Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Abstraction and Distraction

The Laughing Tree

I have been watching the National Geographic series Genius. Last year it was about Einstein. This year it is about Picasso. The style of storytelling these days, whether in books or video, is to jump back and forth along the timeline. You reveal a little something in the present and then you go back in time and explain how it came about. While it does add tension and even works for the writer sometimes, I am not as in love with it to the extent that the popular culture seems to be.

I am also not a fan of contemporary and/or abstract art. Moving into the impressionist period was as far as my interest would take me. But I have always loved the work of Picasso and admired his creative and evolutionary talent for his time:  misogynist pig that he was in his personal life. In his blue period, he conveyed such a depth of misery with each painting. In his cubist period, his works invited a more intense study as they slowly revealed an edginess and a novelty and an energy in the inanimate.

His life was very complex, so I am not sure that Nat-Geo has been as accurate as it could be. It glosses over so much and leaves one wondering why and what impact something had.

The casting of Antonio Banderas as Picasso is effective. He has those dark Spanish button eyes that Picasso had.  If you study his interviews you will see that he has much the same passion and devotion and openness in his real life that Picasso had.  Banderas is an underrated actor. The Thirteenth Warrior is one of my favorite movies that he did even though it received mediocre reviews. It is moody, heavy, and slow, with a little too much blood and guts, but full of atmosphere and a wonderful musical score. He is very compelling as the warrior.  


OK, just a review of what has taken up my time, because of the days of rain, I spent too much time in front of the television, on the other hand, my house is pretty clean.


12 comments:

  1. Grey and ugly days here.,,,until today. Amazingly, we have sunshine and blue skies. I've been watching the last of this and of that. No good stuff on National G. I love Banderas. What a brilliant man. If one has a chance to watch him or clean house, I would go with Banderas every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Banderas is underated. I have yet to see the Picasso film. I look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review of the movie. I'll make an effort to see it, now. And that tree you start out with just makes me smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's something to be said for cleaning things while the TV is playing. You learn while you work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy Banderas as well. I haven’t seen that series however.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear friend who gardens. Check this lady's post out:

    https://www.avoidingregret.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The latest post on Lotusland was a garden I toured a few years ago with the second wife of my brother-in-law who volunteers there.

      Delete
  7. Since I am not familiar with the media you reviewed, I will just linger on that wonderful tree!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very ignorant about art. You'd think in my three score and ten, I would have learned a little.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like some of Picasso pieces - even the simple "Grey Lady." I did a college design project with.

    I called the tree "Chuckles" before I read the caption. Yep, I miss MapleBeard who was chopped down....

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I heard of the series, I'd planned to watch, but didn't. There are so many things to occupy my time and I find it difficult to chose; therefore, I often tend to be guided spontaneously.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your tree and I shall keep my eyes open for the Picasso movie.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.