Friday, April 03, 2020

A Harump Followed by Something Worthwhile

Learning to live in the time of Coronavirus is not easy for those who are inflexible or sorta-flexible or just plain privileged. 



While commercial fishing is allowed, our governor has banned recreational boating. This has resulted in a 15,000 signature petition for him to lift it if boats agree to stay 50 feet apart, only family members on board and no parties on beaches. It is hard for good old boys to give up such a hobby and I can understand why. I am sure the state had images of beer parties and boats rafted together, or remote beach parties, etc. Also, they did not want their DNR officers spending time on drunken get-togethers on the water when they need to focus on other stuff.

Hubby can canoe and kayak as that is considered exercise, so he is not totally dismayed. Our governor survived cancer and has a good knowledge of medical science, but elected by the GOP, the Trumpers are getting mad at him for taking away their 'rights'.  (The right to infect the nation if they want.)  I have learned that many (at least those on FB, Twitter or the media) conservatives are ALWAYS suspicious of science and think scientists are members of some dark-state cult. Pray for those scientists that stand behind the President at each daily briefing and manage to not strangle him while subtly contradicting what he says to keep us alive.

We also learned that we can no longer work in the children's garden to raise food for the free pantry. It seems that the University will not allow volunteers (Master Gardeners) to work on their own. The property is owned by the museum and they do not mind, although they have pretty much shut down their offices. The director of the museum told us yesterday that she is now employed at one hour a week!! Other Master Gardener projects can continue. One is run by a church and its volunteers are not part of the MSG program and the garden is on church property. A larger food garden is run by an environmental organization and pays its staff...so that is considered agriculture which is exempted from the Shelter in Place edict, even though MSGs are part of it. Hubby is bereft that he has planted seedlings in trays and cannot transplant to the children's garden! I have begged him not to chance it because there is a 5,000 dollar fine! I am pretty sure they would waive it, but still.  How would he weed and water weekly anyway?

My online grocery orders arrive with about 70% of what I order. The only things missing are the things I really need like milk and butter! I may have to mask up and go to the grocery,  now that the CDC is recommending masks...after all this time...!  I dropped off the larger portion (10) of my N95 masks to the local Fire Chief in a dash grab process, but retained a small supply in the event we do get sick.




My freezer is full as is my fridge and I cannot complain if I run out of necessities like coffee, chocolate or wine.  I will grow in character...some people have run out of shelter, food and the ability to see their loved ones.

But, having written all of this, I have an excellent uplifting video on the virus. Please watch this doctor and I am sure your tensions will ease:


Short Version
https://youtu.be/Qwx3JMRTz8U


Longer Version
https://vimeo.com/399733860


18 comments:

  1. Thank you. I watched Dr. Price's video. Good information. However. it says the video is abbreviated. I missed the part about being asymtomatic for several days; and the part about how suddenly a seemingly well person can become seriously ill, ventilator ill. Hands to face, sending that message home is Good.

    I read over a few times about can no longer work in the children's garden. It still makes no sense to me. Maybe it's an insurance liability or some people don't know what they're talking about? I believe folks are trying to do the right thing, but in the shadow of a pandemic, they may not always think of all the safe and sensible options. A $5000.00 fine!? Must not be an election year for whoever made that decision.

    ReplyDelete


  2. I watched the video. I hope he’s correct about transmission.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:12 PM

    I'm very curious to see how Sweden does. I've heard they have only a few restrictions. Hindsight is 20/20 so I will wait until then to see how we've all done. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. You hurt my feelings when you wrote that all conservatives are suspicious of science. I like your blog but you are not correct about me! My friend's daughter and son in law and their grandson went out as a family on the bay in their boat when it was allowed, and they are sad they can no longer do that. There were no other people around. I signed up for Instacart delivery from my favorite natural foods store and will report in on how it works. Stay safe and be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Terr, YOu are correct! I should have said the majority that speak out on twitter, FB and TV that are conservatives denigrate science.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your reply to my comment, sweets.

      Delete
  5. My husband used a mask today for the first time. It wasn't a medical one but for painting that we had on hand. We've been hunkering down but not sure if this is the best idea. What if we had all of those most vulnerable-- old, recently traveled, etc. etc. And let others work as they already were? As one who avoids stores, this is not a big problem for me but I feel for the ones who worked in those stores.

    ReplyDelete
  6. our governor has extended the stay at home, only essential businesses open til the end of this month. we have a few N95 masks we use with our glass work which I am holding onto in case it gets so severe we have to wear masks to shop for groceries. I don't understand the prohibition against going out in your boat. seems like a good way to keep your distance while doing something enjoyable or fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for that video, some of the information contradicts what we are being told. I don't see anyone anyhow so I'll just carry on as usual. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been washing my hands often btu i struggle with the no touching my face. I am always brushing hair off my face or resting my chin on my fist as I sit at my desk. And I wonder how often I don't even catch myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watched most of the shorter video and it is reassuring. It seems harder to get COVID-19 than I thought. And as far as touching your face, you don't need to worry once you are in your access controlled house and have washed hands thoroughly and cleaned whatever you brought in from the outside world.
    Restrictions about boating and gardening seem over reactive, but as you noted, there are most likely reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see that the CDC now recommends masks. I watched a pretty compelling, pro-mask video last night, so I guess I am convinced. I just hope that people use them properly and don't expect them to be magical.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too watched the video and it does help alleviate some anxiety. I did know most of that, but its nice to have a doctor confirm it. It's strange as sometimes (mostly at night) I feel anxious and worry about the worse case scenario... and other times I feel that everything will be alright (maybe not economically, but health-wise). We stay home except for DH's daily radiation treatments. Grandson shops for us and uses a mask and gloves. I touch my face a lot... rub my eyes, sit with my head on my hands, etc. But I'm home and wash my hands a lot so it should be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for what you said to Terra. On some things, i am as conservative as they come, and on others if my church knew my stance i might be excommunicated (not really, but some people would probably not speak to me much). You can be a mugwump and believe the scientists.

    If he is correct, and i pray he is, then i will continue with my precautions while cleaning and working for other people and keep my distance as i do so to protect them and me, and that should be enough.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've plenty of supplies, too...as always.

    Similar rules apply here to the boating fraternity, too.

    Take good care...:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think we should go with the scientists, they have an expert hold on things. Lots of advice out there, the video was interesting, touching one's face is so easy but there again washing hands is simple.

    ReplyDelete
  15. For me, this is such a pleasure to come here and read you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missed you so much!! Loved your daughter's (maybe granddaughter's) post on Facebook!

      Delete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.