Friday, April 29, 2011

Romance


I had no intention of being a fan of the Royal Wedding.  I had avoided all the pre-programs and super guessing games and standard analysis and while I am not against happiness for this lovely couple...I really, really, really had no interest.

This morning I wandered downstairs to exercise (no applause as I haven't exercised in over a week) and flipped on the TV as I cannot run on the elliptical without some distraction.  I HATE aerobic exercise.  I had been watching a movie weeks ago on this channel and here at 5:30 in the morning... in my basement...what should I see... but the wedding procession just getting underway.  Since I was already on the running machine and had begun to work up a rhythm, I left the channel running.

It soon became fascinating.  All  the pomp and circumstance was captivating.  Even that old, cold Queen who had long ago given it up for England looked so lovely and warm.  No big grins on her face and no indication she was happy about this day...but she wore a lovely golden yellow and did allow a few royal smiles.  The sis almost outshone the bride with that lovely gown and the children were almost American in their desire for decorum to be over and done with already.

I heard that the wording had been changed to gender neutral...but they still went through the symbolism of the father giving away the bride as if she was property....or as if he had spent substantial time in raising her while her mother stood in silver gray in the background as mothers have done for centuries.  You know, the one who did the cooking, bathing, diapering?

The boys choir and the adult choir were stunning and the sermon to the couple was warm and intelligent, and all almost made me desire to get back into church attendance except there are no choirs or church bells of this magnificence in my neck of the woods.

AND I have to confess that I did tear up several times when I saw the love and excitement that the British citizens (all around the world) had for this beautiful couple.  I have to admit that this was the best reality show I have seen in a long time and I do wish them a lifetime of happiness and perhaps more important lots of good luck.

17 comments:

  1. Well, it seemed warmer than the wedding of William's parents. (I watched only snippets.) Let's hope the best for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I just finished watching it, or at least such details CNN gifts us with, and am left with snivels, continuity, and amusement as I can read lips. "Let's do it," he said, and they kissed. :) I was charmed even to Charle's DB car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They should have had you for an announcer because your rundown of the wedding is the only interesting one I have heard. I have tried my best to avoid the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, haven't been interested, just hoping these kids could have a good start and be happy without all the drama. I didn't watch it in the morning, but last night found myself staying up late for the recap.

    I did enjoy the pageantry and the shots of Westminster were amazing. I certainly wish them the best.

    And send you a clap for exercise, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched a video of the actual ceremony and noticed that William "gave" rather than "plighted" his troth. Interesting that they chose that to change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cor Blimey, Tabor, you do surprise me.
    I admit that the couple appear to be truly in love (after five years of living together that's quite an achievement). You sound positively drooling in your enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was not going to get up to watch, then an old friend invited me to come over with a few of her friends, and I too got caught up in it....My favorites....when he looked at her and whispered she was beautiful, and when they came driving out in the sports car with ballons and the license plate saying Ju5t wed....I think that was his mum's influence to just be normal when he can be....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally missed it, and have, in an embarrassed way, tried to catch up. Why did was the wedding on a Friday?

    I am crazy about the hats that the women guests wore. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. why did was? Make that "why was" It has always frustrated me that blogger doesn't allow you to edit your own comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And I have to tell you, when I read your title, "Romance," I thought - her husband has come home! :):)

    I hope his trip is going great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. colleen9:52 AM

    I avoided it to, feeling inundated with over-exposed chat about it. But I did catch some clips of it after the event and was glad I did. The kiss kept bothering me though because they showed it over and over and Kate's eyes look away and to the audience of admirers too quickly. I wanted a retake where she would take her time and kiss first and then wave.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved watching it also and usually do not watch television very much.
    Smiled, cried and happy for this seemingly normal young couple who were obviously so much in love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It came on before I went to bed after work, n i ended u staying up later than I'd wanted.
    Some of those hats tilted over faces were strange works of art, I thought. I got bored of the ceremony, n missed most of the after parade. Their 5 hours ahead of the East coast worked out goosd for me, but I felt like a crasher, n prob had a better view than the folks in the Abbey due to the way the nave was set up!
    I liked the Ivory wedding gown too.
    I tend to run outdoors, especially to the Parking lot at work- a long walk.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too thought the post would be about your husband returning. :)

    I watched some wedding recaps online. Kind of nice for the news to make such a fuss over a wedding, a celebration of love. I liked seeing the cathedral, the hats and the joy of the people.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I watched... enjoyed having the fairy tale revitalized! Wish them all the best :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can I just say this blog got me through the day today? Every time I read it, I just get more and more excited about what’s next. Refreshing blog and brilliant ideas. I’m glad that I came across this when I did. I love what you’ve got to say and the way you say it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I couldn't sleep so got up in the middle of the night to watch the pageantry. I confess, it spoke to me of a fairy tale romance that I dreamed of when very young.

    I loved Kate's (now Catherine)dress and it suited her perfectly. Pippa's dress was designed by the same designer to go with Kate's dress and the two were stunning together.

    It was so much better than poor Diana's wedding because there was love in this one.

    But OMG - those hats! Gah.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.