Thursday, December 19, 2019

When Life Gives You Lemons

My birthday falls in a few days and because it is squeezed close to the holidays, I am not expecting much. I do not care and that is not a lie. As a child, my birthday was important (to me), but because it was squeezed into a year of four other siblings birthdays and always close to Christmas, I only had two real birthday parties in my youth. The rest were family and cake. I felt cheated then but realize it was all unimportant now.  I neither look forward to or dread birthdays.  They are days on the calendar and numbers on my years.  There are far more important days in any life.

Having written all of that I decided to make some cookies.  Well, I decided to do a bunch of stuff.  As my readers may know, I have a Meyer lemon tree.  It is a sad little tree, much like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree, but prior to the photo taken below it had 30 lemons ripening on its scraggly boughs.



I cannot use more than two dozen lemons at one time, so I picked half.



They smell marvelous and are super full of juice.



As I slice them I cannot but marvel at the seeds inside with all their potential to become new young lemon trees, but I have to control myself as I have no room or time in my life for growing more lemon trees.



I have tools for zesting the rind and tools for squeezing the juice.






The juice goes into ice cube trays and after becoming frozen goes into freezer bags for use in the months to come.  The zest gets frozen as well for seafood dinners and soups.  Other lemons are cut in half and frozen for future flavoring.  Then I get a brilliant idea from the Cooks Illustrated cookbook to make some lemon zest cookies.  I do not like this cookbook very much as it keeps giving me recipes that are photographed beautifully but rarely work---at least for me.  But, who does not like cookies?  The fresh zest gets mixed with the sugar and creamed with 2 sticks of butter and the juice gets added to the batter.  Hubby says it smells so good as he watches his football game.



And this is the result of all my labor!  I turned down the heat for the second batch and let them cool a little longer before removing them and this is still what I got!  They are so messy (but quite edible) you have to eat them over the sink!

Alas, when life gives you lemons you can sweep the crumbs off the plate and counter and add to a sealed container for topping on ice cream.



11 comments:

  1. amazing that you got so many lemons off the scraggly little tree. sounds like it's time to get rid of that cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. Well, at least they taste good. How about a lemon meringue pie for your birthday. It's very un-Christmas, just what you might need.
    As one of seven children in a family without much, I never had birthday parties either, not even school parties since my birthday is in July. Maybe that's why I have given myself parties at 50, 70, and 75. I think I'm done with that now too. Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very imaginative with cookies that go wrong. Birthdays are not so important as we get older but it is good to keep having them rather than the alternative. I enjoy a nice meal out with friends or family. I hope you have something nice happen on your birthday. The lemons are amazing. I had one of those trees but it kept getting Gaul wasps attacking it but the lemons still came.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got given a bunch of Meyer lemons last year from someone who had been gifted them by a local friend. I had no idea lemons could be so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And Happy birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They sure look good to me, and I think your cookies must taste good and will make perfect crumble for some upcoming dessert. Happy birthday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When life hands me lemons I make Lemon Curd but that just doesn't sound right, does it? Sometimes creativity pays off, other times it doesn't. At least your cookies tasted good and the leftovers can serve another purpose. You are on to a winner! Happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Home made biscuits are always delicious, especially when made with plenty of butter. Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love lemons, yummy yummy, a lemon cheescake, um. Nice photos Tabor. Oh, happy birthday xxxxxxxxxx.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am trying to catch up on blogs between work and everything else. Wishing you many happy returns of your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday!
    Crumbs for topping is a great idea. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.