Wednesday, October 01, 2014

One Green Day at a Time Introduction to Ireland


I started with a Friday night red-eye flight against the sun and landed in the morning of  the next day in my vacation country, staying through that week until leaving on the following Monday morning. Then I arrived home the same Monday around 9:00 P.M. in the evening East Coast time but about 2:00 A.M. vacation country time, and I yet I still survived!  As some of you guessed it was a trip to Ireland.   I never had the chance to visit this Emerald Aisle, and this time ventured forth with my son and his wife and her parents.

I took over 2,000 photos, the sun shined about 80% of the time, we got lost very briefly a few times, we saw a LOT of the island, we lucked out several times, and we had a stupendous trip. We (hubby) was successful in driving on the left side of the road in both the cities and along the very narrow country roads.  We mostly followed our son's car as his phone GPS was more accurate than our rented Garmin GPS.

I will not bore you with all the pictures as travel photos can be a bit of a drag after the first 4 or 5!!  I will post a few in a themed review in the coming posts just to share for those who like to see another's travel experience or who have an interest in going someday.


I learned that paying for most of the tourist tours is really worth it.  The Irish are great at telling tales and keeping you informed about the castle, or factory, or garden, or history of the place you visit.  They are truly friendly and VERY helpful.  We did not make it to Northern Ireland, which I am told is more somber and reserved and really another country.

All of the people I traveled with had various percentages of Irish blood in their veins (and since there are more Irish people outside of Ireland than on the island, perhaps even I have a drop of such blood ;-) and perhaps this is what made the trip so wonderful.  Bits and pieces to follow.

(My cough was suppressed by heavy duty codeine which also helped with sleep!  I am slowly returning to normal.)


20 comments:

  1. I know many people who have been to Ireland and they all said what you just did. They had a wonderful time and the people were very friendly and welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you are feeling better! I love travel photos, but agree that too many can get a bit burdensome. I'd rather hear your stories about the trip. I love to take local tours when travelling, as you miss so much about the history, etc., if you strike out just on your own. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful trip for you all. My son and dil lived there for six months a couple of times-- Dublin-- for work and they loved it. He still works a lot with the Irish as they share projects and enjoys the people a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so beautiful. I'm 50% Irish but have never visited there. I'll be eager to learn more about your trip and see you photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I could edit the stupid mistakes I make!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome home....I guessed right. Please reconsider about the photos. Your readers are avid photo folks. Perhaps an album on facebook. 80% sun is in the nature of a miracle. How wonderful...how green. How great to be with family too.
    Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back. Ireland is someplace I would like to tour someday. Should have started many years ago if I want to see everything on my list though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm enjoying your pictures. In spirit, we all have a touch of the Irish in us. Sorry to hear about that cough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my best friends was born and raised in Ireland - what a good storyteller she is! I've never been to Ireland, but I'm actually part Irish on my mother's side. Glad you're felling better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh, Ireland! Rest up, and tell us more. I love Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to see photos of what you loved most.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to see more!




    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a whirlwind tour n good travel plan! Such a pretty place, too- only 2000? Mostly I think I'd be intrigued by being in such an ancient- culture occupied land. I'd like to see Scotland myself- due to part of my heritage.
    I was acquainted with someone in N.Ireland thru blogging who was very nice. Just a different way of life there.
    Glad it all went well, n you're home so you can sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG! What beautiful photos!! How did you ever choose 2 out of 2,000??

    What a coincidence. I also went to Ireland this past May. My late hubby had Irish roots, but that's not why I went. There was a Writer's Workshop I wanted to attend and since I'd never been to Ireland, off I went.

    Gorgeous countryside. I loved it. And the people we soooo nice and helpful (especially country folk). The workshop was held in a B&B on the South/West coast in the Beara peninsula (Eyeries is the closest town).

    Haven't even posted about it yet! It will probably be winter by the time I do (and all snug and cozy at home, looking over my summer photos).

    So glad you had a great time. And travelling with family makes it much more special.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks just beautiful. I'm glad you had a fine time and that you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My son and his partner who happens to be Scots Irish spent a summer working in Ireland and they told us how wonderful it was. They said they especially loved the people.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sky is fantastic. Please bore me with more shots! I'm so Irish that I thought I saw my relatives while there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful travelogue, thank you! Last November, I spent a couple of weeks in Rep and N Ireland and loved both. We visited some of the same places...what good memories, thank you for reviving them.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.