Wednesday, February 05, 2020

Woah...were have I been?


Hard to realize I have not posted on my blog in the past two weeks. In reality, I have had nothing to say.   !But that has not stopped me before!   My health (ear infection) seems to be improving, but I am used to improved health before a week's end and not a month's end. Part of my not posting is my depression over the State of the Union and no one wants to read about political opinions when you can get them on TV non-stop. This President has been a gold mine for cable news. I do wonder what they will hype about when he is gone. (Although he does dream about changing that Constitutional restriction for re-election like the Chinese leader did!) 

While the weather is also political, it is unusually warm here.  Days in the 50's and 60's with no snow.  It feels like northern Florida most of the time.  We do get the rare rainstorm, but it is also a little too dry for this time of year.  There have been only a few night freezes.

I realize people need good news, so a dear sweet young man I know has just received two patents for his work on cybersecurity.  He worked day and night for 5 years and he is now wealthy and it is well deserved. 

Continuing technology advances, the University of Toronto Scarborough has, for the first time, turned waste cooking oil—from the deep fryers of a local McDonald’s—into a high-resolution, biodegradable 3D printing resin.

The Pope, yes THE Pope, has given an empty Vatican palace over to the homeless.  That is something to be celebrating, certainly.  

They have discovered that putting patients in hyperbaric oxygen chambers can reduce the symptoms of Alzheimer's.  (Maybe Michael Jackson was smarter than we thought.)

"According to a recently published Gallup poll—the first of its kind conducted in almost two decades—Americans visited the library far more than any other cultural institution in 2019."  That bastion of learning brought in 10.5 trips a year, more than sports events and movie theaters.

So that is at least 5 things to celebrate.  Now go to my other blog for an avian laugh.
















15 comments:

  1. Really ... the Pope gave over Pope an empty Vatican palace to the homeless? Good for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, a pope that actually does what Jesus commanded. and yes, it's the library for me. and that's about right, 10 trips a year except for right now because a friend gave us a box of books. 3 movies a year and 0 sport events.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to focus on good news for a change. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to the Cybersecurity Guy! That is good news.
    Not to be a downer, but libraries turned into Wifi lounges probably increases attendance.
    I miss the books, and heavy oak furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all of the good news. I watched the SOTU performance and your unrelated good news was welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the positive news!! I did not know that about the Pope - how wonderful that he did that!!! Also, so happy for your friend!!! Awesome that he gets the recognition and reward he deserves after putting in all that work!! I have to say though..we were probably NOT wrong about Michael - LOL! Wink Wink...hee hee - HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good news is um good news.

    As for wondering where you have been, I am wondering where you are, for you posted 6 days ago. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I did, but was looking at the wrong calendar.

      Delete
  8. Oh, this was a balm to my soul today! Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could not have watched the SOTU and not get depressed. I've seen all the good parts already anyway. Glad to see you back and making such a good post to remind me why I miss you when you don't show up in my news feed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its good to find things that are good news. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I post most of my political stuff on Facebook and I'm watchdog committed. But it takes a toll. We've gone from the Information Age to the Disinformation Age. Glad to hear that about the Pope.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I sure know what you mean about getting burned-out with the politics in news and wanting to get away from it all. I set aside nonfiction reading and zeroed in on a biography of a now-deceased entertainer who lived when life was saner and the only madness was what she created for herself. Appreciated the news items you shared. Still laughing about your birds conversations on your other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read Pope Francis wants to redistribute income around the world. I've read that the Vatican has a lot of wealth. They could start there ;). Not sure the Cardinals would let him though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Positive news is always good news.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.