Friday, December 03, 2010

Happy Shopping Day



In the 'Western' world during the months of November and December we go through an amazing transformational panic to try and buy things for gifts that can show our loved ones, our enemies and our bosses (with which have that love/hate thing going) that we are smart, efficient, rich and worthwhile as human beings.  Each gift purchase opens us to years of angst and cringing if we get it wrong.  We have a religious holiday called Black Friday which follows the Thursday of Thanksgiving and devout pilgrims of this procurement ceremony Friday wait in long lines outside malls and stores in the dark of earliest morning drinking hot drinks and chatting amiably only to be seriously maimed or even trampled to death by their greedy fellow shoppers when the store opens before the sun rises.  This is followed by a recent acquisition holiday called Cyber Monday where the rest of the rich sit on their fat butts in front of computer screens checking their emails and tweets and perusing the web sites of their favorite stores for that deal of deals...sometimes forgetting they are buying for others and find something that they will buy for their greedy selves.

Well, I have an idea.  Now that both of those important signpost days have passed, and if you still have empty places on your list of gifts for loved ones and un-loved ones, you might consider these socially conscious shopping sites for a change:

CharityGiftCertificates.org

GiftsThatGive.com

Globalexchangestore.org

Globalgirlfriend.com

Goodshop.com

Teesforchange.com

WorldofGood.com

I have gotten these links from reliable sources but I have not actually used them...yet...and, if you really want to get into the spirit, go to your local big box store and buy a few cases of non-perishable food items (some of your favorite stuff AND something healthy) and drop it off at your local food bank.

Happy Shopping.

10 comments:

  1. I get together with five other girls and a few extras now and then (we have done this since the mid-80's). We used to buy Christmas and birthday gifts, but after so long we are like "Enough already!'

    We donate to charities, food banks and toys for tots, now.

    There is so much need in the world and on the flip side, so much waste.

    Great ideas you have listed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and Peruby: Enough already!

    We hardly give or receive any presents at all, maybe a book or a cd or a bottle of something. Even the grandchildren have to be satisfied with that, poor kids.
    (actually, I don't think that is altogether fair, but that's the rule in our house).

    We do charitable giving but we do that during the rest of the year anyway.

    We certainly don't have these new 'holidays' you speak of; that sort of thing sounds horrific.

    What the reason behind them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do Toys for Tots and a local food bank. And my son has five kids...so I consider them a charity too! Ha!
    school clothing is what I do!!
    I so enjoy the holidays...my favorite time of year. I even enjoyed Black Friday...got a winter coat for next to nothing! Woot!!
    As for giving...I do that all year long. The food banks need us every month of the year...not just Christmas and Thanksgiving!!
    Great post
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the list and the great ideas. Send a love letter to your loved ones, notices of your charitable giving in their names to the rest, and have yourself a merry "little" Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right about the waste during the holidays. Those "required" kiss-up gifts are just dollars thrown out the window. We don't do any of those.

    Our grandchildren pick what they want online and within a certain price range and I order it for them. This way I know it is something they want and they can't wait to get the word to start shopping. The only physical shopping trip I will take will be for our 4 year old little girl Angel Tree. I will purchase one or more of the things she has requested. Our church Christmas projects and The Salvation Army are the two Christmas charities we support because we know the majority of the donation goes to the specific need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas. A donation to charity in the gift recipient's name makes a perfect gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful idea Tabor, especially for the adults on our lists. My sisters and I were just talking about that. My favorite is a check to the local food bank. They can buy wholesale and get more of what they need for your money than if you buy the groceries yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Last year a couple of grandchildren gave us a sheep and a cow. That was the perfect thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS: this is really the perfect solution. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been away from reading for quite some time, and it is nice to get back to reading with this entry! I love your links, for sure!

    We love giving gifts to our family members, but aren't heading into debt to do it, thank heavens. I also always give someone gifts from Heifer International (www.heifer.org). This year my sister turned me on to this web site - http://unchaindogs.net/holiday2010.shtml - which is funding the building of fences so that dogs can be in fenced properties instead of being chained out. It is what I asked for (donations there) for christmas :) Because what we REALLY want, you know, is just time with each other, and fabulous memories.

    Hope you have been well, I have missed you!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.