Thursday, December 09, 2010

Thursday Thoughts 13... #30: Blogging Along

Doesn't this look so neat and clean   ;-)

  1. According to my Blogger statistics readers have searched and found my blog with the phrase "i think too far ahead" and "bad karma stories."  Is that flattering or scary and should I be concerned?
  2. I used to have 58 followers here.  I know that is not many for those of you in the solid 3 and even 4 figures, but I lost one follower the other day.  Was it something I wrote?  That hurts because while I love my followers I am not very good at cultivating them. A 'princess' has joined my entourage since I wrote this...so I am back to 58...no back to 57!  Did I lose another one?
  3. I am currently using '50.7%' of my Picasa photo storage for Blogger.  As a person who took almost 900 photos just last month and deleted only 400, the fear of the eventual need to upgrade storage in my blog photos stalks my every post.
  4. I am trying to wean myself from checking Blogger a half dozen times a day (or more!) when I am home alone.  I need to enrich my life, I guess.  I am so addicted to your comments and to the fact that you read what I say and I even do not mind criticism (polite suggestions on viewing things a little differently) although most bloggers are too polite.  Maybe I could be Fran Lebowitz and not care what people think.
  5. I also am dismayed by the bloggers that I link to that have quit posting...I just can't seem to find the courage to remove those links from my list.  I also feel the same way about FB.  People befriend me and then NEVER post anything!  I wish I had the courage to defriend them as they have become stalkers in my mind...but they KNOW me, so it is not as easy to do as it might be in my blogging network.
  6. I actually am trying to consciously keep my blogger reader demographics broad.  I know that I have much in common with those my age and with my interests, but for the same reason I will never live in a retirement community, I am trying to proactively add younger readers and readers with different views to my lists.
  7. If you think you have been blogging a long time, the first blog (daily online journal) was published electronically in 1994 by a young man named Justin Hall and the link to that blog is still ongoing and here.
  8. In 2004, "blog" was the word of the year...I didn't know they had a word-of-the-year.  I am so stupid sometimes.
  9. The precursor in naming a blogger or online journalist was escribitionist.  Maybe that should be a word of the year.  (Colleen, see if you can work that into your next Scrabble game.)
  10. I look at blogging as chapters of a diary of someone's life and Facebook as the footnotes (which are sometimes more like anecdotes or my   daily boring life activity notes).
  11. Is it true that a new blog is created every second around the world?  How many die every second?
  12. Perhaps the most important change blogging has made is allowing social activism from the smallest 'end of the tail' and not just from the large and 'popular' opinions.  Information is powerful, especially when we find others thinking like us.
  13. The most important change for me is learning that you do not have to meet someone face to face to get to know them and sometimes there is a little magic that happens in blogland and we become very good friends.  I can remember how shy and intimidated I was about blogging when I first started.  

24 comments:

  1. Ah Tabor, you are so often the first to comment on my little blog, and I can't quite believe that I am finally doing that here. I love your wry outlook on life, your honest way of presenting your thoughts, and your wonderful photos. Don't worry about the silly followers widget. Who knows why people come and go? Banish the damn thing, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still surprised that people actually read my blog!!
    The comments made on my blog...make my day!! I love to read them...so I know how you feel!
    And making friends in blogland is so cool!!! So many wonderful people I have met! Like you!!!
    Hugging you
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure I knew what to expect when I started blogging. It is a wonderland, though. I am not near tired of it. Reading or posting.

    I tend to gravitate to those that think as I do. I find myself agreeing with what they post. If not the words, sometimes the beautiful pictures will catch my interest in a blog.

    I try to delete blogs that have not posted in 2 to 3 months but I cannot do it. I still go back and check them. Almost daily. I know there is a feature that will tell you who posted recently but for all my technical prowess I find myself NOT using them.

    I say "write on!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think about the fact that I would have died a thousand deaths had anyone read my diary when I was a teenager. Now I post random thoughts for the entire world to read, should anyone care to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Escribitionist? describes me perfectly!!

    And we are never stupid, just sometimes uninformed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi There, I don't worry so much about my followers. They come and they go. Some follow me --who have never ever commented... I have no relationship or interest in them. What I love are the comments...

    I started blogging in 2006 --so I've been at it for a long time. However, from 2006-2009, I was blogging mostly to myself --since I was on another blog site and got almost no comments. That site is now GONE, along with all of my blogs from back then.

    I switched to blogger at the end of 2008 --and it's been fabulous ever since. I am truly addicted to it. I have one blog and am not on Facebook (or any other site like that). I put my full attention to my one blog --and it has worked well for me. I do take weekends off and holidays and vacations ---so that gives me time to regroup and recharge my batteries.

    I switch around in your blogs --searching for ones of interest to me... I don't know how anyone can keep up with more than one blog. But you do it well.

    Have a great day and enjoy your blogging.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading your blog, I don't always comment. You are so literate and your take on the world is quite original and interesting. I started my blog to keep in touch with my sisters and write down some family stories. I've strayed. Life is taking a new turn and so will my blog eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed this post. I share many of your thoughts about blogging. However, I do differ on checking statistics. I use no statistic devices, they drive me crazy. I write for my pleasure and the joy I experience from readers that comment. I don't have time to fret the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. #3. Photos. If you host them elsewhere like Snapfish or Flikr, then add them here via code, very little get's put into Picasa. I deleted everything and found all my banners and portraits gone. Taught me a lesson.

    Yes, I have few readers....fewer who leave notes here. I get about 22 notes a day over at Open Diary....a hive community I agree, it''s too easy to be a note hog. I'm off to be miserable at the dentist's. Hugs and we love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand. :) Today, I'm allowing my addiction to take control. Been sitting here for over an hour now, and will probably read another half hour.

    The followers - my number has gone up and down, but I don't know who leaves; I just figure there's a good reason. I'm still just happy to read your blog and others when I can, and to hear from you all once in a while. :)

    On another note, have you thought about adding an email address to your profile. I was convinced to do so by my readers, and have enjoyed being able to send a personal response back to them with a quick tap of the "reply" key. And they sometimes respond to my comments on their posts too.
    Just something to think about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ditto Ditto Ditto! You're doing better than me. I have only had one comment all day and it's Thursday! Is it something I said?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anitta,I do have a blogger email...but so rarely visit it that I miss comments from folks. I have emailed a few bloggers behind the blogging screen but hesitate to start that process!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think I have committed to be a follower.... though you know that I read your every post. So you can count me (the phantom follower)any time you get nervous about your numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous4:41 PM

    I think people are busy this time of the year. A couple of my friends who don't see the inside of the mall all year, spend December out and about.

    My blog reading time is the late afternoon, right before I make supper. Once in a while I will check my blog, and maybe Facebook, but I have to say, I am not a good Facebooker.

    By the way, I think you are up to 59.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tabor,you were one of the first to comment when I started about 2 years ago. I do not have a place where followers sign in. Started what I call an online journal mainly for grandchildren to know their grandma and am amazed at those who enjoy my sharing. My camera has brought me much joy.
    All ages leave comments.
    Thank you for always being there - your writing and images have given me something to strive for - even though I will never arrive :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not into the following thing, but try to read every post of yours. They are so insightful and interest, too.
    Not doing much with my blog. I seem to be in a transition stage, and very hesitant to go beyond my privacy comfort zone.
    I always enjoy your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great, you have answered a lot of the questions that have been accumulating in my mind about blogging and bloggers. It is a weird world we inhabit.

    When I mention to people that I regularly blog they tell me to get a life. I don't know any other bloggers locally and those who know that I blog see me as some sad computer nerd.

    I have learnt a lot through blogging, met some lovely people as well as bores, of course, and on the whole, I have never come across a rude or unkind blog or comment.

    I am hooked and will probably carry on for some time to come.

    Followers come and go, Tabor, I have lost a dozen or so and I have myself left blogs which promised more than they delivered.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My blog is wordpress and doesn't have the same protocols as blogger, so I don't have statistics in the same way. It's difficult to know how many people actually see mine because I know that there are lots of friends who check in once a week (they don't use an rss reader.) As for yours, Tabor, I like your quirkiness and your common sense and the lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. When I started blogging, I was very conscious with what to write and intimidated with amazing writers and poets. It was only when I started to be me that I was able to make posts that satisfy me.

    I am also surprised (and very very thankful) that you still read my posts. Thanks for all the comments Tabor.

    Salamat :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's me again. I hope I'm not belaboring the subject, but I'd like to respond to your comment.
    When you comment on my blog and it comes to my email inbox, instead of an email identification, yours shows up with noreply-comment@blogger.com. I checked your profile and did not see an email address under the photo, which usually means the email address "being shown" option is not set up.
    So the only way I can respond back to you is to write it on my blog post or come over to your blog and write it here.
    Initially, I opted not use the option on my blog because I did not feel that I could maintain back and forth dialogs with my readers, but I now use it to say a quick thanks or some other quick comment that will go directly to their email inbox.
    Undoubtably, another of your committed readers will eventually ask you the same question. So, just giving you the warning. :)
    Until the next post...EnJoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You probably have more followers than you know. I read both your blogs, for instance, but I'm not a Blogger blogger, so can't show up as a follower.

    It's interesting, the audience thing. We all enjoy connecting with other souls, I think. But after all the frenetic Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn "friending," it seems like a popularity contest sometimes, and sometimes unrelated to the quality of one's writing, or photography, or poetry, or brainwaves.

    However, I think quality is more important than quantity when it comes to the audience, too. And one of the reasons I enjoy stopping by here is the intelligent audience, and the fine writing I've found on several of their blogs, too.

    Holiday Cheer

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, this sounds like me too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's an interesting society, this blogging world. I'm quite addicted to it, myself. I wouldn't worry about the followers coming and going. It happens to me all the time. My numbers rise and then they fall. I have no idea who's leaving and I'm not too concerned. We're not always everyone's cup of tea.

    I agree with Anita's comment about your email. There have been a few times when I've wanted to say a particular something or other to you and felt the frustration of not being able to make contact outside of the blog. That's a personal choice of course but allowing access by email just makes things easier for some, at time.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.