Monday, September 05, 2011

Solitary Creatures


Alone,
Hearing the sigh of air through the rooms of the house
Feeling the fall of the dust through the sunbeams
Creating the echo of a distant laugh from memory

No other soul to share this faint laughter
No other being to study my countenance
No other person to worry about my sloth

The day moves slowly with no rhythm
Just the length of the shadows skirting the lawn
To remind me of the passing time

Today's solitary activities create
No regrets or anxious goals to be met
or concerns for a different tomorrow

All is at last at an even keel
The balance of a perfect floating bubble
And this I will treasure for the whole of time.

(Oddly enough, this was written before the adventurous weather ride we recently took...perhaps created due to the prior drop in air pressure on my brain, you can see I was in a very different state of mind before the storm.)

12 comments:

  1. It perfectly describes me today. Lovely image, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you many more contemplative days like the one you describe here. Occasionally, the tired spirit needs refreshing and what better than solitude to do it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an utterly perfect day. I do hope you feel wiser and calmer after such a lovely rest. I do love having the house to myself for several days at a time. (Just me and my sloth! I don't even make the bed or do dishes...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love "just the length of the shadows skirting the lawn" as if to say "time looms." Well said. I have days that are like this poetry. You should submit it to dVersepoets.com Open Link. They open at 3:00 on Tuesday and poets visit poets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this. I hope that this is me in one year's time, after I've retired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fine poetry. Carried me off to a soothing, thoughtful place. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suppose that's the closest most of us could get to a perfect description of Nirvana. And it's a very fine poem into the bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "All is at last at an even keel
    The balance of a perfect floating bubble...." Oh if only we could keep it that way. Very nice Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your poem! Of course I'm most often solitary too-
    Apparently pressure was off of you to write of such a good state!
    You are fortunate to have such days!
    Wish I did...I'm stressed today having to BBsit instead of what I'd planned for my free time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading that made me want a day alone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you been a poet your entire life? I guessing, yes, for it seems to be a gift that you have, or don't have.

    It was very nice to read. I haven't had many days like that, but my season will come.

    Now you must write about the contrasting east coast drama that we're just coming out of. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the green - and your poem. I can appreciate the day moving slowly, with no rhythm.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.