Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Danube Dump

I was perusing my (many) photos and found that there were so many interesting things that I did not discuss here and I can briefly address in the post below.  This post is what I call a photo-dump.  (Plus...just for Mage and other boat/ship fans I have ONE MORE post after this with an interesting history on shipping in the Danube and a few bits and bytes about that.)


Hungary and Budapest itself are primary places for making movies.  I could not get closer to this very interesting architectural building (multiple styles were combined) because they were making an Italian movie.  When the wardrobe lady passed with her plastic bag of Italian shoes, I did have to stare a little.


This driver lost control of these beautiful animals just as I was about to cross in front of him.  The reins had come loose and the animals were not being told where to go.  The jangle of a harness being flung around and hooves being clomped down can be quite breathtaking and attention getting!  


Above is a picture of my shipmates taking photos of the vast vineyards in Germany.  Such wonderful wines they do have!


As most of us know, Germany is taking the lead in renewable energy.  These were HUGE!



The tiny town of Passau, maybe 50,000 people, seemed to have an unusual number of doctors!!


This was the only shop where I was yelled at for taking  a photo...ooops...too late!  Clearly the doctor above is not helping with the stress of some of the folks here.


11 comments:

  1. When we lived in Germany we learned to enjoy German white wines. But I can't get them where I live now.
    I really think we might enjoy that cruise you were on. Maybe some day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure saw a lot of beautiful places

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely hats, I wonder if the shop owner thought you were going to go home and whip up a matching selection?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just read all your trip posts. I have the impression that you would recommend these river cruises across central Europe and that you had a very interesting (if tiring) time.

    Perhaps I will finally have to book myself on one - solo - because Beloved isn’t keen.

    I’d relish the history, most of which I know and finding the places to add to book learning would be a great experience. I also know most of the foods - obviously - but haven’t eaten them for years. Heavens above, I’d come home a stone heavier.

    Thanks for all the information, you’ve given me a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have friends who've taken this trip and loved it. I think in one instance it was actually partially a biking trip - they would get off, bike a portion, and be picked up again by the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really make me want to book this cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Large wind turbines are noisy gov(our tax $) funded bird killers!
    Have always loved hats. Understandably the hat Shop keeper most likely thought you were going to copy the designs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feel free to dump more vacation pictures if you want. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the hat shop. Those "fascinators" are fascinating. I had to look twice to figure out that you were taking the vineyard photo from the top deck of the river boat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seems like a nice trip. My sister-in-law is headed for Italy in a week's time...slightly jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I kinda wish I lived in a world were I could wear hats like that. Fun, the way you ended the post!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.