Thursday, April 26, 2012

Only Me

As I have written before, I keep this blog site somewhat anonymous. It is mostly for my own freedom of thought. I do not have to second guess what I will write and how it may affect those of an opposite political persuasion, different spiritual path, or those who are related to me and are just sadly ignorant.

Therefore, on this blog I can admit that I am somewhat a ghost of myself.  I was taking photos on the deck with my point and shoot trying to determine what settings would help bring depth to the over the top pink on my geranium blossoms when I noticed that  I had forgotten to zoom and had instead taken a picture of myself!  So for those of you curious as to kind of -  sort of - what I look like, this photo above is for you.

Photography and "photoshopy" has been taking up a great deal of my time.  Other than bill paying, I spend more time at the computer trying to sort through and delete hundreds of photos that would have been considered good by me when I started taking pictures more seriously about 5 years ago.  Now I have enough experience to see how bad I am and how much I depend on post processing.  Purists will turn up their noses at me, but I have over 6 decades on this planet and no longer care what others think!


Above is an un-retouched photo of my pink columbine.  Taken with a telephoto to give it that bokeh effect.  It has spots in the back ground not yet removed and a distracting leaf in the lower right.


Above is the same photo with a different texture in the background and with the contrast and hue enhanced.  Both have been reduced in pixel size so they do not fully capture the changes.  What do you think anyway?

21 comments:

  1. I think the change is amazing. All I can say is go for it. I wish I had the attention span and the patience to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it makes a beautiful prize to be framed and added to one's home decor. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like seeing the little glimpse of you. :)

    As for the photos, both are pleasing to the eye. I wish I could comment on your technique, but my knowledge is limited to a point and shoot.

    Photography is on my list of courses I'd like to take.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bottom one is the better of the two. Your changes improved the richness and strengthened the composition. That bottom leaf was a distraction and you were wise to remove it. I see nothing wrong with making creative changes, especially when they're being done with this level of skill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you didn't zoom -- accidental self-portraits are nice. And I do like the work you have been doing on older shots. I also discover each year what a terrible photographer I was the year before that. Although I am also humbled to discover sometimes what a good photographer I was 40 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely to see you. :)

    I like both images. Photography is an art. So is enhancing it. I'm for whatever creates an end product which makes the artist happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. RYN: 5 pm. He get's off work at 5. I can work around 5 too.

    Like the self portrait. I like both of the bottom two also. Perhaps a tighter crop. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to crop and photoshop, but I don't so much any more. I think the "imperfection" of the out of place leaf in the columbine photo gives it some movement, makes it seem livelier. But I am no photographer- just enjoy taking pix.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOve the surprise "portrait." Your columbine goes from picture to painting with the changes, more delicate and personal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I might have done some editing to the first shot too, but would probably not have gone as far as you have.

    So, are you saying you are actually a ghost?

    ReplyDelete
  11. technologically speaking, you're far more advanced than your husband. just look at what you can do to your photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My first thought was that I like the original photo of the flower much better but the more I look at the second one, the more I like it. It sort of looks like a frosted glass in the background.

    Love those accidental reflection photos! At least you were not in your houserobe or pajamas! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice "seeing" you!! And I spend way too much time "altering" photos myself. But I love it.
    Am I a purist?? Nope.!! Love the altered images.
    Just like realism in painting. I have seen the old barn many times. But pattern and shapes intrigue me constantly.
    Love your altered photo. Gorgeous
    Hugs
    SUeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both photos are fine, but I prefer the top floral because the bottom one looks reworked, but that's just my preference, and doesn't reflect on your choice! I use my camera mainly as a reference tool and take hundreds of images to sort through and choose what I want to use to draw illustrations from...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I think you look swell and should post a less ghostly image. However, I can understand the wish for mostly remaining anonymous. Me? I don't give a damn. Maybe I'm just too ignorant to know what evil will befall me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:11 AM

    dog training brisbane


    Hi Tabor. You're such an exceptional blogger. You say what's on your mind. As in everything! Cool. That's what I like. Straightforward.

    ReplyDelete
  17. so that's what you look like! :-)

    to me, the columbine at the top looks like a photo. the one on the bottom looks like artwork. and i like them both!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi There, I understand trying to be anonymous --but what I am most interested in when it comes to blogging is friendship. I love knowing my blog friends, where they are from, things about their families, etc. Everyone blogs for different reasons.. That's just what I enjoy the most.

    Love both of those photos --but the 2nd one is awesome.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think you need to feel embarrassed about using post processing. Even with film many famous photographers played in their darkrooms. Don't let anyone intimidate you about that, L(

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's lovely to see you! You look very nice! Thanks for the portrait.
    Beautiful the photo of you on the porch and the geranium.

    Both pink columbine are beautiful, but I preferred the one with the contrast.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.