Friday, January 18, 2019

Notes on a Journey to the End of Time

My husband has been on an almost two-week long trip. For those of you who are widowed, this may have less meaning to your understanding of my adjustment to living alone.  I have totally given up the meal planning as I am the only person eating.  I have a batch of leftover chili, a few frozen dinners, and a ham and potato casserole which was left by the guys.  

I have made long lists of projects and want-to-do lists that have been rattling around in the back of my head before total freedom from meal planning days.

The first project was to begin to make a dent in my basement.  Boxes of stuff we never opened since we moved here.  Many folks have those.

I found six of these patio votives which I purchased and have never used!



Elsewhere and not yet found are the iron hooks that go in the ground upon which these should hang.




Above is something to grilled crabs that my husband wanted and which we have never used.  It is going to the thrift shop as is the Sushi maker kit he got as a gift and which we will never use.  I would offer on Facebook, but I think it is peripheral to many of my FB friends needs.



Lots of boxes have been emptied of junk and lots of empty boxes have been collected for recycling to the trash site.




I found files of old brokerage statements...decades old...surely I can burn these??




I have managed to clear some shelves!  I still do not know what to do with the electronic wine chiller which was a gift from son and which we have not yet used.  When I have company and open wine it rarely has time to lose its cool temperature!

Just to let you know I do not have a real wine cellar as some I have seen in friends and relatives homes.



I did buy this item below from the behemoth  Amazon while I was cleaning for storage and it arrived in two days.





This Lionel Richie has to be a daughter's album...maybe not.  Anyway, after I fit all the LPs into the metal file it weighs a TON!!

I do feel that I have accomplished a bit.  But I am also needing some mind cleaning.  When I finished today I returned to my computer and I came across this handwritten note on the table below my computer screen (my best translation):

Camfris Airs
1800's
Holiday decorations
Yellow capsules to rend


Obviously this list I made a while back and have totally forgotten what it was for.  Certainly, I recognize the "holiday decorations" part...maybe to put up...maybe to take down?

Well, now I will get one of those bottles of wine open and put a French bread pizza in the oven for dinner.

10 comments:

  1. While the cat's away....Enjoy your adventure in culling, and especially your vacation from meal preparation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like great progress. In two weeks you can just about change your world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wine chiller in summer might be nifty. Saves room in fridge for fruit and snacks.
    Congratulations on the sorting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such ambition. Carry on. I'll watch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get one week a year with the house to myself. I don't accomplish anything in particular but I do love the solitude.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are beginning a garage cleanout this afternoon. Yes, we have an acre of those things we never use too. Small tables. Three sets of silver, more furniture, and two filing cabinets of stuff. Rugs. I am not mentioning the flat files. LOL I'll take a before and after picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope to get something similar accomplished this winter too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter introduced me to Marie Kondo, a Japanese lady who 'declutters' your home. She is hitting the headlines at the moment with the fact that you should only keep 30 books. Somewhat disparagingly daughter said that if you put all my clothes on the bed it would only take a couple of minutes to sort the lot.... Surely sushi just needs a mat and a little pot?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun! And getting rid of all that stuff must make you feel much lighter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have sifting time needed to get to old boxes. Someday when I'm not out of the house 12 hours to work maybe. You did get alot done.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.