Sunday, December 12, 2010

Reflecting On A 'Reasonable' Request



Years ago when I was in my twenties and thirties I was a big American football fan. I started my interest while in college watching various college football games and then male friends spurred (?...in oh so many ways?) my interest in professional football.  I knew the players and the team rankings.  I think it was after my children were all potty-trained that I realized I had outgrown this sport. The talking heads talked way too much, the replays from every angle possible went on too long and the drugs and money were too mind boggling for me to look at these guys as athletes anymore. I began to see that a 10 second play took more than three minutes to review/discuss/repeat.  (This was not the fall of the Berlin Wall, after all.)  Football is now the absolutely SLOWEST game on the planet in a culture that encourages video games with numerous explosions and demolition derbies.  In America there are homes where games can be on back to back for 9 hours on a weekend day!  When get-togethers were just the blood relatives I would busy myself with cleaning up dishes after Thanksgiving or watching something else somewhere else while the gang watched their games.

Today if there is a game (and puleeze when isn't there a game?) I retreat to read in the bedroom or hubby heads to our TV downstairs while I watch something I had previously recorded.  If the game becomes a bore, he re-joins me in a short time.  A few weekends ago I had planned a nice dinner for my daughter, who with two little ones and a pending child, rarely gets a break.  I selected several CD's for nice casual dining atmosphere and had them playing.  When they all arrived I was outside on the deck handling a small emergency for my husband involving a deer, a gun and the neighbors.  I was greeted on the deck by daughter and kids but after 10 minutes wondered where S.I.L. was.  I went back inside to find he had turned off the music and turned on the football game.  He was standing watching it even before he had greeted his host or hostess!  I let him know in no uncertain terms that I at least expected a hug and greeting BEFORE football took his total attention!  This real issue, which a mother-in-law will bravely admit, is that I do not get a chance to visit with my daughter as I would like because she is the one babysitting while her husband is watching the game.  There are some men that can do two things at one time...but I do not know many of them.

My son's 'new' girlfriend recently turned 33.  She had planned a birthday party at her house with the theme on threes.  She set up her Ipod for her favorite music.  She had cooked various meals with three ingredients or three in the name but was dismayed to find when she emerged with snacks from her kitchen the guys had turned off her Ipod speakers and turned on the TV for their Alma Mater game!  Their argument was that it was THEIR college and they really wanted to see this.  Her argument was that it was HER birthday and she wanted conversation and music!  She, being the hostess and knowing her mind, won.

Does anyone else find football addiction as rude and intrusive as I do?  Shouldn't the hostess be the one to determine if she wants a pseudo tail-gate party or an actual get-together where you play games or talk with friends and family or break-up into sports and mind groups?  If someone says lets get together and eat before the game...that is different.  But does every weekend get-together have to be a game day?  Am I being hopelessly narrow-minded or very naive or heading down a path of no return?

22 comments:

  1. OMG! My sisters HATE the football quandary. As for me if anybody walks into my house and changed the channel on my t.v.(or turned the music off and the t.v. on) I'd probably shove the remote up their arse. WTF?!

    LOL! Usually my remote is put up high so the dogs cannot get to it, so nobody can ever find it anyway.

    Unplug and hide the cable box before they get there the next time. Evil grin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and it sounds like your son may have found a keeper this time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another reason I hardly ever watch TV - besides being boring beyond belief most of the time, it makes others boring, too! My daughter and SIL like to watch football. They live in FL. I live in MA. No problem there ;) Fortunately the rest of my children can either take it or leave it or they restrict their game watching to times when they are home alone :) I must have done something right...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not understand or enjoy sports but we have one grandson who will surely become a sports journalist. He loves all sports and his enthusiasm makes me willing to keep the games on. To hear him sit with grandpa, dad, brothers and the other fans and literally eat up every program fills my heart more than music could. That group is in the den and we can have the music going in the living room/kitchen area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My football and your football are probably not the same game, but that doesn't really matter, it is men and sport on TV that are the culprits here.

    Beloved will watch some sport while I do something else in another room. No problem. Anybody visiting does NOT get to watch TV in my house unless that was the plan, which it never is. No visitor would dare switch on the TV in our house without asking first and certainly not to watch something that only they choose.

    What happened to good manners?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always got a headache on Sundays in my house, I figured from the droning of football on tv. Luckily my husband doesn't follow it much and I never do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's that cliche? Fighting a loosing battle?
    I don't know what it is about sports, but forbidding the viewing of a game or partial game, probably means that that particular quest will not come back to your home when the big game is on.

    Oh, and mom always taking care of the kids during dinner, the game, whatever...that's a sad reality too.

    But what would we do without the fellows? And what would they do without us? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anitta I am not talking about forbidding the game, if it is a big day or a particularly important game I can understand...but it seems that every single weekend HAS to be 6 hours of football. Tell me, honestly, would the men let you watch 6 hours of soap operas while they cooked and babysat on the weekend, every weekend? If not, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That would drive me nuts. Fortunately, I don't know anyone who would take over my TV like that without some prior discussion about it, anyway. I don't mind if the game is important, or even if it's only quietly on in the background while other things are going on. To just come into your home and turn off your music is most annoying. It's like rearranging your furniture to suit their tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's amazing that this is how we now get together... I too find it quite annoying that sports has become more important than communication at gatherings. Unfortunately it looks like they win, and on a certain level humanity loses.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:40 PM

    Thank God my husband doesn't care for it either. I have had an experience with company like yours, though. It did put a damper on the day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a very nice person. I can't imagine anyone walking into my house, turning the TV on, and/or turning music off. If I'm watching I turn it off when someone shows up, real live people hoorat. I think I would resort to one or more of Peruby's solutions. Maybe you could announce ahead of time it was a no-tv event.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is why I am so glad that nobody in my family is a football fan. We are gloriously oblivious to it all and it's really great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was a football widow before I was a widow widow. I prefer the former to the latter.

    I really never liked or understood the game - but loved the beautiful fall afternoons in the great stadium cheering on the Missouri Tigers...and I LIVED for the halftime performances of the Marchin Mizzou!

    As for the rude behavior of your guests ...it's always so disappointing when things don't go as planned...though I'm not sure you would find many OREGON DUCKS who would take you seriously these days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am the odd one out here. I enjoy football and my husband and I watch every Sunday and Monday night. If the game gets too boring...we just talk or get on our computers. If we are at someone's house. We forgo the watching of games. Unless they turn it on...then we have the best of both worlds. Friends...family and football!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, oh yes. What a waste of time it is. Yes, American football splits families, divides households, and can split national feeling. I ignore it.

    Yes, I was in the Military, but I also worked security and guest services for baseball and football. Everything is done with military time. Monday mornings, the only way I can survive is to time my life.

    Bravo to you. Next time, just unplug the TV and hide the remote. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi There, I am one female who still loves football (and most sports). I have always been a sports fan... SO--to me --having football on doesn't bother me. BUT--I do respect others who don't enjoy it. If I am at someone's home and they prefer not to have the TV on, that is fine... It's all a matter of BALANCE I think.

    6-8 inches of snow here --and it's still snowing.. That is NOT balance... ha
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tabor, I agree with you... In another life - football was always on. Sometimes 3 televisions :)
    In this small home I put a tv on the loft. It was an excellent idea. Now when someone visits and wants to watch something they are not in my area. Also great when little ones want to watch a dvd.
    I have always felt that when someone visits you and turns on your tvj - that is really rude.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I suppose you could say that they feel so comfortable in your home that....umm....no, I'm with you on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL Peruby has the way it goes in my house. I like to get to actually talk to guests.
    My pet pev is the darn cell phones & texting, rude!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm afraid there are too many people for whom conversation is both old-fashioned and difficult. They've been betrayed by their televisions...

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have always hated to have to watch football; a game I have never been interested in. Both my sons-in-law are/were football fanatics and every weekend is the same - more football. God save me.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.