Thursday, March 31, 2011

Is That Fear I Feel Rising?

Fear when used with rational consideration of all the data can be a useful tool that is designed to protect us from possible danger. Fear when used with a lack of control and based only on emotion can be a disaster.  When fear becomes panic and we stop relying on the gray cells, then we are in for punishment.  I think the stories coming out of Japan show tremendous courage but also lots of rational thought.  Bold actions facing the fear were taken by individuals that saved many lives even though just running away would have resulted in the person insuring the safety of his/her own life alone.

Two months ago when I was staying at a friends home in central Florida, I had lots of time on my hands.  They live on several acres in lovely tropical woods and on a large freshwater spring.  I could take early morning or late evening or even mid-day walks and totally disappear from the site of the house for long periods of time.  The weather was comfortable, and except for the few rains, I was having fun with my camera capturing all the exotic stuff.


Florida is filled with beauty and this is mixed in with exotic alligators, poisonous snakes, and an odd plant danger or two.   I had the privilege of seeing a wild bobcat saunter across the front lawn one morning.  My walks were usually by myself, and being conscious of this, I was careful although not fearful.  During one morning I came across this snake skin beside the path.  This was a REALLY long snake, and so I became somewhat concerned.  There had been a 10-foot (non-indigenous) python seen crawling across the nearby road two winters ago on this property...but it was also found frozen to death in a nearby drainage pipe two days later.  AND what I had heard about pythons was that they NOT did sneak up on you and attack you as you were walking.  They look for much smaller prey.

Unless animals see us as dinner or cannot see a way out, I think in 99% of the other cases they try to avoid us.  I decided that a snake skin is not a snake and moved in slowly for a closer look.


Who knows what scratched ankles, broken limbs or painfully stubbed toes (not to mention damaged camera) I might have incurred had I followed my first instinct to run screaming down the path back to the house?  Fear is a guidance counselor...not a drill Sargent.  If you are having trouble understanding this post...click on the photo above.

(As a post script for all who are afraid of mother nature, afraid of there not being enough (of whatever) to go around, afraid of the news, afraid of people who look, act and think differently than you...you are in for a very long scary ride.  I am so sorry.)

16 comments:

  1. Great post! I especially appreciate the last paragraph. I was walking down my driveway last week when I saw two yearling bear cubs run across the driveway in front of me. I had been singing because I knew there were bears around. So I just kept singing, louder, and walking. I felt so honored to see the bears. And I figured my singing would keep mama away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, my curiosity was bugging me til I enlarged the photo. Winston C covered fear and that has worked most of the time for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That snake skin is very beautiful.
    I might have stopped and taken a closer look too, but very carefully indeed.

    On the whole, I spend a lot of time just wandering about in the wild, with the dog, and although I am not exactly 'Braveheart', I wouldn't let fear stop me. I am actually more wary of the odd lone human male I meet than nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a rope? wow. I would have sworn it was a snakeskin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post . Speaks to my post for today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been startled by the infamous Rope Snake myself. This is a good admonition to take a closer look at something if you are afraid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda sent me over and I'm glad I stopped by. I do NOT like snakes; even the 'rope' kind! I know they are not going to hurt me; for the most part and it's probably more of the Heebie-Jeebies that I get from snakes than a fear, but UGH!!!
    thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sympathy is well-placed. I think fear may be our greatest challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fear is a mind killer for sure!! Best to use your common sense and not run screaming at every shadow. So much life will be missed!
    Great post!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that was great! The very first glance when I enlarged the photo was "is that the tail end of a white fluffy poodle?" Then my senses got the better of me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very balanced and level-headed post. But I still get over-anxious about protecting my little dog! Have got to try and get over it. I'll think of your rope snake - it might help me to stop looking for danger and big dogs where there is little chance of either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this thesis, Human Behavior in Extreme Situations. What happened in Japan amazed me. The perseverance and patience of their people, while not new to me, is exciting and overwhelms me. Now with the thesis, I need to find personal accounts of people and their coping mechanism - if they fought, flee, or froze during the actual moment. Of course I need and want to know about those who chose the "fight" mechanism. Do you know of a good personal account from Japan?

    That thing on the picture would have scared me too. I always jump and look alert at the slightest of noise and touch. There is a heightened sense of alertness when caught in an extreme situation. Perception of these situations would help in dealing with the problem too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good thing Paige didn't see this- she's scared silly of snakes...

    I'm not, having been raised in an area with no indigenous poisonous species.
    Florida is scary to wander the woods- but I've done it back in '91.
    Saw alot of wildlife driving the Tami-Ami Native trail too- egrits, eagles, gators, n "Panther crossing" signs by the road- Didn't see any tho.

    I saw a tv show about loose Bermese pythons taking over FL- even eating gators- they can eat big things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just so you remember it won't always be a rope:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. yes, could see how that could make you do a double-take. glad you responded with a level head instead of falling and breaking ribs.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.