Monday, July 06, 2020

Food and Flowers

In line with everything else that is unpredictable this year, our garden has been sporadic in its production. We got many sweet peas to eat, just not an abundance to freeze. (In actuality, when I freeze them, they do not taste nearly as good and we end up throwing the last few frozen bags out! )

 On the good side, there is not an abundance of Japanese Beetles dining on everything in sight. On the bad side, I have seen only 10% of my normal butterfly population at this time. Even the caterpillars are not eating away at my fennel as they usually do. 



 The heat and humidity are intolerable and thus you must garden before 8:00 AM or not at all. I did just 30 minutes of weeding and the sweat was leaking into my eyes!  Most of my flower beds have soaker hoses, so I do not have to stand outside holding a hose and trying to avoid wetting the foliage.


 Hubby got up early today and went fishing! He went alone as he was unable to get a friend to go along, and I worry about that a bit. The fish head will make great bait for crabs!  (Note he always wears a bandanna these days in case some emergency comes about and he has to talk to strangers.)

He also harvested the small number of blueberries that are just getting ripe yesterday and they will be dessert tonight. I will make a clafoutis for the first time.  We grew blueberries at the old house and they were so abundant we gave away pints.  Our shady and clay-like soil here at this house has made growing blueberries a big challenge and we are lucky to get just a few pints.


Today is a good day.  I am going to sleep through the bad days, I have decided.

15 comments:

  1. Sleeping through the bad days - good plan. The blueberries look wonderful. I just made us a blueberry dutch baby the other day. I have never made a clafoutis - may have to try that. Oh, just googled it and the recipe seems to be almost the same as a dutch baby...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clafoutis, what is it. Yes, I slept away yesterday morning. Yes too, that guy with the fish looks very triumphant. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a French dessert...waffle batter and fresh fruit. But the Frech always make it more fancy. YOu can do it. Look up a recipe.

      Delete
  3. Well, I had to Google clafoutis also, and it does sound wonderful.
    We are picking and enjoying raspberries from our newly replanted patch. The two year old canes are producing big fat juicy berries, so far just enough to eat fresh. I have them on my cereal, on my yogurt, and, just maybe, with a bit of ice cream in the evenings.
    We don't have your heat or humidity but I can't garden in the sun now, so my gardening chores move around with the shade. Starting next week, my gardening will come to a halt completely for at least a month as I recover from surgery and a back I am not allowed to bend. It will be time to just enjoy what we worked hard to achieve so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love blueberries and hope our son will be harvesting ours. Not sure they could grow down here. He bought chicks, which means he's got a project ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only sleeping were a choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post! Glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember picking blueberries in New Hampshire when I was a kid. Great times. I love blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think blueberries are my favorite. They are not quite in season here yet. I am enjoying the last of the strawberry season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. May your good days outnumber your bad by a wide margin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos, and tee shirt
    Clafoutis reminds me of buckwheat pancakes with blueberries. I'd rather make a clafoutis.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't seen many butterflies this year but more than last year. hot and humid here to. standing outside in the shade for 10 minutes doing nothing and sweat is dripping off. my blueberry bushes didn't do well this year. probably because I'm pretty much ignored them the last year. they like acidic soil so my might try putting coffee grounds or composted peat on them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is lovely to see someone so upbeat. I notice there are not many butterflies around here either

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sleep through the bad days - wish I could! Insomnia seems determined to stay awhile and chat. It's been hot here, too, and though we are in drought officially now, I still must water the garden if I am to have any harvest at all. Your blueberries are a week ahead of mine - can't wait for the first ones. Meanwhile I will make a cherry clafoutis! Lovely photographs, as always - it's a treat to read and sigh over the flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved the blueberries
    Happy finding your blog

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.