Sunday, December 07, 2014

Be Kind

I try not to watch much news as the holiday season means even more "crazies," normal people for whom the season is an overwhelming sensory overload to be abated only by some violent or criminal act, feed the headline beast each day.  Ignorance would be bliss sometimes.  Do you remember the time before the Internet allowed you access to any and all the sewage of mankind?  Do you remember the time when you could be shocked by a headline? 

Google "protests 2014" and Wikipedia actually lists them all by year back to 1990.  An interesting demographic picture of our unhappy world.  Do not get me wrong, I believe in peaceful protests to wake up a sleeping population.  I guess it just reminds me that, like war, protesting will exist until all protestors are dead because there will always be something to protest.

Google "2014 wars in the world" and once again Wikpedia comes to the rescue with an article and even a colored map breaking the colors into groups:  Major wars, 10,000+ deaths per year; Wars and conflicts, 1,000–9,999 deaths per year; and finally, Minor skirmishes and conflicts, fewer than 1000 deaths per year.

I tried to Google "miracles 2014" and did not get nearly such interesting links.   Most of the miracles are listed in nature and I do know what a miracle nature can be.

But to leave this post on a more optimistic note and to continue an ongoing movement which occurs always but mostly during this time of year I will send you to this link "Random Acts of Kindness."  There is even a Random Acts of Kindness Week coming up and in the fall the Random Acts of Kindness Day.   Good resources to keep you from going crazy during this busy season and to keep you from making others crazy.  To get started go here for ideas.

10 comments:

  1. Even a smile in a grocery store can be a kindness, a few words to a harried checker as an encouragement-- and especially when someone helps in anyway-- a thank you with a big smile. The other opportunities to improve someone's day pop up all the time if we are watching for them. And definitely it's worth watching for them.

    I feel like you about the news right now. I do read what is going on but watch almost no news programs. Several times a week I have been enjoying a Hallmark channel's Christmas movie. Light, require no thinking, and sweet-- right up my alley right now. I don't think I'd do this any other season and frankly never had done it before but this year, it has hit the spot and been interesting to see what they had. It guarantees a happy ending, demands nothing. Sweet fits it as well as any word. few I find fault with the plot devices but minor complaints and a lot better for me emotionally than some of the other movies I read about that would be regarded as more sophisticated ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The news always leaves me so conflicted. I feel badly about not knowing what is going on in the world but then I get depressed when I do know. I ping pong between ignoring the news and compulsively watching. But I am going to be kind to myself about that.
    Kindness is a great gift--in this giving season and all year long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't watch the news. It's mostly fluff anyway. they don't actually report on things people should be told about. but yah, the internet. every horrible thing that happens. kindness and compassion seem to be lacking in many people these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read *here for ideas*... thanks for sharing! I definitely believe in *paying it forward* in whatever way works for you. There's an old poem called "How to be Happy" by Author Unknown and it's first few lines say, "Are you almost disgusted with life, little man? I'll tell you a wonderful trick. That will bring you contentment if anything can,
    DO SOMETHING FOR SOMEBODY QUICK!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is why i scan the headlines, and skip TV.

    Thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could use a dose of optimism so I'm off to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just lovely stuff. Bad and Good, Yin and Yang...it all makes up the world. I rant and rave internally against the bad when in the old days I would march and protest. Now the professionals have taken over, and if there isn't enough coverage, they smash windows.

    I think I will go make a large sheet cake for my Sunday meeting. We don't charge them. It comes out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look for the good, rejoice in kindness, and be happy with what you have. Do not read the news, it is about those few exceptions that choose to live with hatred and chaos. Life is too short.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have truly been an elderly shut-in this past week and my friends who have volunteered to help me has been astounding. (Should that be "have" or "has"?)

    My favorite thing to do this time of year is to give the drive-in window person at fast food places a generous tip. They are astounded and appreciative.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi There, We ALL need OPTIMISM right now. The network news seems to bring us nothing but anger and hatred now which of course makes us all pessimistic, and just divides us as a country...

    Acts of Kindness (even a smile to someone) can mean so much --all of the time, not just THIS time of year.

    AND let's not forget to pray for our country and all of this anger and hatred. Pray that we all remember that we are AMERICANS first --and should learn to accept and affirm each other --despite our differences. We should be celebrating our diversity... What has happened????

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.