Thursday, April 30, 2020

Masking

I can remember, barely, last year when I was in China and felt sorry that the Chinese have to wear masks as they went about their daily lives in cities like Shanghai and Beijing and other cities we visited. Even our host on our tour boat gave a talk comparing the culture of the west and the east and admitted to longing for the day when his children would not have to shelter inside due to days of heavy air pollution.  The majority of China's energy comes from cheaper coal.

In late January many Americans thought the Chinese were being wussy wearing their masks everywhere.  Many Americans did not comprehend the virus at all.

When the pandemic first started to spread here on our continent you would see the occasional mask being worn by an elder or someone you assumed was immune-compromised or something else.  In early March even I went to the store in our rural area without a mask and saw 15% wearing some face covering.  Many of us felt it was probably overkill.  Consistently, the government said we didn't need masks but just needed to distance.  I felt in the back of my mind that this was really so that people did not rush out to buy and hoard the N95 masks.

There was a back and forth for weeks on how "aerosolized" the virus could be.  There were articles on how far heavy spittle and sneeze drops actually traveled.  Then the scientists' admission (still somewhat controversial) about tiny virus particles traveling distances or hanging in the air for hours.  Whether these tiny vapors are strong enough to be a contagion is still being explored.  Public bathrooms are the absolute worst place to expose yourself as heavy concentrations of the virus were found in patients' bathrooms and areas of heavy use in the reception areas of hospitals.

Then States started to turn the corner and ask people to cover their faces with anything if they went out shopping.  This eventually morphed in laws requiring masks in some areas...such as mine.  Suddenly masking was taken seriously by those snowflakes who follow the science.  Others were blatant deniers but felt they needed to public carry automatic weapons for protection instead.  I will not digress on this flat-earth mentality.

I had two boxes of N95 masks from Home Depot.  One from a time when we were painting and doing sanding work.  Another from an order I made in early January as a precaution.  I gave away the unopened box of 10 masks to our local Fire Department as the Pandemic grew.  Part of the other box I sent to the family for their protection and the rest I put in zip-locks to be used in the car as I have lung issues and both hubby and I are in our mid-seventies.  Once worn they get aired in the car for 4 days and then re-used, which one medical site recommended for those using it much more heavily than we do.

Now the last day of April you will see all kinds of masks with varying degrees of protection being sold in ads or home-made by volunteer groups.  Asia is selling tons of them on Facebook (and probably other social venues) with little facts on how effective they are.  Cotton, batik cotton and quilting fabrics are the best for homemade but should use a wire to fit across the nose which prevents air escape as well as glasses fogging.  They caution against non-natural fabrics and I have found nothing on silk scarves.  I have some quilting and some batik materials but I do not like the ties so am waiting for elastic which I ordered a few days ago.  When I make these I can distribute to those who want or need them and we can use them in the future.

As with any product that is needed masks have become customized.  Sports teams, hobbies, pet breeds, and even hand lettering with the initials of the wearer are being made.  Never let it be said that entrepreneurs will miss a sales opportunity!

In my vanity, I have noticed that you do not need lipstick anymore if you head outside to get mail or food.  If you are female you do not need to brush your hair too much.  By the time the straps are in place, your hair will look reasonably pathetic anyway.

Well stay safe out there and make sure you bring home the correct spouse after your shopping trip...we are all starting to look alike out there.


Please explain this label to me..!

19 comments:

  1. I have yet to wear a mask, but I have yet to be anywhere where one would be needed. There is no point wearing one in the great outdoors as far as I can see. Just mind your distance. If there happen to by any bits of virus in the air, because of air flow physics, they would be unlikely to land on you. I am fairly confident that our area is virus free, but I will still exercise utmost caution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Those who are reasonably cautious will be safer. I have someone coming to pick up plants at my house and I promised him I will remain 10 feet away and wear an N95 mask because he has allergies to all flu shots and his small son has a heart ailment. I will do whatever to make him feel safe including wiping down the outside of the plant pots with alcohol.

      Delete
  2. my husband wears one on trips to the grocery or hardware store. I think the clerks appreciate it. After all, they don't know if we have it. His is a painting mask in a set of 5. He lets them sterilize in the heat after use. I was thinking better would be a hook for it to get direct sunlight as they say it kills the virus fairly rapidly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have several nice cotton masks with replaceable filters I bought a long time ago so I could go out with my compromised lungs when we get our dose of wildfire smoke. They wash well and have a bendable fitting across the nose to adjust the fit. Who would have thought I'd need them for this. We do have Covid now, and pretty much everyone in a grocery is masked and sometimes gloved up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way I am getting my groceries delivered now. Per my doc and kids I am not allowed out. Not happy but not sick :-)

      Delete
  4. Good post.
    I think, that hand cleaner may not have a high enough percentage of alcohol to be considered a sterile source.

    All my life I believed that a sneeze can travel about 20 feet or more. Droplets carrying the virus are less likely to be inhaled at 6 feet? If I hear a sneeze, I will hold my breath until I'm farther away than 6 feet.
    I read a recent article mentioning high thread count fabrics, like having a layer of silk is a good mask material.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started experimenting with different designs for masks in mid March. Your post summarizes beautifully our road to masking. I placed a second order for elastic on March 30th on Amazon. It's coming by "slow boat" from China and still hasn't arrived. I tried hair ties, but everybody's face is different. My daughter made masks for men and women. I'm sticking to one size and letting people adjust with the elastic. I agree that the reason for saying masks wouldn't help was because they knew we didn't have enough for all the health care workers and didn't want people to hoard (which they would). We have just 4 N95s which we're keeping in case (heaven forbid) one of us gets COVID-95.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny thing our country's coronavirus response leadership can't even set such a good example -- failing to wear a mask on a visit to the Mayo Clinic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even more awful his wife said he misunderstood!!

      Delete
    2. I don't think h3e did at all.

      Delete
  7. Mask wearing is not a thing on this island yet. The province is easing on restrictions beginning tomorrow, but we still won’t be able to see our daughter and the kids. We will be able to go for a drive, hike and picnic though so that much is good. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was on a trail yesterday that had lots of people wearing masks, but a few who didn't. Although we were outdoors, there were too many people for me to go without a mask. My friend Melanie said those without were "doing a Mike Pence." We was given a mask while there but refused to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I realize that cloth masks are not really a protection for me, but for others around me. That's why I want those people around me to be wearing them too. I don't like it when I encounter shoppers in the store without a mask. They are recommended but not mandatory here. I don't wear a mask when I am out walking though, because we don't get close to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have an addition to the masks. My husband had to get plumbing supplies to fix a leak in our water system. He wore his usual painting mask in Ace, which is our main source when possible. The clerk asked if he'd like an N95 mask as they had gotten a shipment of them and had one set of 2 masks left. He bought them. He'd have never thought to look for one as he was feeling okay. He said the N95 though is bigger and can be washed. A win/win for the clerk's consideration, and something better to use as I am guessing we are a long way from over this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We mask up for work (obviously) and to go anywhere except for a walk around the block. Let's just hope it is helping.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wear one to the grocery store but that's all but then that's basically the only place I go besides an occasional trip to the feed store but then I live in a rural county with some small towns. I'd say most people here are not wearing masks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our govt is still dithering about masks. They have been dithering about everything, actually, right from the beginning. We’ll be the country with the most covid deaths in Europe. My cleaner gave me one of hers but, as I hardly go out except for solitary walks, there is little need for me to wear it.

    Thanks for your kind suggestion about virtual chatting. I already do that, I speak with lots of people on the phone too, a friend or two come to the door and we stay miles apart away from each other to have a brief chat, I speak to the gardener and to the cleaner, again miles apart. But I must be particularly vulnerable right now because there is no darling husband and no dog and the house is desperately empty of love and kindness. I am over 70 and have health issues, so I can’t really go out freely.

    Good luck to you and your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  14. DH and I wear our masks (ones I’ve made out of quilting fabric and I add a pouch for a hyperallergenic vacuum filter) when we go out to do a grocery curb-side pickup... and when walking at the neighborhood. Otherwise, we stay home. Texas is opening up businesses this week... but our numbers are still rising???

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't wear a mask when I go to the supermarket...which is once a week..sometimes, not until 10 days have passed. However, I am respectful of others, and of the present guidelines set. They are for the good of us all...we must consider the safety of others, not only of our own self.

    Keep taking good care, Tabor. :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.