Thursday, February 09, 2012

Honesty

Friko posted recently about how polite we are in our comments to other bloggers.  She compared this to the advertising that tells us what we want to read about ourselves so that we will buy their products. "You are a smart woman so you really should try this." I do think that we are usually very kind and complimentary in our blog comments.  I know that I have never told anyone that their post was interesting and just needed a grammatical correction here and there and should probably have a more concise conclusion.  I actually don't think I ever thought it even!  I would never mention typos since I am the Queen of those.  I also know that I am most strongly attracted to those blogs that seem transparent and honest.

I think that perhaps we are kinder to our readers than we would normally be because we want them to continue to read the daily stuff we write; maybe they can improve their writing skills by reading us.  We want them to enjoy our breakfast descriptions, our new purchases, our baby pictures, our fun with pets events, our music choices and above all our daily angst and whining.  In exchange we will endure their goat's antics, their garden photos, their dirty cartoons and their painful poetry...and in Tabor's case, her overuse of the period as a pause feature.

When I commented on Friko's post I explained that I tell the truth 99% of the time, which perhaps most of us do.  If I cannot write anything nice I will NOT make a comment.  Of course, this does not mean that my lack of comments on your blog post means I did not like it.  I  might not have read it, might have figured I had nothing to add, or might not have understood it enough to comment, as I can be a little thick.  I do not follow most of the many fiction writers blogs, but I guess if I did I would be glad to critique their work honestly if they asked...but I could only critique as a reader, as I do not see myself as a good editor.   On other types of blogs, daily journal types, if someone was writing about some difficult time in their life and I thought that they were in a rut and whining too much, I probably would not comment honestly because I have no idea what stage of their life they were in and whether I had the full story of this drama.  Even most honest writers can only write about their lives through the glasses that they are wearing.  And if someone else spent too much time writing about their cat, I would not comment with "What a bore you are becoming."  I wouldn't be reading their blog in the first place.

Most of us do not get paid for this sterling prose that we type, and therefore, really do not deserve a critique. Some of us have the time and interest to create meme challenges, award icons and links to those posts we read that impress us.  That keeps the soup stirred so it doesn't burn and also helps us meet each other.

I am off on a trip to Charlotte, North Carolina for an early Valentine's getaway and will complete the drawing and announcement on the prior post when I return.  I only got a dozen blogger's interested which may say more about my photography than it does about interest in my blog!  Oh well, I am not going to dwell too long on either painful thought.  Play nice while I am away.

14 comments:

  1. I once did have a comment that I was completely wrong headed about my political beliefs--in a cranky kind of way, too. Religion and politics are touchy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will only be negative in a political blog and there I have bent more than a few feathers as well as gotten mine tweaked by commenters on my own political one. Otherwise, like you, I'd say nothing if I couldn't say something positive. A lot I read, nod, think that's good but just don't add to it. I can't even imagine writing a negative review on someone's book at like Amazon. Yet, I read a lot that aren't so nice about it. I would, if someone asked my opinion, give them the truth; but hope they didn't ask if I didn't like it. I have a good friend where she and I will find fault with each other in comments on each other's blogs but it's because we are friends that we'd be willing to disagree and not worry about hurting feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes the comments can be as interesting and informative as the post that encouraged them. On one blog in particular that I read, there are often genuine conversations arising from some point the blogger has raised. I'm of the if-you-can't-add-anything-positive-don't-speak school so I doubt I'd leave a cranky comment anywhere. I've had a few on my blog but that's why the delete button was created :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your photography is absolutely superb. But my walls are covered with artwork and I never go in for give-aways, no matter what. Besides, 12 comments is quite a lot! At least I think so. You will make somebody so happy with that gorgeous photo. I wish I had something to give away.

    As far as making comments goes, I agree with everything you have said. The one or two times I have left less-than-positive remarks, I have felt a real cooold shoulder from the person involved.

    Enjoy your trip to Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am only a few months into blogging. I work full time and want to eventually post style photos but not even sure about that. As I blog to find my voice I also read about blogging and heard that a major part of it is commenting on others blogs so that they will visit your blog. "Love your hair and your scarf is perfect" type comments suddenly feel like I am at a giant cocktail party and I don't like parties. I prefer dialogue but that takes a lot of time for those of us who work full time plus have a life
    off line. Not sure how honesty can be incorporated unless positive because negative just sounds rude? Not sure how to work that out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear ya!! But I am secretly glad that most everyone is kind to me...and puts up with my blog.\
    12 commenters is excellent!!
    Be proud girl...!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I mainly write so my children and grandchildren know me a little better. I type away early in the morning and do not check much.
    My editor daughter sometimes corrects something. It is really not important to me.
    I an an encourager by nature and read and comment this way. Would never say something to hurt someones's feelings.
    Your pictures are beautiful and if my cottage had more walls I would love to win something like this.
    Enjoy this get away. I surely need one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I often think that if they really knew me, they wouldn't like me. I note that some days I get a hundred readers. Never do I get more than 11 notes. Max. So my life has a limited audience. Days that I let snippits of me out are days that I get more notes. And too, I only break out in political opinion as a last resort. :)

    Have a great Valentines trip, she says waving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS: 11 noters here on blogger. On Open Diary, that closed blogging spot, for the same entry I usually get 20 much freer opinions. It also depends on the time of day you post, the picture you post with your entry....never the prose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a writer; just an wanna be photographer. I encourage honest comments on my photos. That's the way I know that I have to do better sometimes.
    And it lets me know if someone other than myself enjoys what I enjoy. I would rather have no comments than constant negative ones. That would be so depressing.
    Tabor and Friko, I really enjoy what you both have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mostly I read and rarely do I comment which I know isn't realy fair Sometimes I comment just to let someone know I am there. Often I will comment because I have been inspired or because I realize the writer is deeply sad or anxious. I sometimes I can't resist raising another viewpoint/ but I find I don't stick with those who make my blood boil...I love to see what others write in the comments - and often then check out their blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blogging is a bit like ordinary social interaction too isn't it. I mean I don't usually tell my friends if they are wearing something that makes them look awful. On the rare occasions I comment on blogs in anything like a critical way it is usually peple who have written stuff they want critiqued. of course like most of us they only want the positive thoughts, really. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I. thought. this. was. period-pause. overuse! I hypen-ate what shouldn't be constantly... on purpose!
    I try to comment in the positive also, or add how I'm relating to what the post was about.

    I've had very little time to read this week- work has been very busy. Your pic is pretty tho!

    Tonight an update is trying to reboot me every 5 minutes- this old machine is the pits n too slow...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tabor, whenever I go to your blog, I am fascinated, entertained, intrigued, and a ton of other things. I always leave with a smile and most times a comment too.

    I think (whether blogging or in RL) if you think something good, or nice about someone you should let them know. Otherwise it becomes a dead thought - and what use are those? Besides, you never know what your comment would mean to someone else.

    I have been on a sort of hiatus of sorts and haven't blogged or read blogs for a while. ... . But yours is always a great read and I'm always glad I stopped. I'm also so grateful when you stop by to check on me. :) I just wanted you to know that.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.