Sunday, November 27, 2005

Mixed Thanksgiving


I think most families find the holidays very mixed, at best. Relationships with relatives and in-laws are not perfect and so we try to be on our best behavior to make the holiday perfect. On top of that, we may see people we haven't seen in a year or more and want this time with them to be filled with the best of sharing while trying to run around and do all the other tasks at hand.

As I look back over my holidays while growing up, there were days with tears, days with resentment, days with fullness of feelings to the point of exhaustion. Most of my holidays were good, a few excellent, and a few (especially during my teens and twenties) filled with foot-in-mouth disease and anger.

Last week's Thanksgiving was at my daughter's. She invited the parents-in-law and my son (whom as you know I don't see often enough). The main attraction, besides football, was Xman, of course. He was on his best behavior, while being exhausted before the evening hours. My son was very affectionate to us, and both my husband and I were a little surprised at this since he is 25 and also a bit of a withdrawn person. I thought this over and think it was because he has not seen us in a little over a month, and he saw the change that age brings with time. I remember not seeing my parents for two years and flying home and feeling so shocked at the airport to see how old they had gotten while I was busy living my rich life. When you see someone weekly you don't notice these changes in them.

I had to cook only the sweet potato casserole and the sausage stuffing casserole. Everything else was done by my daughter! So that made the work insignificant on my part.

Another strange thing about this Thanksgiving was a call to my brother in Colorado to touch base with that side of the family. My sister and her family were there. My other brother and his wife are in Madagascar on a volunteer research project and not in attendance this year for the first time. My father has moved in with my brother in Colorado since the death of my mother this past spring, so this was the first Thanksgiving for them without my mother. I and my family played pass the phone to talk to all, except for my Dad. He wouldn't come to the phone saying he was too busy eating. I know that he wouldn't come because his hearing is so bad these days that phone conversations are very difficult for him, and this embarrasses him. He has always hated the phone, even when his hearing was fine. He will talk to my sister when she calls from Denver mid-day to check on him, but he is very comfortable with her and her voice. I am wondering if this means I may not speak to my father again before he dies...he is 91. They are talking about trying to get him out this spring to us when our new house is done. But, I know enough about life and its tweaks and turns, and that this visit may not happen.

As you can see, it was a very different Thanksgiving for me this year.

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading all about your Thanksgiving, Tabor. Ours are always so quiet here (just Ed, myself and SJ) and although that's how we plan it and enjoy it, I do miss an awful lot of the fun times spent with extended family on that day. As I read along, I reminisced a bit, which is my favorite thing to do - so thanks for that!

    My dad doesn't talk on the phone either - he's always hated it and as with yours, his hearing isn't what it used to be either.

    I'm glad you had a fulfilling holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:13 PM

    I saw my sons...had a neighborhood potluck...We played "celebrity"...lots of activity and visiting. Fun...but I was so happy when I woke up and had today to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And a not entirely happy one, I can see, Tabor. But you do the best you can, so don't worry about it. Keep in mind you are a good person, and you can't make everything well. I know, from reading you, that you would if you could.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the warm colors in that picture! Very nice. Sounds like your son had the holiday spirit inside of him. I hope it stays that way for you. And that little X-Man, what a joy.

    I got to hold my great niece. What a treasure the tiny ones are.

    I suppose that men in your father's generation never were able to show emotion or warmth very well. Hopefully that is changing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:08 PM

    I think I read your brother's blog. He's on Open Diary, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.