Monday, July 02, 2012

I Done Something Right

This is a post my son put on his FB page today.  He has been without power since late Friday and probably will not get power until the coming weekend.   I read his post and had to share with my Blogger friends because I think he has it right on.
 "1.6 Billion people live without electricity everyday. That's roughly a quarter of the population. You still have clean water, available food, and natural gas. Get some perspective, people. You have been coddled and lulled into a state of flacid luxury, and your complaints mock the very global humanity you ignore everyday. Likely, you have done nothing to help build the infrastructure that lets you see this very post, yet at it's first failure, you cry foul. You are standing on the shoulders of giants and complaining of the view. Be thankful for what you have, and be thankful for the crews from around the country who have come help to restore.  If you have an elderly neighbor, stop by and check on them. Take the money you are saving on electricity and consider helping others get cleaner electricity: http://www.solar-aid.org/
or help those closer to home by donating to the United way: http://www.unitedway.org/ or the Red Cross: www.redcross.org.   I hope you all are well, and am proud you have read this far. Pedestal detachment commencing."

19 comments:

  1. Sounds like you raised that boy right. Often in times of trouble like this, people do come together to help each other. I think we need the power to go out more often - less the storms that caused it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope many people read this powerful message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you raised your son right!
    Congratulations!
    What a great message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent. You done good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, Tabor. He's standing tall in your footprints.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lost my original post again. Sigh.

    I will try to remember what I wrote.

    That is very profound. By any chance does he write some of the songs that his band performs? He seems to be very insightful and aware of what is important in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Peruby, he writes most of the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true but much easier said that done. Bright young man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the first line is one to really keep in mind, that a quarter of the world's population live without electricity. It does have me thinking because the generator is loud and smelly and so the electricity has an instant price. And it has brought our neighborhood closer together. I am shocked though at how vulnerable we really are, one big wind and it's down for the count.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Colleen...and terrorists spend time trying to bomb planes. All they would have to do is shut down the grid in a few major places and we become whimpering idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great son. He did forget to mention the "Salvation Army" Relief efforts. :)

    RYN: Yes, I think he feels as you do about the fireworks this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent post... yep, you done right! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how sad for him and his family.. GREAT post.. He's a smart young man.. BUT--we are all so spoiled.. I complain here because it is HOT... But-we still have electricity, water, and all of the conveniences.

    This is a powerful message and please thank him for this.. I know you are proud of him.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. he is wonderful!
    and so so right
    I have had the same feeling during our Hurricane, so much whining and so very little grace or gratitiude

    he's wonderful
    I had to say it twice

    and thanks for the kind comment
    I think Poe on Twitter would have been a hoot

    ReplyDelete
  15. His mama raised him right, for sure. Of course hat Midlife Jobhunter said is also very true. There's all kinds but those who can see beyond their own misfortunes are certainly the ones you'd want in times of trouble. Good for your boy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. smart guy you helped make there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You should be so proud. A fine fellow, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so slow useage on Elec. this summer it's pathetic! VHS n DVD broke- hot water dripping so shut off breaker, n almost caught up on high payments from elec heat again- I'd love a solar panel...

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.