Monday, May 26, 2008

Braggin'



Thoughts of appreciation to those who have given their lives for freedoms too precious to define on this Memorial Day.

I am alone today as my husband has always had the unique ability to schedule business trips over three day weekends--this really means much less now that we are both 'retired.' My daughter is with friends and her family in New York. My son ... my son...what he is doing today is anyone's guess.

Yet all is well with my small soul as I got up early (5:00 a.m.) and started cooking at 6:00 a.m. I am spending next week with my daughter due to a number of social activities as well as getting hubby at the airport near her house. Therefore, at 8:01 I have completed a Tuna Noodle Nicoise Casserole, a Turkey Cheese Enchilada Casserole and 23 Devils Food cupcakes. I still have to make a fresh strawberry pie. I NEVER go empty handed to the house of a woman with small children. One MUST bring food. I can hear the envious sighs from across the blogosphere.

The Devils Food cupcakes are supposed to be one of those super healthy recipes...one small (13 oz) can of pumpkin filling and one devil's food cake mix. That is all that goes into this recipe! Mix and bake as directed on the box. I have never tried this recipe. The batter was sort of fudgy rather than battery, but seemed to taste OK. We will see how these low calorie snacks turn out. I did not think I would finish the casseroles so early, so now I have the rest of the day to get the potted plants ready for being ignored for the next 6 days.

I also made a banana cream pie...not my favorite but a great way to use the extra pie crust and leftover bananas.

7 comments:

  1. You have already cooked more in one day than I would do all week! But I am about to make chicken salad out of the leftovers from last night's grilled chicken - so the day will not be a total waste!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed!!!!!!
    My youngest daughter and family are in Florida, my older daughter working and my son finished spreading 6 bags of mulch for me in my new garden area.
    Alone, do not feel like cooking so guess I will make a tuna sandwich and maybe some stirfry tonight with shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would gladly send you my address so I can help you get rid of that banana cream pie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That strawberry pie is making my mouth water! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, that woman with small children is wicked lucky! Wish I were there, specially for the strawberry pie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With my daughter about to produce my first grandchild in a few weeks (she is in France at the moment, with her legs crossed I hope) I shall remember these words...."I NEVER go empty handed to the house of a woman with small children. One MUST bring food."

    Yet again, Tabor, you trailblaze for me!

    Deep bow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I get a mmm mmm mmmmmm?

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.