Thursday, January 06, 2022

Summary of How This Year is Starting

Well, everyone, I am thinking, was glad to kick 2021's butt out the back door and welcome in 2022. And 2022 has not been shy. He/She(they?) arrived on time and semi-quietly in my neighborhood.  I arose early since I was too rude and lazy to greet it at midnight.  The neighborhood was quiet and actually not too cold. I was surprised to see roses still in bloom.  And the hellebores were forming buds just a bit early.




Unknown to me 2022 had invited a jet stream of cold air just to the north waiting to collide with the warmer rainy air that we were getting.

2022 could hardly wait to say "Boom!  Gotcha!"  The snow was fast and heavy and powerful and up to 2 inches an hour. ("Betcha wish 2021 had stayed longer!")



My neighbors to the north got 8 inches.  We got 5.  And by mid-morning, we also lost power.  I had not bothered to fill the buckets with water.  Since we are on well water that is pumped by an electric pump, what does this mean?  Having lived many years overseas with periodic power outages, I knew and quickly put stickers on all the toilet seats.


We have a wood fireplace and can keep reasonably warm, except for the fancy high ceilings which we designed into our major living space!  We have a gas range and can cook food in pots when needed.  I made soup.  We were without power for 24 hours.  A baby inconvenience from when we were out of power for almost a week due to a hurricane many years ago when we lived in the city.

2022 got bored with our neighborhood and stranded hundreds of automobiles for well over 30 hours on a major highway north of us.  People were stuck in their vehicles in the cold, many without water, food, medications, and warmer clothing.  One truck was a bread truck and the owner told the driver to distribute the bread!

My daughter and her family made it home from Colorado the night before the storm, so I guess 2022 was distracted and decided not to strand her for hours in that Denver airport that is so dysfunctional in so many ways.

Yesterday our friend who is a local nurse called to tell us the COVID-Omecron wave had hit big in our little county and the hospitals were packed.  She insisted we stay home as much as possible as this new version was 3 times as infective even with the milder version. 

Yes, there is another snowstorm about half the strength on its way tonight.  My holly trees have lost their crowns in the weight and my neighbor just got a mid-sized tree off the back of her truck.  At least the sun shining on the fresh snow is beautiful.  2022 is not done with us yet as it is only(early) January.




The winter is still beautiful with all its dangers.


13 comments:

  1. Yes, 2022 has just begun and already it's not looking much better than its predecessor. Sigh. Glad I'm old and not just starting out in life. Good post, Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is pretty and that's how I like it, in pictures. Everything in this house is electric except the water heater and the house heating which needs electricity to run. It's a good thing our winters usually aren't severe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems everyone is getting snow and we aren't. I wouldn't mind a nice snowfall. Although we've had some snow, we haven't had a pretty fall yet. Of course, we have a cover of snow that won't leave us until March because that is how it works here. But that isn't pretty, especially since it has been frozen over by wet precipitation more than once -- freeze and thaw.

    As far as fireworks go, don't be intimidated. It's easy. Tripod, manual mode, ISO 100, f11, 4 seconds, and a remote trigger helps (relatively inexpensive as long as you get an off-brand). Also manual focusing. You set the focus once, probably at infinity, and don't touch it again. Everything is set now with no more work to do. You are free to just click away to your heart's content. I know it sounds like a lot all at once, but it is all easy really. If it was difficult, I couldn't do it. 😀

    I hope you get a chance to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our snow is finally melting away, just a few piles left along roadways and in parking lots. We are getting cold rain, but north of us and in the mountains, snow continues to pile up. I like the beauty of fresh snow, but not the inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those last two photos. Winter can be beautiful but challenging. I am glad 2021 is gone but this year is shaping up to be a tough one too, at least the early part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I intended to see out the old year to make sure it had ended but it slipped away while I snoozed and the new year provided one of those fresh new days when anything appears possible. I'm keeping my head down until the possibilities show themselves. Thanks for the beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Storm forecast, first thing...rush to fill tub for flush water. Glad electric outage didn't last.
    Beautiful photos! The one if sun through the trees is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We haven't had snow yet, but I heard about that mess on I95 south of Washington DC. I'll sure remember to double and triple check the weather forecast before I drive anywhere next time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's actually been cold down here too but nothing like to the north and no snow. I like watching the snow but have had enough of it in past years to know how inconveniencing it can be especially if power goes out in the country. We do have generators or rather now our son does at the farm. We have used them on the vacation trailers too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have shut me up!!! I was complaining about getting two inches here in Pittsburgh - LOL! I hope you continue to have power and stay safe and warm!!! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  11. Winter is beautiful in many ways, i'm still glad we don't have snow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of our best gifts from 2021 was to finally get Rural Water out here. No more worry about having to go out in the freezing cold and re-start the well pump.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My son got a LOT of snow in Maryland and my grandsons LOVED it. Your roses look so delicate and pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.