Saturday, October 06, 2012

Argh!!

I am in the process of buying a car and want to warn others who might be entering this dark period in your life.  Make sure your health is at its peak.  Make sure your finances have no surprises.  Make sure your marriage is rock solid.  (When we went looking for a 2012 model at a Ford dealership last week, hubby took the side of the salesmen encouraging me to look at the 2013's and compare because they didn't have any 2012's of the model currently on the lot!  It is not polite to argue in front of the salesman and gives him an advantage.  Fortunately this salesmen was about 18 and didn't know quite how to handle a domestic dispute.)

I remember when I went out to purchase my very first car after landing my first real job. I was on cloud 29.  My Dad went with me and I had total faith in his ability to cover my back.  I knew absolutely nothing about buying a car, and perhaps, my father did not know much more.  I had the down payment and took over the monthly costs with no help from my parents.  But I got this beauty and loved it totally, even though it proved not to be the guy-magnate that I thought it might be.  Hard to believe that is not a toy car, isn't it?  (What might be harder for you to believe is I still wear the same style, not the same actual clothes, as in this photo!  And I only weigh about 40 pounds more.)



Car purchasing is such an agonizing experience for most people because the industry hires people to sell you a product based on their commission and not a fair salary.  The price on the car is a huge secret fudge figure.  They give salespeople a bag of tricks and then they begin to wear you down to a nub by stalling on everything from whether they really have the model they told you they had to adding tons of stuff to the total cost.  Can someone explain to me why floor mats cost as much as carpeting for a house?

I know that the first rule is to NEVER fall in love with anything you test drive.  Be able to walk away.  That is not a problem with me.  I have no ego tied to any vehicle I purchase these days.  It is about comfort, convenience, safety and cost.  I test drove a "luxury" Toyota Avalon and in all honesty did not feel much different (except for space) when compared to the Camry that I drove immediately after.  It has been 15 years since I purchased a car, and as a result, the bells and whistles that impress me are standard features on cars these days.

I have been saving money for several years to be able to pay cash because I cannot make much by investing the money and then applying it to car payments and paying the increased cost that is worked into that deal.  Others tell me that is not true, but I do not see it on my statements and numbers.  I also have a serious psychological aversion to paying for anything on time, so that is pre-paid therapy in my mind.  I will put as much of this purchase as I can on a credit card to get the points.

I am hoping by next week to have this whole thing finished.  I emailed the Toyota salesman yesterday, but he is taking his time to respond.  Hubby wants me to push it, but I kindly explained that there is more than one 2012 Camry in this state that has one of the 4 colors I like and all the features.  I do not want the salesmen to think I am in any hurry...and in reality, I am not.  My old car got an oil change this week, a $37 fix on the AC and the mechanic told me it is fine and should run for quite a while longer.  (It is going to my son who spent more than the cost of this model on a ring, if you will remember.)

If you are interested I will keep you posted.  If you have advice, I'll certainly listen.


20 comments:

  1. I am more than interested. Grumpy is going to have to go to someone else. Period. Yes, there is a wonderful toyota Solera version of the Camery. You would love it. I say this as a past, dogged, owner of a SPL311 that looked just like your, is it, 2000. Red too. Mine was the first year out after the fairlady. LOL I loved it. Just loved it literally to it's death.

    Yes, no scarves now. :) The clothes are vastly wider.

    Yes those shots are legal. :) Makes you almost 20 again. No wonder those football and baseball players love their steroids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adventures in car shopping. Argh, indeed. Such a cute picture of you, first cars, fresh into adult life, great times. Can't believe I used to put my scarf over all those fat hair curlers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cars are a sore subject at our house. I'm a firm believer that the most economical time to buy a new car is when the old one cannot be prodded into running another mile. Once a new car reaches 50 thousand miles Bob starts looking at new cars. A car means nothing to me except a set of wheels to get me somewhere. I don't care how old it is, I just care if it's dependable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought the car I wanted with the options I wanted at the price I wanted through the Costco plan. One Costco approved price no haggling, no hassle, and no regrets! I am 100% satisfied. Good luck with your negotiations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to negotiate and seem to have a talent for it, but a few years ago I was in a showroom with our son who was buying a car. We were seated in a large room with around twenty tables and most were filed with couples haggling over prices. In every instance, the woman was leading the negotiation while her man sat on his hands. Interesting how the times have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If the salesman tries to be silent and make you fill the silence, don't do it. Keep as quiet as you can, as they are hoping you will fill the silence and talk yourself into things you really don't need.

    Continue to be willing to walk away, or use the words "That's not good enough" followed by complete silence to get the car for a good price.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a guy magnet? Sure! And the car isn't bad either!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an adorable little car!! the first car i bought was red as well, and it looks like it may have been around the time you bought yours. do they still make read cars??? if ever i buy another vehicle, i'm going to try to do as much of it online as i can. i hate car shopping! let us know what you finally decide on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We bought our car a few years ago. After research on line, we agreed on a make and model. The first Ford dealer said, "Oh, we don't have one of those, but let's look at..." A second dealer, a bit farther down the road, didn't exactly have one either, but they contacted other dealers in New England and upstate NY to find us what we wanted. We ended up buying the one the dealership used as a shuttle. They did a complete detail and put on 4 new tires. We felt very well treated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck. My car 10 years old and I will drive until it stops in the road and then hopefully my son will help me find another one.
    I love the red car and you are beautiful...
    Probably in my 80's when next car purchase arrives and wondering if I should go with a red convertable :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sister 1944 just purchased a Toyota Camry. She is loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A new car? Brand new? I only ever buy used cars. New cars lose their value too quickly, the minute you have driven them home, they are worth a lot less. Over here, anyway.

    Have fun with your new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Last car I bought, I told the salesman that I had xxx dollars of retirement money and that was all....when the manager asked what I was going to do for him to get the price I wanted (several thousand under their price) I said I'd bring him homemade chocolate chip cookies...and he gave me my price...and I did bring him cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. no advice here. i dread car buying. dread it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:51 PM

    I leave the car replacement to my husband.

    Love that car in your picture - and you look good too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the picture. There is not enough time to tell my car stories but I've got some doozies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We love our 2002 Camry that we bought second hand a couple of years ago after someone rear-ended our ancient Volvo. It's such a trouble free car, and we certainly don't care about glamor. Good wheels, and cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tabor, I’m having one of those weeks. I am so behind on my comments and I can’t find the one on your new car . . . so please know I send hearty congratulations. I know I read it and was thankful you had one more glass of wine to delay your departure from the restaurant, but I’ll be damned if I can find your post. This week is a wash and as your faith follower I’ll be caught up next week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. P.S. You were and are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always buy used, paid in full. I hate the stress of payments.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.