Monday, May 08, 2017

More About Being "In or On" Time


I may have mentioned that on my good days I read a few pages of Marcus Aurelius book titled "Meditations" before I take a nap - not to disparage this classic but saying it puts me to sleep.   It is a challenging read since the language has the cadence and vocabulary of a Roman Emperor in the mid- 100's A.D.   That was certainly a time that was filled with intrigue and powerful people.  Time that moved very differently than time today.  

I went to Wikipedia and this is what they wrote about his book:  "Aurelius' Meditations, written in Greek while on campaign between 170 and 180, is still revered as a literary monument to a philosophy of service and duty, describing how to find and preserve equanimity, a state of psychological stability and composure, in the midst of conflict by following nature as a source of guidance and inspiration."

Certainly fits these times, does it not?  So what did this philosopher/ruler have to say about time?  "Every instant of time is a pinprick of eternity"

I think that I like that it reminds me how I have so little significance on this planet that my worries would not even fill the tummy of a mosquito.    Some cultures move in monochromatic time and others in polychromatic time. Is that why we do not always get along with each other?  You arrive too early for dinner and I arrive too late and no one arrives on time!  We cannot agree on the correct time.

Have I moved us closer to an understanding?  Now does that make you feel better?


22 comments:

  1. I'll read this again when I have time.........
    Hope you're well.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be looking up monochromatic and polychromatic time. No nothing of either but find myself hoping for polychromatic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found this http://www.harley.com/writing/time-sense.html and think as I have aged I've gone from mono- to chrono. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anything which makes worries feel insignificant is OK by me. I am not a great sleeper so I may need a copy too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I guess I need to go read Celia's link to find out what the heck you're talking about! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea his Meditations were written in Greek. I'd have assumed they were written in Latin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, I am not reading them in Greek or Latin. ;-)

      Delete
  7. good god I love that description.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He was brilliant. If they have his books at Gutenberg Project, i may download it and read some, i haven't studied any of his writing beyond a few quotes since college.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to know, DJan, that i'm not the only one not following this. And right now I don't want to take the time to become informed. Too many other demands on my time.
    A nap? Don't have time for that either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leaves me more confused than ever (-:

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your posts can be better than the brain exercise AARP offers.
    Thank you
    I'm also reminded how much I like reading "Plutarch's Lives."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man. I am reading something pretty stupid right now. I think I should up my game.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "I think that I like that it reminds me how I have so little significance on this planet that my worries would not even fill the tummy of a mosquito. " What a brilliant sentence - thanks Tabor. I shall quote you on my blog sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very timely post.

    We tend to be early or at least on time. Sometimes when we feel like we are running behind, we still get there on time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. however you describe it, there's not enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never read him. I agree with the worrying doing nothing for us when it's something we can't immediately impact or change.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You might like: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/12/19/the-secret-life-of-time:

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not particularly a Marcus Aurelius fan. But I will certainly agree that reading a book, any book, is a great way to help you fall asleep ... either for an afternoon nap, or in the evening for a good night's sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some people move in circular time while other's live in linear time. LOL
    Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do often notice that my perceived wasting of my time by other folks is something that flares up my anger more than anything else. Especially my free time! Someone at the house stole my scheduled laundry time last night, now I have to waste time tonight when I wanted to rest early before earlier work time on Friday. Such a luxury you have time to read, n think about these things!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Uh oh... now I'm confused. I don't think I'm smart enough.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.