Tuesday, April 02, 2019

Linda Got it Right!

How appropriate that Linda Letters got 110% on my guessing game in the prior post! She is in sync and a very detail person! Do not go visit her blog if you have garden envy issues. She and her husband have created little bits of paradise everywhere.

For the first time this year, we hired a young man to help weed and mulch. He actually did most of it as hubby cleaned out the shed and worked on the garden tools and I cleaned out the house.   Hubby got distracted by an old golf club he found in the shed....



The man who helped with our landscaping is actually 42 and we hired him from a church program where they help lost souls find rehabilitation. He used to be an electrical engineer, also worked as a carpenter and spent seven years in prison for killing someone with his car while under the influence. He is 6 foot 3 and a gentle bear of a man. He tends to work very slowly and methodically, but our beds have never looked so good and I feel no guilt in not spending the five days out there with him. (Hoping and praying for his return and getting a job.) We used a half dozen cubic yards of mulch.  What a luxury to be able to get all my seedlings planted, all my container pots painted, and ready things for the plant sale.  April is a crazy month.



We also hired another man who owns a cleaning company to power wash the house, bleach-wash the gutters and deck, and hand clean my dozens of windows. I gave up on doing it last year as I had so many interruptions. Everything was covered in dirt and algae from two years of neglect. Now the house sparkles as if new!


We rewarded ourselves with a lamb chop BBQ dinner on the newly washed deck.  (Now all I have to do spray paint that table in the coming week!)


Spring can be exhausting and demanding, but it is so welcome!



15 comments:

  1. It looks like you're just about ready for the warmer seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Linda for getting it right. I had no idea, of course, about either the bags or the TV show. So glad you had such fine help, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have mixed emotions about mulch. it does make things look tidy and helps retain moisture (I always wonder though if when I water it makes it past the mulch and to the dirt) but it also prevents bumble bees which burrow in the ground from burrowing in the ground and we need all the bees we can get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first year I returned to mulch. In years past we used a soil based product, but the weeds just took over. I have plenty of ground elsewhere for burrowing bees, and I get tons of other pollinating types of bees, so I consider it a fair trade off. I also have drip hoses beneath the mulch on a timer, so the ground gets good water.

      Delete
  4. Looks great. I am a big fan of hiring someone to do the jobs we used to do. I consider it a win/win. It gives younger people jobs and saves our backs. We had a lot of years of doing it all but am now glad to have the option of changing it around. Today a crew comes to start building the new carport and I am looking for someone good at desert landscaping for some of the rest we'd like to get ready for a hot summer when we aren't here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks great! How lovely that employ so many people that are looking for work and pay! You gave me an idea with spray painting your outdoor table - I may have to look into that for mine....have a great day! Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo for deciding that you didn't have to do it all by yourselves. Why not have your new helper paint the table too. Hugs from here,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great way to get the work done and give another a hand up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup! I know just what you mean about Linda. She is super smart and knowledgeable about so many things. And her garden is totally gorgeous! I've been there. I know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, hooray for me. :-) It wasn't hard to guess, but I was impressed with your organisational tool. the gardeb bed bags are a great idea.
    I am also just about at the point of hiring out some jobs. I do believe it is time to pay someone to wash our windows, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for giving the man work, i know he is grateful for the opportunity to earn an honest coin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All so lovely. Looks like you have your Spring upgrade already done. Now what?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous1:05 PM

    Everything looks so nice! My husband cleaned the outside of our house and a neighbor below us had someone power wash his. Some people never think of doing that and it really makes a difference! Nice of you to give that man a job. I feel sorry...the law is really tough on this subject and not tough enough on other crimes. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your husband has the right idea ... put the golf club to use, not the shovel or the rake.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.