Thursday, April 16, 2015

Sigh


My life is better and more normal these days. The meeting in the previous post was a terrific experience.  Yes, I did get a great night's sleep for a change as I was exhausted upon my return.  I met some new and interesting people and found I have much in common with them. The only downer is that few people ate my soybean salad.   I always try to bring something vegan and healthy, but the chile, pulled pork, baked beans, cakes and pies all seemed to be the favorites, as usual.  Next year I am bringing fudge---or some really decadent pie.  Screw it!

I spent today looking for my file container of seeds.  I keep in storage folders and plastic vials with seeds collected from last year and new packets from the seed exchange a while back.  I opened the portable carrier that was labeled "Seeds and Plants" and not a single seed was inside!  All my notes and plant information and plant stakes were there...but not a single packet or container of seeds?  I know that I cleaned out the old seeds last year, but am totally lost about where I put the new stuff that I got from the seed exchange.  I am also missing a batch of plastic vials that may or may not have seeds?

I looked into another file carrier that had a lot of travel brochures, maps, notes, etc.  AND another carrier that has some older files.  As an elder it is easy for me to get distracted, so, I spent the better part of the day sorting through this old stuff.  I actually had old pay statements and evaluation reviews from my last job!  What a fun time I had shredding those files for the compost pile in the garden!  I threw away a number of items that were dated regarding national and state parks and hotels we had visited, saved some of the old stuff from trips (Jamaica, Ireland) as memories, and made newly labeled file folders for it all.  What a good girl am I. 

Still I cannot find my seeds!

I was going out tonight for dinner and then maybe buy some seeds, but I gave in and have made mole' chicken, friend rice and leftover green beans and we will stay at home. We have never seen House of Cards (the American version) and maybe we will watch two episodes of that.   Hubby is now water spraying the oyster flats of their winter growth and he will be both dirty and exhausted upon his return.  (Maybe he will remember to bring up some oysters for tomorrow's dinner!)  Thus dinner should be waiting for him...not a shower and trip to our local restaurant.

Oh, our osprey (Fred and Ethel) are having a rather risque old time and I will try to remember to post something about that on the next blog.  They returned close to St. Patrick's Day as they always do.  The photo below is not good as it was taken through a window on a rainy day...but you can see how drenched the poor thing was.




12 comments:

  1. Poor osprey...he looks positively haggard. Good luck with your seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love watching ospreys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, i would have loved your salad! In fact, it's probably the only thing i would have eaten at that gathering, oddball that i am.

    That poor wet bird!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We recently began watching House of Cards. And I hope you find your seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A husband who totes home oysters? You are a lucky woman indeed.

    (And what a perfect thing to do with old papers from work - compost!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A husband who totes home oysters? You are a lucky woman indeed.

    (And what a perfect thing to do with old papers from work - compost!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like some of those oysters, please. Good luck finding those seeds. I'd never thought to use paper in my compost bin. Hmmmm.

    Hope you sleep well tonight. And tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently read that being neat and being organized are not the same thing. I put things away and then cannot find them. I know some whose homes/office desks look like an explosion took place, yet they know where everything is. Now I have started with labels and that helps. The seeds will turn up...sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, potlucks are probably not the best time to try to tempt people with 'good' food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a small shelf that collected and received seeds get tossed on. last fall, I cleaned it off and just scattered seeds here and there. I have a wildflower patch at the house and am trying to get one started at the shop without having to dig up grass and clover. nothing came up there this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Osprey are so interesting. There were a pair near the bunkhouse that hunted the alfalfa. I could watch them for hours...
    Your seeds will show up after you have bought new ones! lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really can't stand it when I lose something. It makes me a little crazy. I feel like I can't stop looking until I find it. Maddening! I hope you find your seeds!
    Look at that poor bird! Drenched is right!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.