Monday, May 07, 2018

Where Have You Been?

I am impressed (while perhaps not motivated) to find bloggers keeping up their posts in the spring season.  I am compelled and even guilted into being outside most of the time.  There is dirt under my fingernails, those that are still undamaged, and dirt between my toes and some even on my face.  The weeding is endless this time of year.  The dead zones due to winter harshness have been discovered and new perennials have to be placed in those black holes, either from the division of overgrown perennials or shopping for something new.  An entire hedge of pyracantha is looking awful as are we from pruning the deadwood and bloodily fighting the thorns. 


There is also a rather large gray rabbit who is fearless and makes me break into an aerobic run each morning across the lawn.  (I am trying to protect my sunflowers and zinnias!)  He clearly finds my gallumping in slippers mildly amusing.  Where are those two foxes when you need them?

Needless to say, this is NOT the rabbit in my yard.

My Master Gardeners group is in high gear with endless projects, plant sales, and interns to interview.  Gardeners are a distinctly high energy group in the spring.  It is as if they have been revving their engines all winter and spend time arguing about whether a plant is an invasive, a native healthy spreader or a weed before they price it.

April was also the month of birthdays (two grandsons and a daughter) and with gifts to buy there was also a girl's weekend getaway to cram into two days.  I do not use the word "girl's" loosely as both that went with me were in their 40's.  I do not consider myself a girl.  That weekend was mercurial with coolish rains, spring warming sun and fluctuating temps that required on-again off-again jackets.  The only hard plans were staying at a B&B winery/distillery which was a gift to my daughter as she could enjoy the tastings and not worry about driving as I hate the driving part of any adventure.



I learned that I am too old to taste various hard ciders at noon and then hit a free distillery tasting before dinner.  I did sip the lavender gin from my daughter's glass and the cinnamon rum! 


This was followed the next day by a visit to her favorite creamery-dairy farm where we were able to sample the ice cream, pet the cows and photograph a curious alpaca.  


Then in the afternoon was a tour of a historic mansion and talking to several weavers and admiring their work.  The next morning, we took in the antique shops on the antique row for my daughter-in-law where I bought a few gifts and two "whimsical" vases.  


This is the genre of activities that transforms the males in my life into zombies, so we were relieved to just meander and do low-pressure stuff.

Today I have lots of housework which I have ignored forever.  So where have you been while I was away?

18 comments:

  1. We’ve been out and a out after the long winter. The grandkids have taken up some of our time. Gardening isn’t in full swing here yet.

    I would like the ice cream tasting best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have been in my garden, getting it ready for planting. I really like your unusual vases. Welcome back! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I have been outside, pulling weeds, planting annuals and cleaning up my perennials. Celebrating spring at different festivals and spending time with grandchildren alsofill my days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are still in Tucson. Since we do xeriscape down here and in Oregon the sheep manicure the grass, spring isn't a big change for me. We did buy an ocotillo, which right now looks like sticks with thorns but will be the one desert plant we didn't have here naturally. Hopefully it will survive as desert plants can be persnickety as to where they grow. We head north the end of this month for the needed farm jobs like getting in hay etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely rabbit, I do hope he's a pet with all that personality.
    Lavender gin! Sounds like a great addition to suummer drink list. Thank you
    I'm in the middle of purging a paper obsession, cleaning out way too much for the shredder. In the old days, I printed out near every email, etc., with my first computer, and a lot of photos. Printers weren't designed to chug ink in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your hands on gardening and your "frenemy" rabbit. Lavender gin sounds tasty wonder if a person could bake with it. I've been taking whoever will come when the sun breaks out and visiting the parks around our area. The Whitman Mission Grounds are a favorite with kids when I have them, space to run and benches for me to sit and read. The turtle in the ponds there are moving around and doing turtle-ly things. I cleaned out my mini-garden on my little patio and wonder if this is the year for an herb garden in pots. I am still in the thinking and wondering stage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearly love those pictures. Where? Here, getting better from all my agony's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. North of D.C. about 70 miles.

      Delete
  8. Well three days of beautiful weather, lots of lounging around, weed grubbing, buying shrubs to hide the hen's run. Like the 'wild' rabbit, two cruising hens and a wilful dog compete for star attention here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have just begun here. I removed two most likely dead daisy plants today. I have a touch spot next to the driveway where not much other than daylillies seems ti do well. Even they could do better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have been working, it seems to be most of what i do. Hope you are enjoying your time outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the picture in my head of your chasing your gray rabbit in your slippers! Reminds me of Peter being chased by Mr. McGregor!
    And is that a picture of the room you had at the winery? It's really quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have also been in the garden, as you have seen from my latest post. Your girls get away sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been in Europe. I can see why you'd be too busy to blog. Spring is such a busy time. If I were on the mainland still, I'd be busy too. I don't have a big garden here so I don't have much to do. Besides, my mother takes care of the plants. It sure looks like you've have a lot of fun activities.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spring is garden time although my efforts so far have been only the wander around garden stores/nurseries. I am wary of planting anything too early in Vermont.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've come back for a second read captivated by your out door energies. Did I ever tell you that I used to garden enthusiastically. I had a nice beach house with a central courtyard....lilie pool and all. Now I barely remember to water my own plants much less my neighbors long abandoned plants. Her's actually look better than mine, and I am pleased that when she comes back she will find them alive. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did not want to guilt you. Gardening IS a hobby.

      Delete
  16. Having a busy week here, many b-days for me too. I am picturing a gazellewoman in fluffy slippers hopping about after a large bunny.... lol

    Glad you are entertained, n my garden has moer than enough to do now too! Doesn't look pretty like yours tho...

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.