Monday, August 26, 2019

Night Visitors

End of August and all of September usually mean the height of crabbing season. Some folks find the whole crustacean body thing offputting. Some folks like crab but prefer it picked by someone else and put into a nice patty with no filler and good seasonings. At our house, we wade in full steam and dump the steamed crabs in a bowl where we can pick them with crab picking tools and get our hands all greasy and out chins covered in Old Bay seasoning. No, I do not have a photo of that disgusting practice. But we are catching crabs and freezing a few while cooking and eating most of the others this month.



The photo above is a bit blurry, but this is what they do, holding claws before we dump them in the steamer pot.

We catch our crabs off our dock by baiting large chicken wire baskets with fish heads or chicken necks and leaving the traps in the water overnight. We now have new neighbors and while heading out the other day for a boating trip I caught this photo of them enjoying their new house on the water. They do not have a boat, but are trying to line-bait their crabs! They brought down family and friends for this new family tradition.  We have also crabbed this way.



Some of our neighbors take out a small skiff and drop floating baited crab traps marked by buoys in the early morning and then go out and check them at dusk.



There is one caveat when eating crabs.  We usually dump the remaining shell and parts back into the river rather than our compost pile.  Sometimes we get lazy.  


One recent night I heard rumbling and thudding and at first wondered if someone was trying to break into the garage.  Then my deductions got honed as I headed toward the back deck and turned on the deck light.


He was wading in full throttle and covered in crab juices.  Turning on the light was a very mild distraction.



Lesson learned.  Get those crab remains out to the river right after dinner!


14 comments:

  1. The best part for me is the raccoon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story. Did he eat all the remains?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caught in the act! What great adventures crabbing for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your visitor might like crabs even more than I do. I bet he slept well that night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how I would have felt to see him munching away like that. But yeah, get those remains out of sight (and smell). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raccoon are just so cute :) Maybe it's not a bad thing that he also got a treat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Around here, you have to listen and watch for the alligators. Sweetie once had to abandon lines, traps, baits and all when a big gator came out and wanted his share.

    Raccoons are smart and aren't going to pass up such a good meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to know more about how you eat your bay crabs. We are used to hard shell Dungeness crabs here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neat photos. I haven't seen a racoon in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  10. when I was about 12 or 13 my parents had a beach house built on the west end of Galveston Island. we were actually on the bay side but the beach was a short walk. anyway, I remember crabbing from the pier and the bulkhead with a chicken neck tied onto the end of a string and a fishing net. always a challenge to get that crab close enough to the surface to be able to sneak the net underneath before it let go and sank back into the water. I loved to crab, never cared for eating them though. my mother and sister did though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have blue crabs in fresh water? Or are you on a salt/brackish water estuary? I don't eat them, or lobster. Too many allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so lucky to have crabs on your doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That's awesome! I remember having crabs in Maryland with Old Bay seasoning. That was the first time we'd ever had Old Bay and loved it. You are so lucky.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.