Thursday, May 30, 2019

What Was the Question?

Whether to talk (write) or not, that is the question. Some of the bloggers I read apologize for their political comments when they get to a place in their thoughts where frustration and amazement make them "bloviate". I am of the opinion that as long as you indicate where the post is going, the readers can avoid reading or get involved. It is your blog after all. I am a strong advocate for free speech. How can I consider all sides of an argument if most of one side opts out of participating?

But, having said that you must also honor those who disagree with you in your comments.  BUT only rational disagreement.  Name calling reflects the immaturity of the commenter and does not move the conversation toward a meeting or even changing of the minds.

While I do not like the polarization that seems to be a global disease these days, I am not a fan of retreating into a private world forever and pretending it will all work itself out.

Last week we attended a dinner with friends.  We have known them a few years and they are the kind of people who come from "good stock."  The wife grew up on a farm in a large family and has all the strong skills that were needed and which served her well when she married a man in the Air Force and had most of her life to mold into that dynamic career of his.  Military wives rarely get choices in where they live and whether they can have a career. This is especially true if they are married to a man who becomes a three-star General in the Air Force. 

This couple did many amazing things and still do!  They took in military foster children and saved lives.  They had three beautiful children of their own.  She, like us, loves gardening and was featured in the magazine Fine Gardening a few years ago.

Where am I going with this?   Prior to the dinner on their lovely patio, my husband was drifting into politics, as he sometimes does because he loves this country, he loves the environment and he is depressed at how we are treating both.

I came in on the middle of the conversation where the former Lieutenant General said something very calmly to the effect that he learned while in the military to follow orders and stay out of politics and he was keeping that model.  The conversation moved onto something else.

I was thinking that the retired military should not opt out of commenting on politics.  They risked their lives and the lives of others for this country and certainly should be clearly spoken and listened to as they have an important perspective on so many issues.  He is no longer on active duty.  I do realize that he may feel he could drift into areas of security that cannot be discussed.  I respect his opinion to stay out of the arguments and discussions, but I am so glad that many Generals and Admirals, etc. are clear where they stand and feel free to speak out when the time warrants.

18 comments:

  1. Perhaps he didn't feel comfortable about the time and place. Sometimes you just don't want to get into it. We have more conservative friends, and we mostly avoid politics because it's easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I have no idea if he is conservative or not. I think they are moderates.

      Delete
  2. I am even having a hard time commenting here. It is almost scary t speak your mind in today's society. I agree that the country is headed in a very scary direction (environmentally and politically) but so many others disagree and it is so hard for me to see how they can??? Anyhow...off to plant my head back in the sand for sanity.....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No sanity here. I do wish Muller(S) had been more concise. I was actually getting calls about his speech yesterday. One friend kept telling me that this was the end of the Republican Party. I don't think she was seeing cleanly. It certainly has been totally amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. as you surely know, I rarely hesitate to express my opinion. and I have blogged many times on the end times of this nation as I have known it. in the past I have been able to accept other political opinions and keep friends but this time is so different, so horrible, so destructive to this nation and the planet that support for Trump is a deal killer. I have unfollowed/unfriended extended family members on FB because of it and avoid any social setting where I would have to 'be nice' and avoid politics with people whom I consider friends here in this very 'red' small town. However I do wish your ex-military friend had spoken out. Trump claims the military is loyal to him. I want to hear them say their loyalty is to the country and the constitution. and what a pathetic vindictive little coward insisting the ship named after McCain be removed or the name covered up and it's crewmen and women given the day off so as not to wear their hats with the name of the ship on which they serve while Trump was in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We avoid politics with some people who are much more conservative than we are. That’s what works best for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be nice to sit and discuss issues calmly with a friend, whether you agree or disagree. Yes, now that he is retired, he may need to revise his policy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that we must speak up. Once we have done that, if the person of the opposing point of view is someone close to you, say your own sister :-( , and is just as outspoken, then eventually I have to let it go and just not talk about our political differences. I am still finding it very hard to maintain my close relationship with her.
    It would have been so informative if your friend the General had shared some of his thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you have trie to meet half-way. I am sorry that you cannot find a middle ground, but when push comes to shove we have to bear the burden or losing family members and friends. It is a terrible thing to be tested in such a way.

      Delete
  8. Politics has surely ended many friendships , n Mother said not to discuss that or religion at dinner to be polite. I can see that point.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have all become very tribal and there is nothing that anyone can say that will change minds on either side. I have dear friends with different political views than mine. Before 2016 we could discuss politics without getting mad at each other. It is different today and we see them less and when we do, we talk about local happenings and, of course, the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't remember people having to stifle themselves and their opinions on political matters in the past until just these last three years or so. We were able to say what ever our opinion was and the other person could too. No big deal if there were differing opinions. But now, it is just not that way even with family. People get seriously angry at others. Sometimes I am so upset about different things going on politically that it is very difficult not to speak about those things to/or in the presence others. It can make for some nerve wracking gatherings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't talk about politics on my blog because of the unwanted attention I get from people who don't see things my way. I have friends and family on opposite sides of almost every conversation, but I stay out of it as much as I can. At this stage in my life, my twilight years, I try to surround myself with loving people and not angry ones. It's the only way I feel I can attain any serenity during these terrible, trying times. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sigh... I have a few family and friends who don't agree with what we feel, but I prefer not talking to them about it. They are as set in their opinion as I am in mine. My sister-in-law told her husband NOT to talk politics with us because she knew where we stood. When she and my husband (her brother) went out to shop for something her husband started complaining about some political thing and I told him exactly how we felt and WHY about the current president. I think he was a little shocked. My sister-in-law came in at that point and told him, "I TOLD you not to talk politics." Well... I felt OK about it because now we knew exactly why he felt as he did and he knew why we felt as we did. And it was good. He still kept his TV on Fox News though. Tsk.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I appreciate your view point. However, I believe you can make the point without posting about people you are close enough with to have dinner. If they approve, then it isn't clear they have. I am opting out of not speaking up about about posting about others without indicating they have agreed to be posted about. Tech savvy people, from what I read, can figure out who is who by reading a blog.
    As for the man's choice to not talk politics, I believe that his statement is enough, stands on its own as an important part of the political conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be true or I could be changing the specifics enough to keep them anonymous. No one I know, except through blogging, reads my blog.

      Delete
  14. Our friends and family have many different political views these days. Sometimes I think we all want the same thing, but have different ideas as to how to go about it. But we agree to disagree... and that's that. I certainly wouldn't be willing to lose a friend or family member because of it. It seems that one must respect another's right to their opinion - even if its difficult to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why can’t people disagree civilly on issues, and just accept that we agree to disagree, then change the topic and still be friends?

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.