Sunday, September 06, 2015

No Rhyme or Reason




I have had trouble finding something that I wanted to blog about.  Most of what I could share was gray and foggy.  For some time I have been at the place Wordsworth was when he wrote this...


The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers:
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
The Sea that bares her bosom to the moon;
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers;
For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
It moves us not.--Great God! I'd rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathed horn.

I live with someone who starts the day with at least an hour of news.  As the news goes on I can actually feel my energy draining from my body as the bobble heads try to solve the country's and the world's problems.


So when I find the world too much and too close and too smothering there are a few options.  I could have crawled into my bedroom into a fetal position until the mood passed.  I could have finished that half bottle of Malbec in the cooler that the company left behind and wait for the weather to mellow.  I could have posted another political rant on FB (I save rants for "friends" instead of blog readers).  Instead I gave in to the American and now global consumer disease and went shopping.  I had to trade out an old table for one that fit in my small eating area, which also meant I had to get new (unstained and unfaded) tablecloths.  There was nothing I liked in several stores, nothing in colors or patterns that met my taste.  Facing exhaustion, I bought the three that were the only ones that fit, and lo and behold, after cutting some fresh flowers, everything slowly came into focus and rhyme once again!

Now where is that Malbec?

20 comments:

  1. yes, my husband turns on the news shows as soon as he gets up. I just go in the other room where my computer is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We listen to the news in the morning, at noon, and in the evening. So much is repeated over and over. Always seems to be overnight shootings, fires, the awful plight of refugees, and political drivel... yet we listen. You know, I'm not one for cruises, but when we went on our Alaskan cruise, we had no TV (no news), no cell phone use (we turned it off while on the open sea), no computers with us, and... we slept SO WELL.
    I think staying informed is important, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watch very little news these days. I do though read the papers and that's bad enough. I also got the urge to change things around with the area where I write. We found a small table and little cart that will work as a second desk and also a place to spread out my research materials when writing. I have needed that badly. It also makes this corner look better and that's important as I write in a corner of the living room.

    Very pretty tablecloth and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to be a news junky. These days, I force myself to watch if I know I will be in a social situation and might have to sound informed and intelligent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or I just drink some Malbec and think I am informed and intelligent sounding, I understand the end of summer funk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's so much news confronting us these days that it's hard to step back or get away from it. It really can affect your mood.

    Those flowers perfectly match the table cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:17 AM

    "Be anxious for nothing." A friend gave me a card with that on the front and it gets me through so many of these times! But shopping is good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just took my camera out for a few early shots. It's better than the news. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought that I was in the minority in not wanting to listen to Breaking News daily. My husband would listen to it 24/7 if he did not have to sleep. We are constantly bombarded with all the tragedies from every corner of the world and that is not good for our mental and physical health. Even the weather has been sensationalized and the word rain has been replaced by storm and when it snows, all programming is stopped on TV so we can watch the same car trying to get up a hill over and over and over. I get my news from the Internet and the newspapers where I can pick and choose the stories that I want to learn about. Ignorance might not be bliss, but being overstimulated by horrible news can be a killer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Years ago there was a comedian who said that when the newspaper arrived he would put it into a drawer and not look at it for a week. At which point he would say Well, I'm certainly glad that that isn't happening any more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cerulean Bill has the right of it. George does news in the evening. He watches one local and two national news programs every evening. One local would be enough for me. I was thinking of picking up a drafting table for me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. PS: That's an ineffably cheerful table. It will waft away grey with little effort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS: That's an ineffably cheerful table. It will waft away grey with little effort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Studies prove that starting the day with sad things or bad news leaves you feeling more negative through the whole day, while starting with positives does the opposite. Turn the news off until you've seen or heard or read something to laugh about!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice fall colors. I avoid the news and just read about what's going on so I don't have to listen! Luckily, my husand does the same.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is nothing wrong with a little retail therapy now and then. Your table is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funny how theraputic shopping quests are, once we decide what we need! I remember that Po! My cure to boredom is get the watermellon n read a thriller!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It’s all a matter of perspective. Or is it?
    Anyway, that’s what I keep telling myself.
    Table and table cloth are very pretty, as are the flowers. Flowers are always a good idea.

    So is Malbec.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shopping is good for the economy, and if it helps you cope, so much the better.
    I hate shopping, and I am morbidly curious about the news.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shopping can be fun sometimes. The flowers on that tablecloth are absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.