Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Still Life

One of my favorites in the flower family, and I have many favorites, is the peony. My peonies open their huge fancy blooms in May and struggle to remain upright in the spring rains, even with my careful fence supports, and thus I frequently cut their heavy, richly scented heads and put them in a vase before they fall into wet clumps on the ground. They are old world beautiful and certainly lend themselves to bouquets and art.  Some can live for hundreds of years and the petals are edible!  For centuries peonies have been used in still life paintings. I am not there yet with photography...but I keep trying.


The original


Too rich in color for my taste.















15 comments:

  1. Ohhhh.... nice! I love it. I think the original is delightful. The others are not bad, either. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! My mother grows these and I love the flowers and the scent!!! Watch out for the ants though - HA! Definitely my favorite also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My only flowers on my property are the Iris and Daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see the rationale for working on the background. Can you take a similar photo but drape something or their over the couch? Other than that,I think your setup is quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I could and when I am not so lazy or busy (we have to shock the well today) I do exatly that. Maybe ny next post I will work on changing the backround.

      Delete
  5. peonies won't grow down here unfortunately. your manipulations of the photo are pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you have arrived! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have most beautiful peonies, and i like your still life photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The peonies are beautiful, and I like your having fun with photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also love peonies and currently we have none as we lost them for assorted reasons; so I'll enjoy yours

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spring is not spring without peonies

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is beautiful, a work of art. Turquoise is my favourite colour and for me it just loves pink to cuddle up to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree...they are always such fun to look at. There are peony farms near my daughter Milaka's house. She took us by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.