Thursday, November 26, 2020

ThanksGiving

This is my favorite holiday. 


It falls usually on the mildest of days before winter and therefore you can have a fire in the fireplace or not!

It is a holiday where religion or lack of religion does not matter. You can still be thankful for all that you have been given and appreciate those around you whom you love whether you are thankful to a God or to good luck or to some mysterious Karma out there.

This is a holiday where you can eat most of the items on the table.  There is enough there to avoid allergies, avoid fatty foods, or just throw out the diet for 24 hours.

This is a holiday where people bring their best dishes and it is like going to a fancy restaurant with a large menu of endless suggestions.

(Yes, I am ignoring the history of how we treated Native Americans and tried to pretend that we were a peaceful refugee in a wonderful new land.  That was bad, but I am sure there were stories of refugees getting along with the natives back then as there are stories today of the same with new refugees.)

This year on Thanksgiving we must remember that even alone, we have much to be thankful for.  There is always some part of this past year that was rewarding or surprising or just peacefully there.

I hope that you can start a list of thankfulness and watch it grow as we move into the New Year.


14 comments:

  1. What I like about Thanksgiving is the general attitude of gratitude. People seem kinder then. Happy Thanksgiving to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you read Heather Cox Richardson's newsletters but her today is about thanksgiving and while the Pilgrims and the Native Americans did share a harvest meal, that's not really where the holiday came from. During the Civil War some of the northern states declared a day of thanksgiving one or two years to try and boost moral . It was Lincoln that initiated the holiday we celebrate today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also feel so much gratitude around me, for all that we have, even in the middle of a pandemic. I am also especially grateful for my virtual friends, who give me a chance to see how others spend their days. Thank you for being one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always thought that Thanksgiving sounded like a good idea for a holiday. It's not one of our customs. But hearing of others celebrating it causes me to stop and give thanks for all my blessings. This year it seems even more appropriate that we evaluate the good in our lives, and, if possible, put aside the rest of it just for a day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautiful day in our Northern Florida city with a high of 82 degrees. Sometimes I miss the colder weather in Maryland and fires in the fireplace, but I never miss shoveling snow.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being thankful in trying times can be a challenge but it can refocus us on the good in our lives too which is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we need Thanksgiving... especially in November (which I find a dreary month) and especially THIS YEAR! We need to make time to be grateful... just to be alive when so many have lost their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right about Thanksgiving. It is a time for everyone to have something to be thankful for. I saw a homeless man on the news who was ask what he was thankful for and he said he was thankful to be alive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:41 AM

    It does seem to be a nice holiday. When I was little, I thought it was so boring. I think what made it nice is that no one turned on the t.v. to watch football or parades! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is always something for which to be grateful. This time of year is a wonderful reminder to look for and savor those things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you had a peaceful Thanksgiving with much to be thankful for. I really love this post. I especially agree with you that ALL religions or non-religious can celebrate this time of thankfulness and gratitude. I also agree with you about remembering that it's not a time of happiness for native Americans. I never had my 1st graders dress up as native Americans and told them that the peacefulness between the native people and new settlers was sadly short lived.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving, Tabor...times spent with loved ones. :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.