Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Leftovers


Nothing like following up a post about losing weight with a post about food. But I actually used a Good Housekeeping recipe (instead of putting it in a notebook for oblivion) the other day for Peruvian Fish Soup. My husband had traveled years ago in Equador and said he had eaten a Peruvian fish stew that was very good and so I had to try this when I found it. It turned out so delish that I am going to share. And, yes, it is relatively healthy and low-calorie.

1TBsp. veg oil
1 med onion chopped
1 Serrano or jalapeno chile (we used two but made sure to remove the seeds)
2 cloves fresh garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
2 bottles clam juice (I only had one, but it didn't seem to hurt the flavor)
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cups water
1 lb. red potatoes in 1 inch chunks
2 limes
1 1/2 lbs cod fillet (I had a pound of frozen bass from last summer's catch)
1/2 pound med scallops (bought these on the day --kind of expensive!)
1/2 pound clean squid (I opted out of this ingredient after spending the $$ on scallops)
1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro chopped.

This soup was divine and just a little hotter then next day after all the spices mingled. If you want the directions to prepare this ( it take 20 minutes to prepare and about another 30 to cook), let me know in the comments below and I will email you!

4 comments:

  1. It looks good, but I am a weinie when it comes to peppers. I cannot cause of my gut disease....more than you need to know.lol
    I love the header, by the way....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would probably love that, but mr. kenju eats no fish, so it would be wasted on us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious!

    Love your new banner (header) and the font (letter) is bigger and more comfortable to read!

    HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.