Tuesday, August 23, 2011

1,001!

I just noticed that my last post on this blog was the 1,000th.  Quite the journalistic diarrhea I have going on here.  I didn't notice or I would have made greater use of the milestone.  Certainly it was worth a poem, but it appears that both you and I dodged that bullet.

This week I am breathing and eating slowly and catching up on all those murder mysteries that I missed watching when my grandson was here.  I did get him introduced to the Narnia series and now have purchased two other DVDs for when he returns for a few days this fall.

While I was breathing like a yoga instructor and sitting in front of the computer upstairs the house began to sway and jerk.  I did have a small glass of wine at the computer, but I knew it was not that, and instead, hopped like a crazy bunny outside.  I could see the bird feeders swinging dramatically from side to side in the back yard and I waited outside at least ten minutes before going back inside.  I am alone this week as hubby is on a business trip.  I figure I would not be found beneath the rubble for days!  5.8 on the earthquake scale and the largest since 100 years ago.  Everyone up and down the East Coast felt it.

I walked carefully around the house when I got back inside and found only one broken wine glass that had been hanging in the rack beneath the cupboard.  It seems that Colorado got a similar earthquake just a short while ago.  Here in the East we rarely get quakes, so they can be very startling.  Mother earth is settling down after all the water, oil, gas, and shale we have been taking from her layers.

Next week I get the 4-year-old girl for a week.  She is much more clingy and far less in love with the great outdoors  Maybe baking, making cookies, tea parties...!  Then we are off to Colorado and Utah for two weeks.  I will be taking the laptop and hoping to post and looking forward to some dramatic scenery to preserve with my camera.  I sure hope what I have to write about is of more significance and readability than these last few weeks.  I just need some Rocky Mountain air as my gray matter has been very sluggish these days.

15 comments:

  1. I seldom have the TV on but I do this afternoon. I'm trying to keep up with the East Coast earthquake and Libya without letting politics creep it. Now I understand you'll be having aftershocks. I have greater respect for earthquakes since moving to the PNW. Tsunami is a word that causes me to shake these days. In Texas it was hurricanes and tornados

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a break, it'll do you good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Egads, I can't believe that the east coast got this earthquake. Soon it will be us, sitting here on top of a gigantic fault line in Oregon.
    John and I just attended an emergency-preparedness meeting for our neighborhood. Seems we are at terrible risk for an earthquake of large magnitude, and at some point a forest fire as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I read that you too are rocking and rolling. Don't forget reading, museums, movies, and more cookies. Just stay safe there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't feel a thing, but at that moment, I was sitting in a vibrating massage chair at the nail salon.

    Enjoy your granddaughter and congratulations on reaching that magic number!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel quite left out. All that happened here was that the cat woke up and stared at the closet door!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on 1001 - and still going strong. What a nice time for you. One week with the boy and now a week with the girl. Memories, memories.

    We felt it (the quake) in my part of Ohio, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was even felt up here although mildly and big surprise, I was also at the computer. Enjoy you holiday and congrats on your 1000+ posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Didn't realize I had so many East Coast friends, but lots of you are talking about the quake. We had one near us in Missouri recently and Ron felt it but I didn't notice a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Quite the journalistic diarrhea I have going on here"

    Hahahahaha! 1000 posts. Incredible. Glad nothing else broke during the earthquake. You can always drink wine out of any container.

    Enjoy the vacation out west. Looking forward to the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops, just noticed that I failed to also congratulate you on your 1001 post. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi There, Congrats on 1001... I'm over 700 now...

    Hope you will be okay from that upcoming hurricane. Please be safe... GADS--what is going on? First an earthquake and now a hurricane????? Yipes.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love travel blogs ...and tea parties. I was at the computer when the quake struck. First the chair began trembling and I though I was trembling from overusing my hurt arm. I stopped and looked at the chair and saw nothing. Then the old overhead light started rattling and making a racket. Then it felt like Joe had decided to move the fridge downstairs and had dropped it! I screamed down 'what's going on?' He was on the porch working at his computer and said he thought a beer had gotten into the house (we recently discovered bear tracks and damage in our garden).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you are alright. I lived on the coast side of Oregon and Washington most of my life. My first earthquake was in Seattle in 1946, the bigger ones are frightening, no getting around it. Happy it wasn't any worse.

    ReplyDelete
  15. be careful with Irene....she may still be a mean one!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.