Friday, November 05, 2010

Sane (and Insane) Characters


Part II on the Rally to Restore Sanity:  

When we arrived at the metro station our first clue that we might have to eventually walk was when we saw the mass of people standing in front of the ticket machines. There were about 7 machines and all of them said NO BILLS which meant they only took change...anyone got $6 in change for the round trip?!  There were two machines that took credit cards. What a nightmare! We stood behind a nice looking young man in his 50's with perhaps his son in his 20's. They needed a little help with the ticket machines which we 'tried' to provide as we pulled out our credit cards. They had driven for about 5 hours coming from Kentucky. He explained that mostly angry people attended rallies there and it was hard to have a civil conversation on issues.  He needed this rally was to help him realize that the whole country hadn't gone crazy.  (An example of this type of anger that you can meet anywhere was also be found on Peruby's recent post...Being a gardener I was surprised to find they even blame the pumpkin shortage on this adminstration!)

We finally got to the very crowded metro platform, and after waiting 25 minutes, a train arrived that was so full of people it couldn't open its doors.  We then realized that more time even hours would pass before we could get on a train.

Standing nearby we got to talking to a couple our age that had flown in from Monterey California two days earlier.  He had a business meeting, but they had decided before they left California to stay for the rally. She was an American citizen born in France and he was an American citizen born in in India.  She was as round as he was thin, but both were full of energy.  All four of us decided we had to walk to the rally.  Good thing they were regular bikers and we were regular hikers because it was at least 6-7 miles before we could catch a cab to take us the last 2-3 miles closer to the mall.

Once at the mall we had to wiggle and squeeze between many bodies to sneak closer to the front just to see the screens and be able to hear the speakers.  I stood mostly in a group of young people perhaps 18-25 years in age, but in front of me was a young couple with a baby (!) and directly behind us stood a retired couple.  My feet did go numb after standing for 3 hours...but that passed once I started walking again after the rally was over.

We waited almost two hours after the rally (getting some chocolate and cabernet savignon at Co Co. Sala's) before deciding to try to catch a metro home.  The crowds were still large but manageable.  On the metro we met and assisted two young college kids from Boston with directions.  They had to ride the metro out our way as they had a gift certificate for free meals at a restaurant on our metro stop.

This was NOT a political rally (no political speeches--no politicians) but a few signs carried by rally attenders made fun of the conservative Fox News Channel which had been caught reporting news using inaccurate videos or by focusing repeatedly on inaccurate re-statements said by their pundits.

As a famous liberal columnist said :  "The rally was a simple reminder that certain things bring out the best in people, and certain things bring out the worst. It's not that the people who attended the rally or watched it enthusiastically on television were nicer or better than those who didn't. It's that the rally tapped into the humanity we all share, but that is rarely called forth, shown, or celebrated by our media or our political leaders. As promised, the rally was non-partisan -- making the mainstream media's unwillingness to allow their reporters to attend all the more ludicrous. Not surprisingly, many in the media seem to have totally missed the point of the day, even though Stewart clearly laid it out in his brilliant closing speech. Better to miss the point, and dismiss the event, than deal with the witty but powerful indictment the Daily Show host delivered."

Having never attended a rally, I am glad that I went to this one. I still think that the reasonable people of this world will emerge as leaders and statesmen and that those of the angry rhetoric will be seen for the immature and uncreative approaches they are using in these trying times.  

I must say that I am gloomed by the fact that among those re-elected to high office recently was a Senator that believes that carrying AK-47 weapons is 'normal' and a right at a political rally, believes that repealing the Civil Rights act is not dangerous but a good thing for American business, and that stomping on the head of a small women by a grown man as another grown man stands by yelling is "unfortunate" but not necessarily something he has control over among his supporters, they are just so passionate and ardent about their beliefs.   He will soon be a very powerful person in our government in that he will be able to stop legislation single-handed via filibuster
(Apologies for the screwy fonts...Blogger has me on the ground with its foot at my neck.)



15 comments:

  1. I hardly dare say this but from this side of the big pond American politics are a frightening sight. Not that we don't have enough imbeciles here too but they usually don't get elected to anything.

    So having you point out that there are plenty of sane people too is a great help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a brave woman to go to a Washington rally! I hardly dare say this either but even from our own side of the big pond, American politics seem crazy. But then again, I live in South Carolina which is the whoopie cushion of American politics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you using their editor? I copy and paste from Word.

    I'm beyond appalled at this election. Pretty soon, women won't be able to have a CC in their own names, and give it a week and we won't be able to vote either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your experiences at the rally. (It sounds slightly insane, but hey...)
    B&B: "The whoopie cushion of American politics"...too funny. Remembering that to myself may just get me through my next visit to SC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for attending. It was streamed online but I'd missed a big chunk. Thanks for bringing me along this way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't have lasted 1 hour standing on my feet, much less walking for miles. I'm glad I could watch it in the comfort of my living room where I had a ring side seat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:11 PM

    I am so glad to read about the rally here. Thanks for your interesting view of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the link to my post. I was surprised and at first said "I posted about anger?" Then I remembered.

    I DO wish my daughter and her friends had made it there, but I was relieved when they changed their plans because of my "mommy" fear.

    I cracked up when you said "Blogger had you down on the ground with it's foot on your neck." Although when I saw that video on television I was horrified.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am full of admiration that you went on this rally. It sounds more hopeful than the things we hear on the news over in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So Very Very Delighted that you attended this rally! We were unable to go, but feel much better knowing that you were there!

    I wonder if it can have any lasting impact, and pray that it can. Too many extremists, too many people who don't seem to really know what this country was based on.

    Very Very proud of you! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:00 AM

    Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, reading this gives me the flavor of what it must have been like. Just getting there was quite the adventure.

    Surely the imbeciles who just got elected will crash and burn before the next 2 years are out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi tabor. date for the submission of entries was moved to november 14. i hope you'll join our project. we'd like to see your photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You went! Your account brought back memories of being there twice to protest the Iraq War. I dread going to DC because of those metro machines, for one thing. I took a bus full of other protesters for one of the marches and Joe was my chauffeur for another.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for this.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.