Friday, May 20, 2016

Amateurs at Play

Citizen science has become one way to collect scientific data because it costs very little.  Every single thing in this world is about money.  EVERYTHING.  I will write a post on that perhaps soon.



Anyway, I was a citizen scientist yesterday.  What I gave was my time and energy and bravery against the ticks.  What I got was being outdoors on a perfect day, being able to take photographs, seeing a really beautiful nature trail and being with good company, human and animal.
 





 


It is spring and time to monitor those wood duck boxes that we fixed and/or installed last fall.  Data showed that of the 19 boxes, some were empty, some had hatched eggs, some had fatalities, some were never used and some had newly laid eggs.  Some of the boxes were in the early stages of their use with only 4 eggs laid and buried deep down in the wood chips with no down yet pulled from momma duck.  Others had as many as 15 viable eggs waiting to hatch and sitting deep in down.  One box was a tragedy, we think momma met with a danger and died as three little hatch-lings had pushed from their eggs and died in the box and the other eleven eggs never hatched.




The good news is that over 50 eggs were still waiting in the various boxes and about 30 had hatched and were on their way!


And we were very lucky to see Momma wood duck and 11 little ones out for one of their first swims.



21 comments:

  1. Wonderful. I'm looking at the photos on a small screen now but will view them later on my big computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a wonderful way to spend a day for the good of scientific study.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen one in the wild, and yet they are my favorite duck. Beautiful and cool how the hatch-lings first enter the water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful thing to do! I'm glad so many of them have made it. Love the pretty wee one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great project.. The ducklng is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, citizen scientist! It must be satisfying to know the results of your good work for nature. I really like the photo following the two fish; I find it quite Monet like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Science is much more fun in the doing than in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Citizen science isn't a bad thing. Sad about the one tragedy, though. Dang. But good for you! I hope you didn't pick up any ticks. I recently did, and am awaiting the possible Lymes disease outcome. There is a rash but not exactly a Lymes disease rash...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what fun! but poor little baby ducklings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to be outside and seeing nature close up. We have a lot of ticks here. I've taken to tucking my pants legs into my boots to keep the sneaky critters at bay. And then check closely after leaving. It's worth it though. Our local Audubon put up Bluebird boxes a couple of years ago as the critters began to reappear here. This year some of boxes have inhabitants.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is that himself? Yes, the news sounds really good...all but for the one sad box. Thank you so much for doing all this. Nature appreciates you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am hoping to see a Mama chicken with 12 guinea fowl keets in about 20 days. Guinea hens do not make good mothers so I have placed the eggs under a broody chicken in hopes of finally adding to my guinea fowl flock. The very best tick reducers you can have on your property and they also make excellent watch birds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely nature photos! Sad about the loss of that one box babes & unhitched eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Correction.....one box of babes and unhatched eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Without volunteers, many organizations couldn't carry on their work. Good for you! I like the photos and hope you didn't bring any ticks home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was looking for a tabor sighting. Feeding ducks has been one of my favorite pastimes (that I rarely get to do) since I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so upbeat. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Regimented. :) Not by choice at all. My blood sugar had inched up, and I watch our diets and exercise only because I'm forced to. LOL I'm the laziest person you know. I'm motivated by death or classes. LOL This time, I am hoping I can nip the diabetes in the bud with a radical life change before I get the disease.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow! These are gorgeous photos! We don't have ducks in our area, just wild chickens.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.