Saturday, March 05, 2016

Baby Steps


A few posts back I posted an old list I had found on my computer under the title "resolutions."   The file date was created in August, so certainly not something I had created after one champagne-filled New Year's Eve.  That list is re-printed below.     Kerry suggested that I make the list into a poem to fulfill one of the items ON the list.   How dare she?  Well the list is below and perhaps you will recognize the age old form of poetry beneath that...no, not a full sonnet and with a cheat.  Baby steps...baby steps.

RESOLUTIONS
  • Dance in the rain
  •  Write one complete short story
  • Write a poem adhering to some strict form--not free form
  •  Enter a serious photography contest
  •  Read about France for our upcoming trip
  •  Call about the Adult Education Program    


Resolve this day my youth is spent red hot

Remains the tale of where and how to write.

Did she believe a dance in rain would blot.

In peaceful stillness the scene of plight?

A romp with no picture and no reward.

Rethink that trip to France which holds mind's thought

And turn instead to train the aged diehard

then,

Check off each goal before thy turn is aught


If you think this is painful to read, imagine my  torment in writing it.

19 comments:

  1. It is not painful at all Tabor! I think it is a wonderful idea to motivate your creativity and plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Torment(yours)... Ahhh... But you "did" write it, and I think it's pretty cool. It put a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really quite interesting. I don't think I've ever used the word "ought."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! Another goal checked off. Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking about what a bucket list would look like for me. I'd try to keep it to things I might actually do. I've been fortunate that many things I wanted, I have had-- not that a repeat is a bad idea. One thing I won't likely have on it for now is writing poetry. I enjoy it very much from others as it's like painting with words. I just haven't had the knack for it although I did better with it in my middle years... fortunately didn't send it anywhere to have someone else tell me not so much. It takes guts to reveal poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually laughed at the poem, but heck, you did write that list down, which is way more than I can say for myself! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No torment. It's all things you can and probably will do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We all 'ought' to do whatever we want to do, eh?
    My days looking for a bucket list is dimming....I've seen most of what I expect to see, and most has been very rewarding for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, but you got my toes tapping in the rain, (and it is raining), got 2, 3, and four done, and does entering several real art contests count? I read about France and went there. Lastly, I called the adult ed program, but all the photo classes I want are at night. Darn.

    Nice struggle tho.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had meant to add, you inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Writing poetry has never been my strong suit but have enjoyed reading poems as I did yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, boy. I liked the simile of Amazon sneaking in to your bedroom in the dead of the night, taking a book, and leaving a check. LOL What a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:55 AM

    Ah me... I am totally incompetent today. I've written a comment here TWICE, and lost both. Thanks for the tip about Amazon and George Orwell's "1984". I had not heard/seen that before. Regards, T

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good reads: Have you read Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Diarys and Letters? Her first two books, "North to the Orient and Listen the Wind" are stilted but moving recordings about the dawn of air transport.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done! What a fun way to look at a resolution list and the age old ending is perfect for all of all times. I think you should keep "talking" like that. Line 2 is mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wrote a few love sonnets back in the day. Drivel, but my heart was in it at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sometimes it's tough to end a poem in the proper form n rhyme scheme. Even happens on the little ones for me. Anythin three verses long is torture to finish while making sense. Good one - thanks

    I'm "in the process" on way too much these days! Good Luck

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.