Thursday, June 20, 2019

Free Days

This past week was a late return from our Father's Day weekend, going through the mail and checking on food and doing about 4 loads of laundry as we had hiked and river canoed. Yes, boring and trite stuff that we all do and which seems to take more time than it deserves. Then there is the yard and garden to revisit. 

Also on the schedule was a Wednesday evening meeting where hubby was giving a Powerpoint slide on the artificial creation of meadows. It is a new trend primarily to return fallow farmland to the meadow bird species. It sounds interesting but is a real effort because on the East Coast meadows most naturally return to woodlands. Maybe I will write a post on the work if readers are really interested. This meeting was supposed to be followed on Thursday by a visit from acquaintances up north who wanted a fishing adventure to celebrate a birthday and then the day after their departure a visit from son and daughter-in-law. My mind was going in circles trying to get a clean and well-stocked house before they arrived. Make sure bedding was all clean, rooms dusted, and lo and behold, they both canceled at the last minute!

It was a feeling like going 90 miles per hour while reading the Google maps very carefully and then finding you had come to a dead end/full stop at the edge of a forest!  Or like walking a tightrope and finding the floor was only a few feet below.



I usually love free time but must admit that I was pretty disoriented until this afternoon.  I have been given a four-day weekend with no plans.  Actually, I still feel a little lost...


14 comments:

  1. Fly out here, and we will tour Balboa Park and have Lunch at the new Italian place down the hill.
    Oh, you are going to have a grand quiet time. Yes, I would like to read an essay on Meadows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now boring.
    Do not want to go anywhere
    just be home
    and do what I can do
    at this time.
    Love it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are now moving slowly and more meditative. NOT BORING. There is the light of truth even in slow activity.

      Delete
  3. wouldn't nature restore her meadows once human quit messing around with them? four days with no one expecting anything from me? I consider that a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy those unexpected times with nothing to do. Something always presents itself though. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. But you have a clean, well stocked house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After all that activity and post-activity activity, I'm pretty sure I'd be ready to drop for a few days. I'd be interested in reading how you create a meadow. Our fallow land quickly reverts to forest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate the getting ready for company, but love the company. However, I also secretly love no plan days. I always sleep better the night before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it Eientein said something about time slows the faster you go? You've gained a fews days of life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please enjoy some free time, relax in your nice, clean house and have the meals you would have served for yourself and your husband, you are worth the time you put in for them to be spent on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand the feeling. It's unsettling to work up to something and then not have it happen. However, I agree that it's the best way to get things done around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our week has been chaotic but mostly for my husband than for me. I get disrupted by him though. It was haying week as well as getting a bigger flatbed trailer for a neighbor, etc. etc. I think the week-end will be quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am also dealing with changed plans today. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can commiserate with your feelings. I'm now trying to get ready for daughter and son with families arriving next month. So much planning and preparation to do. If something happened and they couldn't come, I'd be upset actually. And yet, it's nice to have a breather too.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.