Saturday, March 05, 2011

Addiction


Food is some of the best part of travel.  I admit that I am addicted to chocolate and wine...in that order.  But coffee certainly comes in a close third.  My visit to Jamaica had to include a tour of a coffee plantation.  It wasn't much of a tour due to rainy weather and the members of our group for whom a flight of stairs was a challenge before even considering a hike up a hillside of coffee plants. The plantation owner's home (he no longer lives there) was beautifully kept.  I bought three eight ounce bags of Jamaican Blue.   It made it through customs in the U.S. easily.

Jamaican Blue is considered one of the most expensive coffees in the world.  (Forbes lists several coffees at $50 US a pound and I paid $30 US a pound for my Jamaican Blue...but this was AT the plantation.  It was $6 US more at the hotel.)  Most of this coffee is now in my freezer.  This plantation below is owned by a Japanese man, although run by a Jamaican and worked on by Jamaicans.  As a note, most of the Jamaican Blue coffee goes directly to Japan and I could not find this estate in any of my research on coffee reviews.  I did taste it at the estate and while it is not a robust coffee, it was nicely full-flavored and a little sweet.  Certainly better than anything I can get at Starbucks or other.  The guide told us that it is not the caffeine that gives one a boost after a cup but the other chemicals and/or sugar in the coffee...news to me.  I got my boost from the mountain views.






Green coffee beans.

14 comments:

  1. I love Jamaican coffee - can smell the aroma over the miles :) Wish I lived near you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a BEAUTIFUL place to stay! I too love Jamaican Blue - wish I could get it around here. Yum Yum, absolutely divine. I am with you - Chocolate & Wine & Coffee.

    Two of these will go during lent - but not the coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coffee makes this cat to hyper, I may go and poo my pet diaper.
    But oh how I'd like to go some place warm, with out a bug swarm.
    Nice read and nice pic, now I must give my hair a lick.
    I hope I don't cough up a hair ball, as that really makes me come to a stall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never tasted Jamaican coffee!! And what beautiful photos!! Gorgeous place!!
    Me? I love coffee and this would have been right up my alley!!
    Thanks for the info!!
    I will have to try me some Jamaican coffee and soon!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. We order coffee beans online from Really Great Coffee called "Jamaican Me Crazy". Even our youngest grandchild loves the aroma when I grind the beans.

    Have you ever tasted Choco Vine? It is a chocolate dessert wine that is to die for.

    I am jealous of your travel:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate and wine? Yes please. Any time.
    Coffee? Only if it's decaf, then yes please, ditto.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I have ever had Jamaican coffee, but it sounds great.

    I love to see pink houses near the sea: they look just right there for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Three 8 ounce bags sounds like you were buying something illegal. LOL!

    Jamaican Blue might be a good code name for the illegal stuff, too.

    Seriously though, I love coffee. That sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tabor, I love coffee also. Bet that Jamaican Blue is incredible... I love all of your Jamaican pictures on BOTH of your blogs. What a gorgeous place...

    Glad your daughter is doing well--and hopefully, she'll have that big baby SOON... Keep us posted.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous4:45 PM

    Coffee is number one on my list. This was very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos of the scenery! So I'm curious, did the place have the aroma of coffee? That would be heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting post..! I like to have that coffee... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That plantation is lovely....I love the smell of coffee more than anything, but, I drink diet coke. Boring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The photograph of the beach and bay looks like the place where we were busted during a cruise stop in Jamaica. We strode into the hotel like we belonged there, and had just got comfortable on the beach, when a pair of big burly security guards arrived to firmly kick us out because we didn't have the hotel wrist bands. We giggled all the way to the street, stopping to take our pictures by the pool, feeling like a crowd of teenagers.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.