Friday, May 15, 2015

Some Days


Some days Many days I wish we had a dog.  There have been at least six dogs in my lifetime  Pepper, Donie, Christmas Dog, Makai, Kane, Buster--a wide variety of names.  All of them were unique in personality and spirit, purebreds or not.  I have cried at every loss as dogs do become members of the family.


On the day that we visited a farm, I see this big, hairy, galumphy, dedicated, muddy pawed animal in the photo above and cannot resist calling him over for a good ear scratch.  This is a working dog, but even he is not above a visit from an admirer. 

I forget all the hair, dust, slobber and sand that they bring into the house.  I forget the body scratching in the middle of the night that jangles the tags that wake me up.  I forget almost tripping over them on my way to the bathroom in the dark.  I forget the water spills from the water dish next to the kitchen counter that appear in a line across the floor and the bits of stray kibble under the cabinets.  I forget the endless hours of puppy raising that one must go through at the very beginning...almost.

We travel way too much to have a dog (no neighbors we know well enough to help) (currently in France now).  

There is a new wrench in the canine discussion...ticks.  Our ticks in these woods carry all three of the major diseases.  Both of my neighbors have gotten the two least known illnesses and many years ago I had a meet-up with Lyme, the third and most well known.   There is now a new tick borne illness in some Southern states that is more lethal than all three above and that has killed some people!  

I do wonder if we will ever get a dog....so sad.  For now it is going to be relegated to these farm visits, I guess.

17 comments:

  1. My son and his girlfriend have a dog, a wheaten terrior, whom they refer to as my grandpuppy. I'm finding it's a great way to enjoy a dog. They do the work, and I just have to play with the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just over at a friend's house the other night and I could stop patting her dog. You see, we are petless, too, for the first time in years and like you, will be traveling quite a bit in the future.
    Our old cat Satchel (really a dog in a cat suit) died last year and we miss him still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This could have come straight from my head. I feel exactly the same way about dogs.

    Love them...but

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also don't have a dog for the same reason. Although we are not overseas travelers, even within the country, it takes planning and you can't just let a dog run free anywhere. So for now, it's cats, which can be left more easily. I still admire dogs everywhere I go and think how cool they are with their enjoyment of life. Cats are a bit different in that area. I will though always have a pet. It's what makes our home seem alive now that there are no in-house offspring of the human variety. Well, actually we got our first cat before we had our first baby ;) and then had to worry how they'd get along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No dog here, not because we don't like dogs, but simply because i know i won't put the time and effort into training that they requre, and that wouldn't be fair to the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, miss and long for a dog - until I come to my senses. I do have granddogs, though - and I can send them home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've been without a furry companion for a few years and I do get an itch for the unconditional love pets give, but like you we travel a lot and it wouldn't be fair to a pet. But once we stop traveling I intend to make a quick trip to the Humane Society to bring someone home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel the same about getting another cat. But then there are the hair balls, the scratching so, the vet bills, and the litter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to have another cat. The fact that we travel, and that I hate the giant vet bills keeps us pet free.
    I gather you had a good flight. :) Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. when building this country cottage I stopped at the dog shelter. now I know better -
    Callie, 1 year old, just a dog,
    they are getting ready to put her to sleep. I agree to bring her home with me
    but first they have to cut a chain wrapped around her neck
    with a saw.
    5 1/2 years later
    cannot imagine life without
    little Callie..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy visiting friends with dogs and that takes care of any desire I may get to actually have one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally agree with every word. The minute I decide I'm not traveling any more, I'll bring home another dog. Meanwhile I content myself with visits from the farm dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm safe. My cat would not like a dog in her house.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I understand this. We had one of those little cockapoos, and I loved her dearly, even though she was a trial and never properly trained. I don't think I'll ever own another dog. Our cat's enough, especially since we travel so much.
    Hmm. Europe is seeming far away to me(it is, actually). But our next big trip will be a cruise around Australia and New Zealand!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband loves dogs, but we've never had our own. Now we're traveling too much also. Art says we need to wait until we're not traveling anymore. I wonder when that will be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dogs are the best. But there are many things to consider before getting one, for sure. I wish more people thought carefully, as you clearly have, before getting an animal. I think we'd have far less animals at shelters if people were honest with themselves BEFORE they took on an animal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have two schools of dog-thought here. There's a leash law in town, which I agree with, being the walker I am. Hubs, on the other hand, thinks a dog should roam free, pick up ticks, and roll in all manner of dead things in our woods. Ick. We've had five dogs together and are dogless now. It feels un-American to like it as much as I do! The granddog gives Hubs his puppy-fix, I think. And I secretly love her - and the fact that she doesn't live here!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.