Monday, June 04, 2018

Milestones


This is close to La La Land.

Many years ago when my sister was in her early 40's, she contracted skin cancer and lost the battle against it after only a few months. She lived on the other side of the country and our correspondence was by sporadic phone calls and emails.   The expertise of the staff of a major Los Angeles hospital was not smart enough nor quick enough to save her life.  I flew out to be with her for a few days in the middle of her battle.  When she passed she left behind a 10-year-old boy and a 12-year-old girl soon to turn 13 and their Dad.  These two children grew up into beautiful, stable, and sweet adults through some miracle of good parenting and good genes and damn luck.

This weekend I flew out again to attend the wedding of the young man, my nephew.  We were there for only 2 and half days and it was very emotional...more so than weddings are normally emotional for me.  I left the rain-filled skies here in the Mid-Atlantic for the sun-filled skies of Southern California.  


Southern California where real estate prices START in the very high six figures and never seem to end.  This little gray house in the background was worth a couple of million!

This was a special trip for me since I had not had a chance to see my niece and nephew for many years as their careers took them away from the places where I visited their father.  

The wedding was small, semi-formal, and was a chance for me to see my other brother and sister briefly as well.




It was both a tough and terrific time for me and I am so glad I did not miss it.  

Now I am back home and returning to normal---my version of normal that is.

13 comments:

  1. That must have been a whirlwind of emotions. How sad to lose your sister so young and how lovely to have a happy reunion with family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful that you got to go and have that experience. And the cost of owning any size home these days is beyond belief! We will rent until we die, it seems. But it could be worse: at least we have a home to live in. Love your pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad the family has kept on going strong. You too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are indeed beautiful.

    It does seem harder and harder to get together with extended family. My grandparents' generation all lived in the same county. My parents' spread over three states (PA, NY, VT). My siblings and cousins are spread all over the east. Nieces and nephews are now all over the U.S. It takes a wedding or a funeral to see many of the relatives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m glad you were able to go back for such a happy occasion. I had no idea that skin cancer could progress so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sympathies for the loss of your sister. I like to think the wedding is blessed with her spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sister would have been so proud of those children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Distance and busy lives separate families and it is all the more sweeter when occasions arise to get together. How lovely that it was a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome home. Glad you were able to go. I'm really touched by this.
    This too is touching:
    http://modern-ruins.com/galleries/196465-ny-worlds-fair/

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a bittersweet time this must be for everyone. Welcome home, and best wishes to the happy couple!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope the predominant emotion that you are now left with is one of how great it was to catch up with folk.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As mm says a bittersweet occasion but I think also a very happy one. Glad you are safe home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. we never know how many more days we have. nice that you got to visit the rest of your family.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.