Sunday, January 15, 2017

UGH!! It died.


My tower PC gave me the blue screen of death today. I had recently backed up most of my stuff and since my tower PC is a HP after several reboots it gave me the opportunity to do a full back up on my removable drive. I am doing that now  and it is taking hours and hours.  


I had paid over $100 last year to repair this computer when Windows 10 forced an installation  and crashed the machine.  I am more than depressed as a replacement for this will cost much more than $100.

Perhaps the chaotic news that I read on the machine broke  its heart?


My hardworking friends who have given their lives to handling jobs in research and security are depressed as they are criticized in the public without proof or a chance to defend their side of the issues.  We are returning to a society where intellectualism and education are liabilities.  Fear and opinion carry more weight than fact.  Maybe my PC is just tremendously depressed  as it relies on data to work.

I am pro entertainment industry, pro science research, pro academia, pro public schools, pro public libraries and pro journalistic voice.  I am smart enough to follow  the trail of a news story to see if it holds water and do not  need to  reduce the press corps to the 6 who agree with the leader as Putin has done.  I am pro transparency except when our country's security is involved as I do trust those who have been trained to analyze our threats from other countries.  Are some people in these fields power hungry, liars, stupid?  Of course, just  like  some real estate moguls.  But I continue to think  this is the minority and most public servants enter the field to serve the public because they are not going to get rich  doing these jobs.  No wonder my computer is confused and committed suicide! 


I just re-booted and the PC is gone, gone, gone.

Sorry, but this is a BAD day for me.   I hope to be more moderate in my next post if my bank statement is flush enough for a new computer and I  feel that I have  the energy to do this.  (Thank goodness that  this old laptop  is still working.)

12 comments:

  1. Good luck with finding something more reliable that suits your needs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grrr! Sounds like a massive hassle, especially when combined of all the divisive ugliness out there. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very sorry. Can you hear me yelling. Sorry. Costco has some excellent computers, but they are beyond a hundred dollars. I shant tell you that G loves his new computer. I sympathise with you. Mine told me this morning that Word 10 was vanishing in two days because there was new hardward. Since I don't speak Indian, I left G to salvage what he could. You have my deepest sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I've been wondering about you. Hope you find an alternative soon! Tough when alone too.
    My daughter's did the same thing last year. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terry got this at a used computer place: An HP Pavilion, reconditioned, for $139.00. The store was jammed with computers in various states of repair. If there are places like that in your area, you might give this a try. The computer is very fast and I've had no trouble with it. The owner was very nice and helpful, too.
    I'm emerging from my post-election funk and feeling a little better every day. We can win this. Just have to stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So so sorry. It must be so devastating. I remember that happening to me few years ago. I was not aware of so many things that I am suppose to do, in case your computer crashes. I lost so much. I just hope that you have stuff saved if you write on a regular basis and nothing of value was there. Hang in there. Best of Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Plundering your bank account is the only way out, this somehow resonated with me "We are returning to a society where intellectualism and education are liabilities. Fear and opinion carry more weight than fact." It really is scary....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:44 AM

    Oh my! The blue screen of death...I've gotten it twice. My son guided me through fixing it the first time...can't remember how but I was able to get it done. (I get a new computer every 3 years just to keep up with technology, so eventually that was replaced and just last fall a 2nd computer got it.) The 2nd time I just got a new computer and another son of mine took it and was able to get my stuff off of it and give it to me on a scan disk, and then he was able to get the computer started as new. (Both these sons are software engineers). These are things that make me want to throw the computer out of the window though!

    I just began reading your blog, but I too spent time, lately, thinking of how I would live if my husband went first. (Since he just retired and we moved...so I did rule out living in the country away from other homes for this reason) For some reason maybe we think of these things in life. After a few months of this, I have reverted back to not thinking! Maybe thinking isn't always good too do too much.... But it is good to be realistic. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never feel right when I can't function at my computer like a Star Trek traveler at the Enterprise bridge. I haven't felt right since the election. It makes me feel kind of dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gee, I had two old computers crash & think you must be right they may be doing so in reaction to just what you say.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Computer woes are distressing. Sometimes, you just have to suck it up and purchase a new one.

    BTW 25 entries from you appeared in my feed last night. I think I'll skip through to the most recent one now. I was wondering what happened to you.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.