Saturday, May 24, 2008

Life Story #14--Someone Else's Life


I may do windows, but I don't do lawns. For some exotic reason I have avoided mowing lawns my entire married life. We have had both sit-down and push mowers in our house-owning life, and yet, while I do not mow the lawn, I will do with enjoyment the edging with the weed-eater. The grooming of the vast lawns we have owned in our married life has been left to hubby. I think it is because I do not like engines and all the idiosyncratic illnesses that they get. Hubby is now overseas for a while and the lawn has enjoyed the cool spring and weekly soaking rains and soon was lush and thick and needed a mowing.

I called the young man in the middle of the photo above about mowing the lawn, since he is one of the few people I know in this area. We met him while getting the house built. He and his two young friends in the background of the photo helped our builder put in the retaining wall. He is out of high school and I have no idea what his plans are for the future. He does not have the motivation, the learning or the money for college. He seems to be following in the footsteps of his mentor in the foreground of this photo to work in the building industry.

He is a quiet, shy and handsome young man that brings out the mother in me in an instant. When he had finshed our huge lawn with the push mower, I paid him probably double what a lawn mower gets in this area, certainly out of guilt for his circumstances. I gave him a large box of warm strawberries I had just picked, and with a surprised pleasure, he sat on the bench under the front porch eating them and drinking the water I gave him while waiting for his girlfriend to pick him up. He enjoyed the strawberries more than any young person I had ever seen. My children like strawberries, but don't really enjoy them with the enthusiasm this fellow had. I hadn't washed them and told him that even though they were organic, they probably had some dirt on them. This did not defeat his pleasure in any way.

Now for the rest of the story. Shortly after that picture above was taken, this young man along with the two boys in the photo and another boy not shown, were involved in a tragic car accident. There had been alcohol and teenage carelessness in the mix. Fortunately, no other car was involved. Among the four young men in this accident one died, one is now a paraplegic and one is in jail for drunken driving. This young man who mows my lawn escaped with his life 'intact' but forever changed and is now slowly piecing his spirit together.


7 comments:

  1. Oh my, Tabor! That is so sad! Having been a careless drinker myself for a few years, it just sends chills up my spine.

    There is a certain amount of heredity to drinking and a lot of environmental conditioning. I hope that his spirit is strong and he finds the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad for him. Sometimes the psychological consequences are worse than the physical ones. I hope he will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so scary for us all and so sad. i wonder how i made it through college alive sometimes considering some of the stupid things i did. i am glad you have taken him under your wing. he probably needs it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so SAD to see teenagers (or anyone for that matter) die from drunk driving.

    We hear so much about the 4000+ soldiers that have died in Iraq/afghanistan war, and if we put as much press into the 6500+ teenagers that die EVERY YEAR from alcohol related car accidents, maybe we could stop it. Noone wants to touch that topic though! Might piss off some liquor companies/lobbyists that are funding politicians!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One mistake and a life is changed forever. So sad!

    I'm still drooling over your pies, PLEASE come visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing story, told well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sad indeed.

    Want to know the bit that got me going the most? Knowing how very much he savored the berries. I don't know. You put that across so very very well (like you always do - thank you) and that part was very touching to me.

    It'll be good of you to keep in touch with the young man... maybe find odd jobs for him. Small things that might not cost much more than a bowl of berries.

    This post was a treat.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.