Monday, August 15, 2011

Something Good

The morning has been washed with last night's rain and the air is cooler than it has been in almost a month.  One might actually think that autumn is waiting somewhat impatiently in the wings.  I am sitting out on the deck with beach towel covered chairs watching my grandson build animals from "play doh".  Towels keep the dampness from our legs.

Due to summer scheduling my grandson has no where to go this week, so we are attempting to provide some activities that can compete with the activity filled summer camps he has been attending since regular school was out.  Parents who both work spend hours in the spring signing their children up for this and that greatly enhanced babysitting service that can safely and expensively keep children occupied.

Weather has generously decided to be on our side this week and it does not look like we will have to spend hours indoors...as the week heats up again, we will see.

In the background I hear our little water fountain gurgling away on the patio below, my grandson is humming to himself ( a sure sign he is involved in something he enjoys), and the sea gulls are laughing back and forth across the river.  High in the wet tree leaves some bird is singing a joyful song with several movements.  As I type these words a hummingbird graces us with his presence, hovering at the edge of the patio umbrella and checking out our activities, adding another layer of perfection to the morning.

Then my grandson decides to share his latest escapade with Mario and Bowser (do not ask) and it takes some lengthy repetitive telling to reach the end of the story, which after twenty minutes he never actually ends, just stops talking from exhaustion and a need to visit the bathroom.  I realize that no one has probably ever listened to him for twenty minutes any time recently, and I ask questions and add comments, pretending this is the most amazing conversation I have had in days  Being a former teacher, I realize that allowing him to expound is good development towards future communication.  He does not have all of my attention, because I am distracted by the joy in his face and the twinkle in his eyes.

Mornings like these I pause in thankfulness for the reward, and like Julie Andrews, I keep thinking I must have done something good.  ( I do not even mind that my coffee has grown cold.)

16 comments:

  1. Don't you love moments like this? There is something so heartwarming about ones own grandchildren - they grab our heart's attention as well as our mind's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i too have my grandchild this week, due to hiatus between summer programming and the start of preschool. we are not so fortunate as you, though - it's raining here today and the forecast does not look promising. i am holding off as long as i can on the fort under the kitchen table! i know what you mean about that julie andrews feeling...this is a magical way for me to end my summer! have a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, this is a description of a beautiful, blissful morning. Hope every morning is like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can feel the happiness all the way over here on the west coast: no brass band, no clash of cymbals, just everything working together to provide a perfect morning.

    It takes patience and selflessness, but listening is probably one of the purest forms of love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your story of a perfect morning with your grandson. I think my favorite line is "the sea gulls are laughing back and forth across the river." It is so descriptive and they do sound like they are laughing. I had never realized that before.

    Your grandson's story reminds me of the years when I listened to my son's tales of what he and his make believe play mates had been doing. He was like an only child because his sister was 10 years older and not interested in him at that stage of her life. I have the feeling that Mario and Bowser might be imaginary play mates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frankly, I am a believer in gramma's over camps. Then again, camps are lifesavers for working mom's and dad's. I would have been a happy kid at the library. :)

    What a magic gift you are giving him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These times are so precious.
    I know my little ones speak to my mind and my heart. Make me feel so loved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful for him that he has you to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a dear post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwwww. What a lovely, lovely post. It just makes me smile. And you finish it off with one of my all time favorite songs. Perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post Tabor... so happy to read the true joy! May we all be so blessed as to live in such moments!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grandparenting is one of God's best gifts to many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me again. Thanks again for being such a wonderful Gramma.

    Just for you, I've begun an outline of our September trip. First enstalment today. See what you get for asking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. RYN: No DC, unfortunately. I would love to, but we are going San Diego, LA, Portland, Chicago, and back to LA and San Diego. We will do family and friends in Portland, and we will do the Art Institute, cultural museum, and river tour in Chicago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds so familiar, the rapt conversation, his distracting beauty, the humming and even Mario! Not sure about Bowser.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like a perfect day to me. You're a good grandma.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.