Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Gathering Place

Last month in between bouts of cold weather, we took two of our loved ones and headed out to the nearby "beach".  It is not on the ocean and the water remains shallow a long way out, but it is a nice pretense when one needs an open water type day.  It is a great place for a fossil hunt or beach glass find, and my son has married a gem of a girl who thinks something like this is actually a fun thing to do, explore vast amounts of sand.  (His last girlfriend had issues with a manicure.)



There were strollers, in the photo below two each both with long witches manes deep in some philosophical conversation as they took their constitutional.  I would have loved to have kept up a bit and listened in as you know very much what a nosy people watcher I am.


In stark contrast were two young ladies who had found some treasure on the beach and were eager to share with their mother.  How much would you pay to be that age again for just the day?  Maybe if you click on the photo, you can see their loyal best friend in the middle waiting for them to pass him so that he can once again catch up.


There are those who come with everything but the kitchen sink pushed on a small trailer to stay for a full day and enjoy the cool (58 degrees F)  but pleasant weather.  I cannot help but think his wife is at home enjoying a peaceful afternoon ;-)

Then there are the real solitary types for whom this communion with waves caressing the sand is a necessary or a greatly enjoyed restorative experience.  You can just see him in the far left.  I would give more than a penny for his thoughts.


And we did find a few fossil and beach glass treasures as a reward at the end of the day.


As person who loves stories, I wish I was creative enough to write one for each of these photos.

24 comments:

  1. I always like to come away from the beach with a few treasures in my pockets, but sometimes it is just sand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you just did. Lovely photos and thoughts which each of them evoked. Love the sandy hands at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You showed so many ways the beach can be enjoyed, by all types of folks. It looks like a lovely place to spend a day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But you've inspired us all to see stories in your photographs, and that's equally good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I were there, you gave us a great view.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pictures and text are perfect together. Plus, sharks' teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beach treasures and people watching, what more could you ask?

    ReplyDelete
  8. A nice set of photos. I have been meaning to tell you how much I like your header, so now I am telling you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have made a lovely story out of your photo collage. I am impressed with the weather to enjoy such outings. . . . . ... we are well into the depths of winter here. Blessings from Dalamory www.freda.org.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely shark's teeth. Wonderful sandy Sloughs. Lovely trip to the beach. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for these beach shots. I'm reveling in the sky, the sand, and the water. I haven't walked a beach in a long time. I have a favorite pair of earrings that are made from pale green/blue beach glass

    ReplyDelete
  12. ha. hey at least he and his wife make it work...ha...i love finding treasure on the beach...such intriguing things though i def get sucked into the people....

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're creative enough - and I'd love to hear those stories!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your words triggered little mind movies for me without you filling in all the story details.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love traipsing about on beaches, looking down for treasure more than looking out at the water.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always do those excursions- pretty spot! Those look like shark teeth...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Read your comment on Kay's blog -- the one about the "Christmas" card with the rifle toting bigots! OMG!!! I would have burned it, too, but on their front step! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh -- and I love your being able to visit a beach -- any beach. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's so cool! Do you have any idea what sort of teeth those are? Are they shark teeth?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beachcombing is a most delightful activity.
    I’d love to come along too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is my favorite kind of day with the grandkids. Thanks for sharing your day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can plant myself into all of those photos and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The sea and shore is such a big canvas!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.