Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Hungry? Let's Play!

I saw the second installment of  a movie, The Hunger Games, over the holidays.  I had read the book trilogy a few years ago, and wondered why it was such an easy read, because it was pretty good.  Then I learned that it was written as a Young Adult series.  When I was reading I felt that it seemed not that far-fetched, and then I saw the two movies and felt that it was not really the future...it was the present.

Why?

If you have not read The Hunger Games you can go here for a Cliff's Notes Summary.  Or you can read my quick summary which leaves a lot out. or you can read the books.

Summary:  The books reflect a society that is under the control of the privileged few.  The privileged dress exotically, have exotic eating habits and hobbies, can indulge in almost anything and are happily ignorant of the fact that they are surviving on the backs of the various districts that produce food and products for them and keep the country going.  Each of these districts has a skill level, an important product or resource for the country, and in most cases a bare survival life style for its citizens.  They get money and food based on their contributions to the country and get additional bonuses if they have a winner in the hunger games.  The rich and powerful government tightly controls everything, has technological eyes everywhere, and finding out what is really going on is information only for the privileged few.   The games themselves involve an annual contest where children are "reaped" by lottery from each district and placed in a televised battle to the death with lots of science fiction animals, weather, and weapons and against each other.  It is a contest that reminds the citizens that a revolution against the Capital can result in annihilation.  I do not do the book justice with such a short summary, but it is a good (not great) read.

Now, back to my premise that we are in a society much like the one above and getting closer every year:

We have two societies already in this country:  1) The very wealthy and upper middle class  2) The rapidly shrinking middle class living on the edge and the growing poor.  Following are even more clues that we are strangely close to this story.  Our wars are not far from being battles to the death for our young (mostly) which we honor if they return, even missing pieces.

1)  The NSA scandal which indicates they watch us more than we know
2)  Fashion shows---I mean really have you seen anything more exotic than the parade of costumes the rich wear?
3)  News stories on men who dress as inflated dolls!
4)  Digital grieving and lighting virtual memory candles via computer for the departed.
5)  Edible packaging of foods
6)  The woman who had plastic surgery to look like a Barbie Doll.
7)  Clearly visible plastic surgery and Botox injections on male and female newscasters giving them the oddest places for wrinkles and dimples when they lift an eyebrow or grin.  Go ahead and check a few talking heads next time.
8)  The legalization of marijuana which has resulted in pot hotels with pot smoking lounges, a surge in buildings that are designed for growing the weed, and a new Wall Street fund for pot that is growing like madness.
9).  While the U.S. poverty level has been reduced in this country since the war was declared by President Johnson, world poverty is growing very fast.
10)  One citizen worries about their next meal while another citizen buys the fancy package for their new car that will not only heat the seats in the winter but also cool those same seats in the summer. 

And lastly...3-D printers that can print pets that do not need to be fed or cleaned up after......yes, maybe that one is made up, but do you really think that is very far away?

Half of us get lazier and half of us work so much harder.  It is the Hunger Games.


12 comments:

  1. You make a good point. Our society is very much like The Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure we are there yet, but the future does look frightening in my eyes.

    I did not think I would enjoy the first movie, but I did find it exciting and interesting. However, one was enough for me. My granddaughter's comment after seeing the latest installment, "awesome".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you might have jumped the shark on this one, but then I have not read the books or seen the movies. Just not my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not my cup of tea either. Everyone I know who has read the books likes them.

    Me. I just plod along falling from my upper middle class existence to a place where I do own my own home and two vehicles. What that means now, I don't know. I do still believe in getting an education. REal bottom line stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the books and saw both films. It was discomforting to say the least. It's not that farfetched. I wonder if our civilization is collapsing, with 8 grandchildren I find it scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do make a case here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These books are important books for young adults to read for all of the reasons that you have stated. I've had dozens of conversations with middle schoolers on just exactly what you are talking about. Everybody should read the series; it isn't just another scifi thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm reading a lot of social theory now. Don't know whether it's helping or confusing. Most of us are making the best of things and hanging on as best we can, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We do have a lot to look at and change in our society.

    ReplyDelete
  10. At first a thought, a good metaphor for now, but now I think maybe a caricature so that we can see the parallels.

    I didn't see the first movie for along time because I wanted to boycott it since it was about children killing children, but my son (who read the series) recommended it and we watched it with him. I liked it enough to see the second one in the theater.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have read all 3 books and enjoyed them. And the movie was quite good. Made for great discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just thinking this morning of how fortunate we are to ponder whether to buy 3 ply tissues and tp as opposed to 2 ply. I must confess to succumbing to the allure of 3 play for the tp.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.