Saturday, December 30, 2023

Hanging In There

Finally, the tail end of the long winter celebration is almost done. I have my son and DIL and their little girl coming down this evening. We will be going to a "Festival in the Lights' on the evening of New Year's Day. It is a precious time and I have filled the freezer and refrigerator with pre-made foods. I am nursing a very mild virus (not acting like a cold and not acting like the flu), but certainly makes me feel tired and want to drink hot toddies all day and then sleep.  


I will be recharged by the time they arrive tonight.  We finished all the homemade chicken soup I made two days ago, so I am heating up store-bought.  Hubby has no longer moved into cooking with his dementia.

I have no reason to feel sorry for myself.  I certainly am a privileged old soul.  I can afford crappy pre-made food that tastes better than what many consume elsewhere.  





Above is a photo of us returning after the traditional light drive by.
My DIL said her parents were coming, but then her father came down with COVID and they were not...and now I see photos of them at her house celebrating a belated Christmas in texts, so I really do not know how many guests I will have.

Maybe they are coming?? Maybe not?

I have learned to go with the flow.  Hubby and I will eat store-bought chicken pot pies tonight because the guests are arriving after 8:00PM.  Hubby is out with our electrician, all day today, fixing the dock electric line.  I am lying in bed and reading Obama's first title on his book list, "The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store".  It is good if not great. 

My Christmas was fine with all of the Grands getting something they wanted.  A hand strengthener for my rock climber grandson, a 3-D printer for the younger grandson ( which he proceeded to get chemicals in his eyes while setting it up!), and lots of clothes, jewelry, and cosmetics for my granddaughter.

It is all a little busy for me.  I look forward to January.  I hope all fell into a casual place with your Christmas.  I actually attended a Catholic Mass...virtually.  I also liked the sermon which is a generous review.

12 comments:

  1. You sound tired, a little melancholy, and yet satisfied enough. Entertaining at this stage of our lives is both fun and hard. I searched for better words but that was the best I could do. I am tired too, but still cling to the wonder of the season.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:10 PM

    Happy New Year!
    I missed midnight mass on TV at the Vatican this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am taking it easy, but that's not anything new. I feel ready for a long winter's nap... but I wish you the happiest of new years!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hubbub isn't quite over for you, but you seem to have a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Might want to use a home covid test. It wouldn't be cool to spread such a thing around. Cases are increasing nationwide. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's a quiet time for us as we don't celebrate christmas but Tuesday my daughter and I went to Austin to visit the twins and then Wednesday was my husband's birthday and the Thursday was my volunteer day so three busy people days in a row. tomorrow in mimosas with brunch, our only holiday ritual.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Christmas experiences. So sad Hubby has dementia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you still have the little ones to enjoy. Christmas is one of those seasons that is much divided into our lives and our kids based on what to do. It's been years since I've been to a Mass. I miss it but it doesn't work now for us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The holidays have taken on a bare minimum aspect for me and I find it quite suits. Best to you for the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I pray you and your family have a wonderful time together and a blessed and beautiful 2024!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope everything is going well on your end without too much stress. Things have finally almost calmed down here. But wouldn't you know the manager of the day care center called me this afternoon after my husband picked up mom that someone sitting close to mom just tested positive with COVID. I did not need this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:48 AM

      Oh that is not something we want to think about as the holidays grow close. I am so so sorry! Keep us posted.

      Delete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.