Thursday, January 29, 2015

What the Camera Captures

Many of us watch the historical/hysterical soap opera Downton Abbey on television.  I enjoy it because of the tremendous attention to culture and historic detail that is interwoven into the everyday lives of the upstairs and downstairs crowd.  There has been discussion about the somewhat romanticized version of this oligarchy.  The rich were kind and reasonable with the lower classes as long as the lower classes knew and maintained their place.  The new 2015 (14 in Britain) season is slowly introducing the disintegration of that relationship as a more democratic culture begins to  seep into England led by the changes from World War I.

Intelligent viewers know that this television version of the culture is somewhat glossed over because the Crawleys (Lords and Ladies of the Manor) are pretty benign in their treatment of the servants.  They do not see them as equals in any way, but do not put barriers in front of them if they wish to pursue other careers or get married.  Certainly a very liberal view at that time.  I have read recently about how many of the upper class land owners treated the Irish tenant farmers with such cruelty when the potato famine spread across Ireland.  Most of the aristocracy left the farmers to their own devices and fled back to England to live in well-fed luxury while many of the Irish that were left behind died of starvation. There were bodies of men and women lying along roads as if there had been war.  These were truly tested people.  Some of the more determined headed for America to start a new life with nothing but the shirts on their backs. Upon arriving in  America they banded together to strive and survive.  (Yes, in some cases their was a nice little crime unit formed...the Irish Mafia.)

When I visit Ireland last year, I (most serendipitously) came across the National Library Photographic Archive, located in Meeting House Square in Temple Bar in Dublin.  It was near the open market where we went to grab a walking breakfast.  It is a small space in a very contemporary structure and the exhibit that I saw was a series of black and white portraits of the people in the Limerick Milk Market by photographer Gerry Andrews taken in the 1970s.  These were the grandchildren of the people who lived through the potato famine and their character shows in each precious and honest portrait.  I was crying as I walked through this exhibit, a truly magnificent archive from a truly talented photographer.

If you wish to see this terrific slice of history you can go to this link, but be prepared for some serious soul-searching.  This post is for Mage who is now working on a B and W challenge of her own.

15 comments:

  1. Great story, Tabor. We are considering a trip to Ireland and England, but haven't laid out the plans as yet. I'll have to put this on my list of things to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I didn't know anything about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are beautiful photographs. thanks for the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures were also reminiscent of the Dust Bowl migration to California. Humans have endured such hardships over the course of history and yet, for some, the human spirit shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading about the potato famine makes me angry and sick. Yet it has to be faced, we cannot erase and we dare not forget.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photos remind me of the ones taken here in the 30s of the Dust Bowl. My father-in-law's family, from Iowa, became migrant pickers during that time. So many of those photos showed the same hopelessness that many felt to have their life kicked out from under them by weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing photos, especially the faces of the elders and the children. We've been so lucky. We've Irish on both sides of the family tree, some came early in the 1600's and some in the 1840's during the famine. The similarity to the dust bowl is right on, faces of dignity, and desperation and poverty. Still going on in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's my first time here in your blog. I was browsing then I found your link and then I'm thankful that I did. Thanks for the story. The photos are heart-wrenching, seeing people go through famine. The pictures of the young boys with dogs captured my attention the most because I have a little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that Downton Abbey is great on details but short on societal realities.

    ReplyDelete
  10. amazing photos, especially the old people. so well done in black & white. thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As I read what was shared some memories surfaced. Memories of visiting my grandmother as a young child. I was brought to her home from the big city and in her hometown a horse drawn vegetable cart would come by several times a week. Filled with local produce and chickens in their cage. Can remember her later in the day chopping the head off of the chicken, plunging it in boiling water and plucking the feathers. Enough shared

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fact, fiction, straight exaggeration, Downton Abbey is a tremendous show filled with viewing pleasure. Anyone interested in watching on their computer can go to SIMPLY JUNE blog site and see all five seasons.

    Was staggered by the black and white photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderfully powerful work. Thanks so much for sharing these works. Yes, very emotional stuff. Thank you so much, and now I know my newly rebuilt computer will come visit you. I'm off to recreate myself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this fascinating link.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What wonderful and terrible photos over there.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.