Monday, March 30, 2020

Notice a Difference?

Yes, the parking lots are emptier if not totally empty in front of our favorite restaurants.  I can order for pick-up, but I am still a little worried about germs for all that.  The photo below was the last time we ate out...March 17...perhaps we were pushing it?



All our meetings have been canceled (which is driving my extrovert husband bananas in trying to find stuff to do.)

We are elderly but fairly active and do not see ourselves as elderly...this has been a strong reminder of how few years we have left on this earth.

Every news report we fall into the "vulnerable" category.

I am close to my children, but we do not talk sometimes for months and that has changed to texting and phone calls several times weekly as they check up on us!

My husband's fishing buddy (in his late 50's) who calls maybe twice a year is stuck at his condo in Colorado and called to make sure we are doing well and to remind us his son, who lives near us, can be called upon for any assistance we might need. Then he tells us his wife's father passed away last week due to the virus...

My next-door neighbor (newly moved in) also offers us assistance if we need it. He is in his late 50s.

Our intermittent helper (gardening and such--the man released from prison last year) calls before he comes to help with mulch and asks if he can bring anything from the store for us.

My own brother ( a real introvert) who never calls me unless we are on travel together and trying to coordinate something or pick a place for a meetup, called to see how we were doing!

I am ordering expensive frozen dinners online as a break to cooking. When I say expensive...it is like eating out without all the ambiance and wine but the same bill. I also think the serving sizes are much like TV dinners and not going to satisfy hubby.

I spend much of my time washing things...not clothes or dishes...but mail, food packages, prescription bottles, and of course, my hands.

We worked in the children's garden today and I discovered that you have no impulse to touch your face when your hands are covered in dirt. Try it.












21 comments:

  1. There is a group of us here who call and check on each other. My husband and I also get out for a walk every day. However, I really miss the grandkids. Thank heavens for technology. Take care you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You for the Loud laughter I just heard after reading about your discovery of dirt on your hands.
    I almost jumped when I laughed.
    Learning to weave might be a good pursuit for your husband. On the blog, Cup on the Bus, Joanne posts about the process. It changed my outlook on fabrics, especially hand woven.
    A difference I notice as a person that stays home a lot anyway, is how staying in is beginning to bother me. I open the patio door to get that fresh air exchange. The outdoors feels more vibrant, refreshing, free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Librarian; What a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to be someone who self-quarantines but it's weird when I find I must do it. It changes things in a way I can't explain. I just hope this gets better soon for the world. We have some gardening going on with no idea how it'll work out as it'll be our first year of growing veggies on this desert land. Should be interesting when the heat hits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See if you can get some shade cloth and hopes for ther really hot weather.

      Delete
    2. hoops..do not understand this laptop keyboard.

      Delete
  5. There are some differences, but i still see too many people, bored, out wandering, going to the store just because they are bored and want a place to go. Since i know i have to stay healthy and stay working for clients who can't do for themselves, this bothers me. Truly i do want to tell them to stay home because i can't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a sign on my door that says "Welcome Home" It's not home, but I don't have to cook either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your are precious to me. Keep focused on your recovery.

      Delete
  7. We have been self isolating for almost a month now. I'm an introvert so it isn't hard for me, but as others have mentioned, it is different when you don't have a choice. Freedom of choice is everything.
    I have been using Face Book a lot to connect with people I know and family members. I also link my blog posts to FB so, since my life is an open book, people pretty much know how we are doing, and it's good to hear back from them too. Tom is now arranging a Zoom meet up for some of his family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea. Our kids Zoom. But they have not done that with us. Maybe wwe will work that out down the line.

      Delete
  8. I think I have talked on the phone with my two kids more in the past few weeks than I did in all of 20!9.
    In fact I had so many people call to check up on me last Saturday that I started feeling like "Geez can I get a minute to myself." Then on Sunday only my son called so I felt sorry for myself. Well. at least I caught myself starting to go there and gave myself a stern talking to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are one smart cookies. We are only a flicker in the universe...but we are a brilliant flicker.

      Delete
    2. Frozen food does leave something to be desired. I've stared cooking again, making soups and stews. Not crazy about it but at least I can have what I want. Love that you have that wonderful yard to be out in. My family is phone, f-book and email connected. My three sisters and I have a 4-way text going several times a day and calls besides. Did my first Zoom.

      Delete
  9. Being the hermit I normally am....by choice...nothing much has changed for me. I'm always in self-isolation...just me and my two furry mates. We enjoy each other's company! They wake up each morning...to make sure I'm still breathing, I think! :)

    Take good care, Tabor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are times when introverts have the advantage. We text more than phone. Even Sue who is an extrovert prefers texting. We have a extended family fb group where we post a daily selfies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. life is the same and yet life is different. being an introvert and naturally anti-social it's just life as usual especially here where there are just 5 confirmed cases in my rural agricultural and ranching county. I'm happy just puttering around in the yard or drawing. nice that so many people are there for you to help out if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I noticed that too -- getting your hands dirty is a good preventive for touching your face. I'm painting the basement walls and stairs ... and keeping my hands away from my face.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is a bloody virus, but, fantastic photos Tabor.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.