Friday, February 07, 2020

Lost in Cathay

Dehazed and photoshopped muchly.
I have learned that the older you get and the more open you are to the differences in earth's universe and the more open you are to people who disagree with you, you realize that the globe is not all that big. We are small in this grand universe and we are closely connected in many ways. Most of us want the same things---a fair chance, honest relationships, a bit of love, and the ability to contribute to mankind in some way.  (Unfortunately, a few of us are broken beyond repair as we can see in the daily news.)

I was in China during the month of October last year (those who regularly read my blog have gotten a window into that trip already).  Therefore, I have followed the coronavirus news carefully and a few theories have come forward that the virus may have been moving through the population way back before December!  A small change in the calendar and my blog might have been written from somewhere else with much more dire news as I spent a few days in Wuhan, mostly traveling outside the city.

I fell in love with the Chinese people as they are wonderfully simple and complex.  They are really very much like us.  I worry about the people I met and those who depend on travel from other countries to fill their restaurants, fill their hotels, eat their food and buy their handicrafts.  I took many photos during my time there and I have today gone through the first three days of our trip and focused on the people to share thinking about their livelihood and health.  So come along for a quick view of Chinese outside the city. (As usual, you can click on the photos for a bit larger view.)



This is a young woman (notice the long hair) setting out fishing traps along the three gorges section of the Yangtze River.  Far from the cities and night lights.


A farm along the steep and unforgiving hillside. I cropped closer for a better look. I do not know if they live there or only work there in the day time.



There is a calm resignation about their stance.


These two men are killing time waiting for someone to rent their vehicle for the somewhat long and steep trip up the hill to the temple.  We walked, but I felt some guilt about that being the "snowflake" that I am.


Three men, two look retired, and I think one is the shop owner.  They are watching the tourists stroll up to the tall Pagoda.  I think you could get a very different quote out of each of them if you have some imagination.


Three Chinese tourists celebrating their success at reaching the top of the Pagoda.  If you can cross the bridge in three steps it means success or love.  They look just like American tourists in their joy.

Hope you have enjoyed this little vignette on the locals.

17 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos Tabor. Glad you made it home safely. Hard times for those people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are all modern humans with the same hopes and desires. we all smile in the same language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, very enjoyable
    Prayers a coronavirus cure is found soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your insights, Tabor. I really love the shot of the three men and their differences despite how comfortable they look with each other. It would make a great subject for a body language discussion. Come to think of it, all the images would.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope they get the vaccine out there soon. i thought about it and your trip. Not so good for those going on tours now. That can hurt a lot of businesses, economics are part of the fear, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been to China six times, but the last one was more than two decades ago. I also fell in love with the Chinese people. It's very sad what's happening there right now. I really hope this will reach its peak and then begin to recede from the country (and the world).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve never been to China so I found this post fascinating. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate your focus on the people as you travel. You travel to learn. I like that.
    I hope the Chinese government has enough kindness in it to help those who will be suffering economic hardship. I suspect many are already living in the edge, even literally, as this post shows.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I found it quite enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We were in China 7 years ago and loved it. I hope all those people are OK. This is such a scary time for them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Chinese people, they are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous6:38 AM

    You are lucky you got your trip in, safe and sound! Yes we are all God's people and we could have been born in China (or anywhere else). It's just chance that we were born where we were. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the tour. One of these days I'd like to get to China.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When someone has been there and seen the people in their everyday lives it seems very hard to imagine them ill and desperate. I do so hope that the virus will run its course soon and the whole nightmare comes to an end.

    Tabor, thanks for your comment on my blog. When I clicked on it I was taken to a dead site, started in 2016, but without your blog accessible. Is that on purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  15. People are people, and my heart aches for those who are surely suffering because of this virus. Thank you for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Appreciate your sharing your perspective and photos. We truly are all the same basically — perhaps some different social customs and expectations unsettling to some people.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have enjoyed your vignette, Tabor...thank you for sharing.

    I'd be scared stiff living on that cliff-side!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.